Diablo® III

Breath of Heaven 15 second cooldown?!

I've been playing a Monk since day one and as I am about to hit level 60 and advance on to Inferno I can't help but notice how many times I die with 2 or 3 seconds left on my cooldown for Breath of Heaven. It seems properly cost-ed but when it only restores 20%-30% of my life, why does the cooldown take so long? What is Blizzard so worried about that they can't bring the cooldown to something reasonable like 10 seconds? It doesn't have to be overpowered, just make it a little more useful. After all, we ARE the healing class.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I shouldn't even be using BoH at this level. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
I do not believe it is the cool down that should be discussed, but rather the amount that this ability actually heals. The amount healed is rather low at level 60, that is all =P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
It should probably change from a fixed amount to a % of monk max health, is what I'm thinking and wondering why it isn't that already.
Reply Quote
I agree with both of you - although % of max life could easily be broken. Either way, I'm finding its current values useful except for the a fore mentioned cooldown time.
Edited by Bharott#1907 on 6/14/2012 1:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Or you could just make it to heal static 25%? That's more if you have more HP, less if you don't.

Screw that. it sucks if it's static. :)) Well.. it's also not that good if you make it without cooldown, it'll be "broken" IMO. If you increase it however, it may be better to just scale with the level of the user which is whats it doing now, but put a bit of increase on it.

Maybe the heal now +10%(?) of max HP or something? The 10% is really open for discussion, just thrown a random number there.
Reply Quote
06/14/2012 01:38 AMPosted by Chrizzle
Well.. it's also not that good if you make it without cooldown, it'll be "broken" IMO.

The idea is not to give it no cooldown. Just one that is commensurate with the ability's current effectiveness. So about 7 to 10 seconds.
Edited by Bharott#1907 on 6/14/2012 3:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I dont agree with the OP on this one. I think the amount it heals is fine and feels nicely balanced..

I think the point you guys are missing, is that it doesnt scale with vitality, it scales with damage reduction.

Im working through Act III Inferno at the moment, with 25k hp, 40% dodge, 26% block, blocking up to 4.7k damage, 2.2 attacks per sec, with 10k armor and 1k resists across the board. I have no life on hit, no life steal and minimal regen (about 150/s)... I generally rely on my Trancendance passive and fast spirit regen, so i can spam my spirit dump to keep me alive. If i cant keep up with the incoming damage, i pop a CC cool down, like BoH with the Penitent Flame rune, to break the npc's up, or just give me a breather to recoup some extra hp. If this doesnt work, ill kite and reposition, so im not getting surrounding.. i love funnelling npc's into a corridor and relying on the knockback from my fists of thunder to mitigate most incoming damage. Of course these are just very general tactics and vary from monster to monster to a certain degree.

If i could use BoH even more frequently than i can already, Inferno would be easy....

Please let me fear all NPC's for 1.5 sec every 7 second - that wouldnt be overpowered at all...
Reply Quote
BoH heals? I thought that ability just gave you 15% more damage...

On a serious note though, I think that monk heals should scale off your weapon damage like all other skills.

%hp is silly as monks are not the hP tanks, that's the barb's niche.

Each and every ability that heals or regenerates monk hp should have a base component + a % of weapon damage as monks were advertised as a dps class above all else.
Reply Quote

I think the point you guys are missing, is that it doesnt scale with vitality, it scales with damage reduction.

Just quoting this to make sure it stands out. Same with potions, life on hit, life regen. Basically anything that fills the red bulb is more effective when you have more damage reduction.
Edited by InBobWeTrust#1763 on 6/14/2012 5:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Quoting this yet again because its something people don't seem to understand. With 9K armor/9K resists, you take 1/64th of the damage mobs deal. This makes your heals 64x as effective - healing the equivalent of 512K damage if you had no mitigation stats (assuming you get the 8K heal off BoH). That's pretty good scaling.
Reply Quote
06/14/2012 05:23 AMPosted by Hisar
With 9K armor/9K resists, you take 1/64th of the damage mobs deal. This makes your heals 64x as effective - healing the equivalent of 512K damage if you had no mitigation stats (assuming you get the 8K heal off BoH). That's pretty good scaling.

It may be good scaling, but look at everything it assumes! You're basically saying that this skill is "good enough" if you have a great set up and above average equipment. Putting those kinds of qualifications on it creates a HUGE false argument.
Edited by Bharott#1907 on 6/15/2012 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]