Diablo® III

Where exactly is the "carrot" in this game?

I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with the popular idiom "carrot and stick", but as I play this game I find myself asking what exactly is the motivational factor in this game?

Is it playing the Auction House?
Is it "farming" for gear?
Is it beating the same content on a higher difficulty?

What exactly is the reward that players are supposed to attain through playing this game?
Reply Quote
The carrot is a lie
Reply Quote
Authenticator.
Reply Quote
uhhh, it's a game? half of the threads on page 1 is fuking retarded.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Its the next patch you hope will make the game fun but doesn't!
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
My carrot is making real money on the RMAH.

We'll see how that works out.

The game is a mildly enjoyable diversion, but without that RMAH carrot I'd play it a lot less often, already.
Reply Quote
i believe in the carrot on the moon

the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

or any other fallacy you could put in this little box
Reply Quote
The motivation USED to be to try all kinds of different champions and builds using skill points in skill trees and attribute points along with unique gear combinations.

This game is however is not Diablo, its called Auction House Tycoon 3.
Reply Quote
Loot is the only carrot, as it is with previous Diablo games. You will be on an eternal quest for even more powerful gear to obliterate your enemies.
Reply Quote
I like killing demons.
Reply Quote
The carrot is selling items on the AH for 1.25 so that blizzard can take 1.00 off of that sale and give you a shiny quarter in their BNet Ballance, which you can then give it to them for wow!
Reply Quote
i believe in the carrot on the moon

the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

or any other fallacy you could put in this little box

But I'm not trying to prove a negative, I'm simply proposing a question. How that question is answered is up to complete subjectivity unless of course Blizzard chooses to answer it themselves.

All games follow a standard operating procedure where through the game's life cycle players feel the need to keep playing either to pursue goals, or a various multitude of reasons.

I'm simply asking what exactly is it in this specific game that is supposed to serve as the "push" for the player.
Reply Quote
Get moar gold and get moar items.
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 10:23 AMPosted by chinmi
the "carrot" is... you can get rich by selling items on the RMAH

Technically true, but that's not static. Loot is random, by yourself how much gear can you farm and sell for $250?

While Blizzard on the other hand has all these players playing the game finding loot that they can sell on RMAH and can sit back and collect money from every transaction that gets cashed out.

Imagine Blizzard gets $37 for every item that sells for $250 bucks. That's more than a 2 month game card to play WoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]