Diablo® III

Little help for those frustrated WDs

90 Goblin Death Knight
I have spent awhile in this game doing the glass cannon thing. Oh how i hated it. Got 1 shoted by everything. I had to play perfectly to make it any further and couldn't do act 2. I wanted to quit.

Then I saw a post on a different idea (can't find it now). It is really just a healthy mix. Get armor over 5k. Resistance over 400 (almost every piece of gear should have all resistance). Hp around 20k and damage around 30k. I can take several hits if I need to, and can solo act 2 with no real problems. The only mobs I have to avoid are ones that are MUCH faster than I am (such as small spiders). I'm getting lots of loot and cash, and ENJOYING MYSELF. DO i still die? Hell yes, but never to the point of frustration like glass cannon. And honestly, if you have played glass cannon it will only help you as you learn to kite properly and avoid things since that build =1 shot death.

Last night I played/carried my dh friend who went glass cannon through act 2. He was dead more than he was alive the entire time. He got so frustrated he rage quit before the end. Glass Canon is just too difficult for me and NOT FUN. If it works for you, great but if you are frustrated, try the balanced approach.

Try the switch over and you will be happier. Will be starting act 3 this weekend on inferno and do not expect any major problems as I will be doing some more gear upgrades.

Also, with talk of repair costs going up dramatically in the next patch, glass cannon will no longer be viable. Do the more balanced approach and you will start to enjoy the game again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
What build are you using with this? Sounds interesting and I'll try giving it a shot.
Reply Quote
How much have you spent to gather enough resist gear?
Reply Quote
Easiest way for those on a budget to gear for act2 w/ resist all is to get chromatic blues with +100 something intel or 100 something vitality. That will give you 50+ resist all per armor or around there. Pieces generally run anywhere between 3k to 100k each.
Reply Quote
5k armor and 30k dps.. doesn't seem likey.
Reply Quote
06/14/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Gentso
5k armor and 30k dps.. doesn't seem likey.

Does seem difficult, i'm just starting Act III and i'm sitting at 3300 Armor and 24k dps.

Then again I could ditch the mojo for a shield, but aside from that it's not the easiest to find replacements/upgrades to your gear that have similar stats in terms of int/resist/vit/etc, and also have +armor on them to get your defense up that high.

Doesn't sound impossible, just seems like its needs abit more fine tuning in terms of gears. Although I think it's still gonna be tough, i'm at 600 for all my resists (give or take 10) and Mortar or the occasional fireball still roasts me.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
My spec is for 95% of the game. Sometimes I respec for bosses:

Poison Dart-splinters
grasp of the dead-ubreakable grip
spirit walk-jaunt
wall of zombies-unrelenting grip
Hex-Jinx
Fetish Army-Leagon of Daggers

Pierce the Veil
Jungle Fortitude
Spirit Vessel

I'm guessing I have spent a total of about 2.5 mil for all the gear I have (found some obviously)

As I said earlier, priority for all gear is "all resistance" (try to at least get 50/gear piece), intelligence, and vitality while buying the highest armor you can afford.

The exceptions to this is weapon, off hand, gloves and boots. for weapon just buy a blue with highest dps you can afford. Currently i'm using a blue 941 but will be upgrading that soon. For off hand, make sure you look at damage first, buy a blue with damage that goes up to at least 300, 350 (pref) and either int or vitality as secondary. For boots get resistance, movement speed, and int or vit. For gloves get attack speed, resistance and int or vit. Make sure you get some attack speed on at least 1 of your rings and that is it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and i would be happy to help.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Oh, and my current readings are:

strength 276
Dex 425
Int 1398
Vit 582
Damage 29152
attack/sec 1.55
resistance ranges from low of 292 to high of 400
Reply Quote
Stag, I can't imagine not using Soul Harvest. Does your build still kick !@# without it?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Oh and my armor is 5030. I feel it is how I am suppose to play. on some bosses I will switch to soul harvest and a damage buff totem instead of hex (since it is useless against bosses) but don't really have a need. I can down them all with my normal spec as well. In act 2, I can kill things quick enough. 90% of normal mobs, will die after I cast grasp of the dead, step back a little and fire away. 99% (much larger mobs) will die with 2 of those. the last 1% i have to kite.

I can't stress enough that while not crazy dps that burns everything down in a second, it just feels right. What i mean by that is enemies don't die in 1 second but I have never felt that I was killing them too slow. The whole package just seems right in that i can take a hit when I need to (but i'm not a tank by any means), enemies die at a pace that feels right (but not in 1 second). It is just the right balance.
Reply Quote
I have tried glass cannon, sure the dps is nice but I found it the most frustrating to play. I have also played tanky, 4500 armor, 750 + all resist, 15k damage, 1200 life regen. I thought since I didn't like glass cannon , tanky would be the way to go. Well tank was fun for a bit, but the dps is just too low. If I want to solo, it takes forever to kill stuff and is not very fun either. This sounds like what I am going to try next. I think people don't have to take one extreme or the other and can settle somewhere in the middle and still do well. I'm going to try this out, thanks for the post.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]