Diablo® III

I am Legion LOL

(Locked)

Really?

D3 writers steal lines from a masterpiece like the first Ghost Rider Movie? Interested to see what everyone else thinks about the script.

Also, did the people who wrote this story get paid? Ive heard better stories from the 12 years olds on these forums.
Yeah... an apparently, 7 = legion. "I AM A BUNCH" or "I AM SEVERAL" would be more correct.

D3 writers steal lines from a masterpiece like the first Ghost Rider Movie? Interested to see what everyone else thinks about the script.

Also, did the people who wrote this story get paid? Ive heard better stories from the 12 years olds on these forums.

First sentence made me lol hard
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 6/18/2012 11:56 AM PDT
Yes. That movie was the first time in the history of fiction that line has ever been uttered.

You're really smart.
Yes. That movie was the first time in the history of fiction that line has ever been uttered.

You're really smart.

So you agree that it's a terrible line that has no place in the game?

Excellent.
06/18/2012 09:56 AMPosted by OlDirty
a masterpiece like the first Ghost Rider Movie

Really?

Ghost Rider a masterpiece? Are you really that stupid?
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/18/2012 09:56 AMPosted by OlDirty
D3 writers steal lines from a masterpiece like the first Ghost Rider Movie?

And He asked him , "What is thy name?" And he answered, saying, "My name is Legion: for we are many.
-Mark 5:9

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."
-"My name is Legion, for we are many". Latin translation from the bible.

This phrase is commonly used to refer to a being that has multiple minds, souls or entities within them. This is because the phrase is well known in a biblical sense, the man named Legion had hundreds of demons within him, in which Jesus Christ expelled into a heard of pigs, which then threw themselves to their deaths in madness.

Notable examples of the use of "Legion" in popular culture:

-the Geth unit "Legion" earns this name and EDI even uses this passage to describe him
-Ghostrider, Blackheart proclaims that he is Legion after consuming many, many souls
-Macfarlen's Spawn does the same as Blackheart above
-"Legion" from X-men is a mutant who posesses a mind for every power he uses, making his body a vehicle for more than a dozen 'people', who shift and twist control and powers.
06/18/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Magister

Really?

Are you for real? Can you HONESTLY not detect sarcasm?

Let me spell it out for you. The topic creator is mocking how unbelievably poor the choice of "I am legion" is as a line of dialogue. He has demonstrated this by sarcastically pointing out that Ghost Rider, a film plagued with disastrous writing, used the same line, to poor reception.
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/18/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Aepoch
The topic creator is mocking how unbelievably poor the choice of "I am legion" is as a line of dialogue

Actually, if Diablo only said one thing in combat, rather than monologuing, I'd have chosen "You cannot stop me, I am Legion" as his intro to combat. It was rather fitting and heralded back to Diablo's biblical roots.
06/18/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Magister

Really?

Let me spell it out for you. The topic creator is mocking how unbelievably poor the choice of "I am legion" is as a line of dialogue. He has demonstrated this by sarcastically pointing out that Ghost Rider, a film plagued with disastrous writing, used the same line, to poor reception.
06/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Melyria
D3 writers steal lines from a masterpiece like the first Ghost Rider Movie?

And He asked him , "What is thy name?" And he answered, saying, "My name is Legion: for we are many.
-Mark 5:9

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."
-"My name is Legion, for we are many". Latin translation from the bible.

This phrase is commonly used to refer to a being that has multiple minds, souls or entities within them. This is because the phrase is well known in a biblical sense, the man named Legion had hundreds of demons within him, in which Jesus Christ expelled into a heard of pigs, which then threw themselves to their deaths in madness.

Notable examples of the use of "Legion" in popular culture:

-the Geth unit "Legion" earns this name and EDI even uses this passage to describe him
-Ghostrider, Blackheart proclaims that he is Legion after consuming many, many souls
-Macfarlen's Spawn does the same as Blackheart above
-"Legion" from X-men is a mutant who posesses a mind for every power he uses, making his body a vehicle for more than a dozen 'people', who shift and twist control and powers.
Did someone correct the OP to the fact that the first reference shows up in the Bible?

Apparently so.
Edited by tanstaafl28#1939 on 6/18/2012 6:08 PM PDT
'I am Legion' is too cliched in my opinion.

In Diablo 2, he said "Not even death can save you from me!"

That's...terrifying.

The writing for this game was meant to please all audiences except the hardcore, and was way too cliched and easy to understand.
I'll admit, it's not the scariest line, but the thought of multiple minds, souls, whatever floating around in a single body creeps me out. But hey, I'm a man with a single mind, so I wouldn't know.
06/18/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Aepoch

Really?

It really wasn't that clear. Thanks for thee explanation though.

There is no way to tell from a single sentence and an anonymous forum user that has no identity apart from the other anonymous forum users whether he is being serious or not.
In Diablo 2, he said "Not even death can save you from me!"

That's...terrifying.

Well, maybe back in 2000. But to my 2012 ears, even that line sounds a bit "cliche". I think this sort of thing has less to do with the line itself and more to do with the delivery. If "You cannot stop me, I am Legion" had been his only line, I think it could have had a similar effect. (But with those sexy hips of his, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face no matter what he said...)
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/19/2012 07:12 AMPosted by Max
Let's not forget the bouncy 717s :P

Actually, if you watch the movie, I believe that Diablo's chest is more of a carapace. And the only reason they move is because the shell is loosely fixed to the body.

Basically, they're not bouncing because they're bouncy, they're bouncing because they bone plate on Diablo's chest is so loosely connected to his body. Look between them and you'll see a giant crack that glows, connected by sinew.

Looks like if you were to shove your hands in there you could rip Diablo's chest right open.
@ Melyria

I'm going to say this only once, but so far you're the best critic D3's writing team could ever hope for. Whether you're criticizing or defending the story, your posts are a pleasure to read and for the most part manage to be just and insightful. Keep it up! :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]