Diablo® III

If you buy music online...

You are purchasing a "virtual" product. There is no real "tangible" value to it - other than the intrinsic enjoyment of listening to it.

There is really no difference between that and purchasing a virtual "sword" or "bow" in the game and getting intrinsic enjoyment from using that item while you play the game.

I'm not quite sure how people are having a hard time grasping that.

For myself, I can't bring myself to spending money to purchase items in the game - but I'm certainly not going to begrudge anyone else that wants to.

So can we put the debate to rest?
Reply Quote
also usually costs about $0.99 per item
Reply Quote
The issue isn't so much paying for items with real money, it's the fact that they built the entire game around frustrating people into forking over their own cash to get gear that would otherwise take forever to get.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The issue isn't so much paying for items with real money, it's the fact that they built the entire game around frustrating people into forking over their own cash to get gear that would otherwise take forever to get.

And this is different from diablo games in the past.... how?
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Nightprowler
also usually costs about $0.99 per item

same price as NL perf sup ap nigma
Edited by princeb#1711 on 6/15/2012 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
But that's the point. It's all relative. Digital music is still a "virtual" item.

Purchasing software in general is purchasing a virtual item.

I guess I'm trying to piece together why so many poeple are up in arms about people buying items for D2.... aside from the "special snowflake" syndrome... or people wanting people to play a game the way "they" thing it should be played.

In other words... if I paid $250 on "super awesome bow of slaying"... how does it affect another persons enjoyment of the game? (disclaimer: I have not, in fact, purchased a "super awesome bow of slaying" as I'm certain it does not exist in the game). ;)
Reply Quote
EDIT: Seems a mod moved the thread to Movies, TV and Entertainment based on my title... though the subject really was meant for the general forum.
Reply Quote
Stoney I have no clue where you're trying to come from with your point.

I'm not certain how you think my analogy doesn't work.

"value" is relative to the person purchasing a product.

"virtual" items are a product.

IF a person is happy with a product that they purchased, then I'm struggling with seeing how other people should care about that? i.e. how would a person buying an object in game affect your enjoyment of the game? Because they can kill a boss faster than you? If that's the case, then I'd submit that you're too worried about other people.

EDIT: To the mod that moved this topic to this forum: Is it possible this can get moved to the general form? That's where I intended it to be. I can change the title of the thread if you feel that's necessary.
Edited by LunarSolaris#1177 on 6/15/2012 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Captnronn

Maybe because the highest level loot can be acquired by simply playing the game? Can you do that with D3? With all the crap drops in the first couple of acts of inferno it's not exactly the case. The people who exploited their way to the end of inferno within the first few days of release have been selling !@#$ to other people for weeks now.
Edited by Cheaptricks#1218 on 6/15/2012 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You can't burn the super awesome bow of slaying to a CD.

CDs dont cost $250.

Noone can hack your music collection, or they dont want to.

You dont get banned or virused for buying music from other sites.

You can't or don't usually make money from selling your CD's at 150% the value you paid.
Edited by NeckRomancin#1308 on 6/15/2012 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
06/15/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Cheaptricks

Maybe because the highest level loot can be acquired by simply playing the game? Can you do that with D3? With all the crap drops in the first couple of acts of inferno it's not exactly the case. The people who exploited their way to the end of inferno within the first few days of release have been selling !@#$ to other people for weeks now.

This fallacy exists because people do 5 butcher runs then try to claim statistical significance.

If the AH didn't exist would you all happily grind away for months in Act 1, getting your "rewarding" drops, before finally getting enough gear for Act 2, or would you just complain that the game is too hard?

The AH exists for people to gear up faster then those who are just running off their own drops. In today's instant gratification society, this has translated to the AH is the only way to get gear.

Hint: The FASTEST way is not the ONLY way
Reply Quote
I pirate music.

That's how I justify ripping people off with faulty trading mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hmm a CD and a dil do are both physical items, and they both provide intrinsic enjoyment from using them. Therefore they must be the same thing.
Edited by Todd#6824 on 6/19/2012 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The reason people hate people buying items in a game is because it goes against the competitive nature of games in every way. If I was playing chess with someone and they were able to win by slapping a $20 down on the table instead of actually checkmating me then I would be infuriated. Games have changed over the years and are no longer competitive like they once were. Most games these days seem like interactive movies instead of games. I remember growing up playing battleship, stratego, checkers, chess, baseball, and soccer. The goal in these games is to win. All of these games are PVP in nature, but even in single player games people will pit their progression against others in the same competitive nature. If someone can buy there way to the top then what is the point of even playing. Might as well just slap some money down for a movie or something.

I play games with a competitive mindset and I play games to win (that is what is fun for me). Real money in a game is counter productive IMO because it has nothing to do with the game itself. It dethrones the REAL champions of the game and re-thrones those who may suck, but have fatter wallets.

Just think about it.

^^ This is why I believe real money transactions should not be in games. The idea is to buy the game itself and then play it for enjoyment. If you have to buy a whole bunch of other stuff after buying the game just to be able to enjoy it, then the game itself is probably not for you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]