Diablo® III

For Science Nerds Like Myself...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/big-bang-theory-a-bust-scientist-claims-theres-something-out-there/story-fn5fsgyc-1226393063285

Sometimes I read articles that throw new theories out, and I'm say "nahhh".
Today I read this, and... somehow... I'm completely on-board and agree with this theory. Even though, we still can't really state where everything started, I think this is right and I feel we're getting that much closer to figuring it out.
Reply Quote
That doesn't sound like it invalidates the Big Bang Theory at all; just modifies or adds onto it a bit. A lot of physicists have theorized about the universe experiencing some sort of Big Bang/Big Crunch cycle, and this just seems to be an overall less violent version of that idea.
Reply Quote
http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.3706

The actual paper, for people who're interested, and would rather not read a news article based on an article in the Daily Mail based on a blog post.
Reply Quote
62 Undead Death Knight
Using basic math we can assume there are infinitely many universes... don't see what this has to do with anything significant.

And if that's not relevant to the article or this post; the Big Bang Theory is an extremely controversial topic. It isn't unlikely for it to never have happened, but it's hard to conjure another theory with as much credibility (however low it may be).
Reply Quote
The big bang theory is basically just a model based on alot of theoretical mathematics and ideas and backed up with some evidence like those cosmic radio images, red shift and expansion/inflation model.

though that evidence could fit a variety of models and theres plenty of amazing young physist/ astronomers who are exploring other brilliant models of universe origin.

Personally though, based on what ive read on the matter of universe origin im more inclined to believe in a cyclic model of perpectual universe death and rebirth (although the process of which is still much up to discussion).
Reply Quote
"..using basic math we can assume there are infinitely many univereses..."

I'll have what this commenter is smoking, please.
Reply Quote
I happen to believe that the large and small objects are both alike in how they react and appear. The only differnces are that you can see more of the interactions on the smaller particles then on the larger however if you take this in to account the smaller particles can give us input on where to locate the forces acting on the larger ones and the larger ones can give us clues to the inner most workings of the smaller ones much like looking at the same specimen thru a large zoom and a small glass.

if you look at the universe you can see patterns repete both in the largest scales and smallest scaled objects. i dont think this to be a coincedence
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
06/18/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Wikiwiki
Using basic math we can assume there are infinitely many universes...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\
Reply Quote
hes smoking a thing called knowledge, and its available for everyone free, if you have the mental capacity to learn the information
Reply Quote
06/18/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Wikiwiki

Basic math? Basic is simple algebra.... theoretical physicists speaking about multiverses are not using basic math. Mathematical proof of multiple universes uses some of the most strenuous vector calculus ever. Even understanding the uncertainty principle is difficult... to quote Feynman, "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."
If you think this math is simple, you need to be on the forefront of research!!!!!
Reply Quote
07/01/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Cailleach

Basic math? Basic is simple algebra.... theoretical physicists speaking about multiverses are not using basic math. Mathematical proof of multiple universes uses some of the most strenuous vector calculus ever. Even understanding the uncertainty principle is difficult... to quote Feynman, "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."
If you think this math is simple, you need to be on the forefront of research!!!!!

Vector calculus is pretty basic as far as math goes o_O.

In any case, the thing about quantum theory is that it's extremely difficult to grasp on an intuitive or conceptual level. Mathematically, it's very well understood, as you can grasp most of it with just linear algebra.
Reply Quote
"..using basic math we can assume there are infinitely many univereses..."

I'll have what this commenter is smoking, please.

This
Reply Quote
I am not a physicist, although I have taken several college level physics courses. So, I may be way off base or behind the times with what I am about to say. On several occasions, when reading about the Big Bang theory, I have encountered claims that in the tiny fractions of a second before the Big Bang, that the laws of physics were different from what they are now. That sounds very interesting and certainly appeals to the sci-fi lover in me, but I have a major problem with it. My problem is that it is taking a conclusion (that the Big Bang Theory is valid) and working backward towards a justification for that conclusion. If you have to change the laws of physics to make your theory work, maybe you are right to do so, or maybe your theory is a load of crap.

Is it conceivable that the laws of physics might change over time or be one way in one part of the universe but different in some other part? I'd say it's conceivable, but shouldn't be the foundation of a major theory. I read somewhere that there were some anomalies with the Voyager probe that is farthest away from us at the moment. Of the explanations given for this, one intriguing one was the possibility that the speed of light changed slightly outside our solar system (perhaps influenced by the sun's gravity?).

If I am wrong about the whole "laws of physics were different back then" claim of the Big Bang Theory, then someone please correct me.

There are numerous other scientific theories about the origins of the universe. I'm not saying any of them are right, but they are out there.
Reply Quote
Carl Sagan nuff said.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]