Diablo® III

SMS Spam Really?

An Earthquake hit Melbourne right after Blizzard shut down the servers to do maintenance, I blame Blizzard for this.

Damn you, Blizzard, you scared my cat!
Edited by Vim#1416 on 6/19/2012 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Also, you seem simple minded enough.. let me try this

"HEY YOU JUST WON YOUR OWN FREE ISLAND.. JUST EMAIL ME YOUR PERSONAL INFO SO I CAN MAIL IT TO YOU!"

I would be suspicious if someone wanted to mail me an island.
Reply Quote
An Earthquake hit Melbourne right after Blizzard shut down the servers to do maintenance, I blame Blizzard for this.

Damn you, Blizzard, you scared my cat!

Maybe it's too early in the morning, but I found this way funnier than I probably should have.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 04:16 AMPosted by Mucko
Oddly enough, I signed up for Blizzard and Paypal a week ago and received two spam texts yesterday. I doubt they sold my info but just thought I would add this to the conversation.

Good to see i am not the only one, of course this prove nothing, but interesting there more then just me.

Let see in a 24/48h or in a week to see how it is...
Reply Quote
I ate iberian jamon for the first time last week, then 2 days ago I won $300 on a slot machine! Everyone eat some iberian jamon and play the slots now to get your free $300!
Reply Quote
Anecdotal evidence mixed with conjecture, speculation, and fear mongering.
Reply Quote
View profile
Have received my first two advertisements on my cellphone in the entire 2 years I've had it only since attaching it to my battle.net account.

Thank you OP, I really just wanted to think it was a coincidence, but now I know.
Reply Quote
Have received my first two advertisements on my cellphone in the entire 2 years I've had it only since attaching it to my battle.net account.

Thank you OP, I really just wanted to think it was a coincidence, but now I know.

Same here.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
06/19/2012 04:07 AMPosted by Ilax
Oh, so every time I get a spam email, or junk mail, or any random event that happens in my life, I should blame Blizzard? Not going along with paranoid nonsense is hardly brown nosing.

Is too hard for Blizzard to come here and say they not doing that kind of activity?

Or is too hard for blizzard to tell me in the ToS (that i did not read) i agreed to this?

It probably is too hard for them to tell you things you don't read.
Reply Quote
I guess I'll be checking their ToS with a fine-toothed comb now. I have never received spam from anything over my cell carrier but if it starts there is this nice little tool called a subpoena that can really get to the crux of a problem.
Reply Quote
65 Troll Mage
I gave Blizzard my number.
I've never received a spam text or call like you are describing.
Reply Quote
Spam Texts are actually fairly common and happen in waves. Most of the time, generic messages such as Walmart Gift Cards are actually scams people put together to get you to consent to premium "features" on your phone. (You know those $9.99 a month ringtone plans? Same kind of thing, only worse.)

I've gotten these before myself, but prior to Diablo III's release. I swear I hadn't "given" my number out to anyone that would justify that kind of text, but it does happen and it's just like getting spam in your e-mail with the exception of the potential to incur a fee if you don't have unlimited texts anyway- to which you really ought to also complain to your provider (about the spam, not you having a limited number of texts.)

Blizzard didn't sell your numbers. Paypal didn't sell your numbers either. At worst it was merely put in a public place by you as part of doing business with people over time, or was just flat out "dialed" randomly.

Calm down, guys. If you're in the US, you are more than welcome to file FTC complaints. Hell, they'd be better equipped to handle it than any of us individually here.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/spam-unwanted-text-messages-and-email
Edited by Freyar#1765 on 6/19/2012 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Uh, do you have any proof, or even a good idea, that links Blizzard to this in anyway? Paypal has had my number forever. Blizzard does now too. Haven't received any txts at all.

THERE WAS A COPY OF THE WATCH TOWER ON MY PORCH, I NEVER GOT THIS UNTIL I BOUGHT DIABLO 3. !@#$ING BLIZZARD!11

This made me LOL irl, being as I got my first visit after 3 years in the same apartment as I sat here playing D3. It's a conspiracy! Blizzard is on the fix with the Jehovah's Witnesses! Call the press! Find a lawyer! Let's sue!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
You guys realize that:
a) Whole ranges of numbers are given to cell phone providers. I could probably dial any number with the same area code + prefix as my cell phone and get another cell phone. Possibly even the same carrier.
b) More than likely, someone had your number before you. Who knows what they did with it.
c) All the people who just got spam messages who didn't give their cell phone to Blizz aren't going to be on these forums.
Reply Quote
Actiblizz only has 1 goal folks..making money at any cost.
Reply Quote
I just got a SMS spam saying i won a prize from wallmart...

Really Blizzard, you give my mobile number to spam company?

That make 12yr i am with same mobile company, and i never ever got 1 SPAM, now i give you my number for your "authenticator RMAH" and i receive spam?

So let me see, 1$ per listing + 15% AH fee is not enough, you also need sell the mobile number to spam company.

Disgusted...

I got the exact same spam from Wal-mart and then 1 more sms spam and a phone call from a fraudulent call machine within 24 hours of giving them my cell number. I am on a prepaid cell plan and for 2 years I have never received any kind of spam sms or call and i never give this number to anyone, it is private and unlisted. My phone company speculated that Blizzard is responsible. Furthermore I cannot reach Blizzard by telephone after trying 87 times due to full phone queue. I am outraged. My privacy is violated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]