Diablo® III

Recommended Corpse Spider Changes

Imo, the following should be modified with regard to corpse spiders (leaping spiders specifically).

1. Damage type. I think it should be poison. This is for additional synergy with the damage reduction passive. It would be great for tank docta's and additional group synergy at that point. Granted their are other options for applying the passive effect, just think this would be very efficient and get around some of the mana/range/AOE limitations that other spells have.

2. On hit effects: If damage is poison, reduce total % damage by leaping spiders and let allow one tic (very short DOT). Let that tic proc on hit effects such that the on hit effects don't stack to some ridiculous measure. Either that, or divide on hit effects by some number to balance with other attacks. Currently leaping spiders becomes useless vs. dmg reflect mobs because of this, even though the Jar can proc the effect. Once you get to act III inferno maintaining this as a main attack becomes nearly impossible imo.

3. Allow spiders to hit certain enemies and structures that they currently don't. Namely Belial, but also certain structures that require damage that aren't enemies. It is a pain to have to wear down a structure with grasp of the dead if you spec spiders + full crowd control.

4. Dampen the jar break sound effect. Please. With fast attack speed It's almost as annoying as the toad hemorrhoid scream.

I like the spell and will keep on using it. It and Toads are the most unique main attack spells we have in my opinion. Slight modification could make leaping spiders amazing, but I don't think the modifications listed would make it unreasonably amazing. Just my two cents.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Reply Quote
#1 most necessary change for spiders before anything else is to make all spiders 'leaping spiders' and come up with a different rune for 'leaping spiders'.
Reply Quote
Damage type. I think it should be poison

Absolutely not. I disagree completely. So many of our abilities (especially the ones that do realistic amounts of dmg) are already poison damage, meaning that whenever we encounter monsters with resistance to poison, such as Herald of Pestilence or elites with Plagued, we are cursed to inflict TERRIBLY low amounts of dmg to them. It's not fun, and personally I love that spiders are physical so I can take them down much easier now.
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Merk
#1 most necessary change for spiders before anything else is to make all spiders 'leaping spiders' and come up with a different rune for 'leaping spiders'.

This is a fantastic idea. Maybe you could keep the leaping spiders rune, but increase the jump range. For all other runes, the jump range could be significantly lower, but I agree they all still need to be able to jump.
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 09:12 AMPosted by Danomite

This is a fantastic idea. Maybe you could keep the leaping spiders rune, but increase the jump range. For all other runes, the jump range could be significantly lower, but I agree they all still need to be able to jump.

Completely agree. Add a rune that adds poison damage, make the base physical, have other effects that CC or increase dmg. Great suggestion.
Reply Quote
I agree with most of your changes except for the poison damage. Also, the biggest issue with spiders is that they do not crit properly. They don't seem to take plus crit damage and percentage into account.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I think that the spiders should naturally leap, and have leaping spiders be changed to make the damage higher and physical. The Spider Queen also needs to be made not worthless, by either massively buffing her damage, or allowing multiple ones to be out at a time. I wouldn't mind the Spider Queen rune to, instead of the current terrible effect, do the damage of all spiders to one target with the normal duration.

Total agree with the sound, though. And I like (term of) the hemorrhoidal scream of the toads. I just called it wailing like a retard.
Reply Quote
Also increase their damage, mainly spider queen her damage is only 1.0666...% per second for 15 seconds. 20% for all but leaping, fire, and queen would be fine, 25% for leaping, 30% for fire, and 60% or so for the queen giving her `4% per second.
Edited by Cormann#1108 on 6/15/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Spider Queen Variations I would like:

1. Assuming damage stays the same, have it either web lasso enemies to it at random (sorta like vortex) or slow enemies at random via web shots and give it a cool down similar to hex. Also, make it a road block for doorways (not sure if it is already, don't think it is).

2. Assuming damage stays approximately the same, have it follow close to the player and lay eggs that quickly hatch with spiders that do 15% damage or so. Basically cast that, run, and have a spidery version of blaze from D2's Sorc. Or, have it follow you and make a web path that slows/dmg's enemies a bit. Would fit in awesome into current kiting specs. No CD, just make it to where only one can be out at a time.

3. Assuming damage increase, have the queen "bite" and cause a slow/poison to keep an enemy close to it.

4. Make it a permanent summon with life like dogs or Garg and give it a 60 sec CD. Give it some minor CC or keep the AOE aura it currently has and speed it up to Garg base speed.
Reply Quote
Spider queen isn't broken. It's a decent 5 mana 15 second AOE. Used it for lol's in act 1 and 2 and was pleasantly surprised with its viability.
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Gentso
Spider queen isn't broken. It's a decent 5 mana 15 second AOE. Used it for lol's in act 1 and 2 and was pleasantly surprised with its viability.

I don't think we really talking about the skills as if they are completely broken, just listing some tweaks/changes that would make em' more fun to use or increase their utility/synergy with a few different established WD play styles.

Think about what would make the class function slightly better/smoother with a focus on the corpse spider skill. What changes could be made to the skill so it has a home in more WD's toolboxes? It's all for fun and doesn't matter at the end of the day, but it's fun to think about while I'm killing time till the clock strikes 4:00.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]