Diablo® III

Is Blizz Selling The Top Tier Items (RMAH)?

(Locked)

Since there is no way of knowing the identity of those selling the items, it would seem fairly easy to do since they have the ability to create any item in game.

Conspiracy Theory:
Blizzard nerfs some of the top gold farming spots in-game which henders people from farming gold to use on the GAH, thus driving the player to use the RMAH where it can garner its transaction fee's.
Additionally, gold is not available to purchase on the RMAH which if it was would allow players to have a single transaction fee to purchase a large sum of gold to use on the GAH for multiple transactions. (If Blizzard allows this, they lose out on multiple transaction fee's).

Would I mind if the developer created items to sell on the RMAH? No, but as in other games that are F2P, the store (in Blizzard's case, the RMAH) listed developer made items.

It might be a reach, but maybe the FTC or some state's AG needs to make an inquiry to the legitmacy of the RMAH and who is behind each auction.
Counter-point:

1. Blizzard has grossed at least $378,000,000 from D3 sales alone (based on the 6.3 million copies figure, not taking into account CE copies)

2. As of May this year, WoW subscriptions held steady at 10.2 million. That's $152,898,000 every month, and $1,834,776,000 annually.

Now, let's be extremely generous and assume a whopping 2% of current D3 players are willing to deck out a character in a full set of $250 items. That's $3,250 worth of in-game items, so I really don't think 2% is an underestimation. That would be a not-insignificant $409,500,000 in sales.

Not bad, right?

Sure, but it's a one-time sale. It's a one-time infusion of cash that, if discovered, would forever tarnish the Blizzard name. WoW subscriptions? Gone. Diablo 4? Don't make me laugh.

They would be dead in the water, and for what? Less than 1/3 of their annual earnings from WoW alone.

They might be greedy, but they're not stupid.
Edited by iPwn#1698 on 6/18/2012 7:19 AM PDT
nah they're not selling.

look at parameters 150 int 100 vit 50AR shoulders. theres so few of them.
Or listen to damaged, he makes some pretty good points too.
Edited by iPwn#1698 on 6/18/2012 7:21 AM PDT
Counter-point:

1. Blizzard has grossed at least $378,000,000 from D3 sales alone (based on the 6.3 million copies figure, not taking into account CE copies)

2. As of May this year, WoW subscriptions held steady at 10.2 million. That's $152,898,000 every month, and $1,834,776,000 annually.

Now, let's be extremely generous and assume a whopping 2% of current D3 players are willing to deck out a character in a full set of $250 items. That's $3,250 worth of in-game items, so I really don't think 2% is an underestimation. That would be a not-insignificant $409,500,000 in sales.

Not bad, right?

Sure, but it's a one-time sale. It's a one-time infusion of cash that, if discovered, would forever tarnish the Blizzard name. WoW subscriptions? Gone. Diablo 4? Don't make me laugh.

They would be dead in the water, and for what? Less than 1/3 of their annual earnings from WoW alone.

They might be greedy, but they're not stupid.

/thread
Blizzard as a company is not selling items on the RMAH. Not only is that unethical to the farthest degree, but why sell items when they get paid on the transactions front? They do nothing and get paid.

I don't doubt however that Blizzard EMPLOYEES who play the game like everyone else are selling items though.
100 Goblin Mage
they own all items
If I was a developer knowing that RMAH was going to be in game you can bet your peppered potatoes I would put something in there so I could make items at will and post them for real cash.
Since there is no way of knowing the identity of those selling the items, it would seem fairly easy to do since they have the ability to create any item in game.

They could list the seller's battle tag and you still wouldn't know. Hell, they could list real names and you still wouldn't know. "Let's see, seller on that item is Robert Johnson, that couldn't possibly be made up by Blizzard."

Blizzard can't win, whatever they do, someone will claim they are selling items on the RMAH, when they have said they aren't.
100 Goblin Mage
06/18/2012 07:24 AMPosted by damaged
Because it is widely known that companies are the epitome of ethical.

using the same logic we can argue that unions are the epitome of ethical, since like companies the point is to make more money.
06/18/2012 07:18 AMPosted by iPwn

Imagine all the items u could buy from RMAH with that O.O
Blizzard as a company is not selling items on the RMAH. Not only is that unethical to the farthest degree, but why sell items when they get paid on the transactions front? They do nothing and get paid.

I don't doubt however that Blizzard EMPLOYEES who play the game like everyone else are selling items though.

Because it is widely known that companies are the epitome of ethical.

ethical? maybe. Stupid? no. it would be like dropping a child down a well with a flimsy rope attached, just so he can grab you a $20 bill. you might get a little extra cash, but not at all worth the consequences if anyone finds out.
In my entire time farming since the game has come out... minimum 4 hours a day... I have yet found a piece of gear that I actually used. Not one. Everything I used came from the AH.
06/18/2012 07:23 AMPosted by speedforce
but why sell items when they get paid on the transactions front? They do nothing and get paid

250$ vs 1$

Once the code is in, how hard is it to pour the RMAH with generated items?

Edit : The only reason why they allow the public to sell on the RMAH is so the public don't see that Blizzard is selling you the gear you need to progress instead of providing it for free (farming).
Edited by Gustomucho#1835 on 6/18/2012 7:30 AM PDT
They're not selling items. I'm not saying that because it wouldn't be ethical for them to sell items, I'm saying that because when it came out (as it would) the financial blow to Blizzard would be potentially far worse than any profit they could make.

I'm sure we'll see something along the line of pets being sold eventually, but armour/weapons/commodities? Just about never.

their is ZERO possible way for it to ever be found out where a item is generated, nor who is selling said items,

that data is simply not available to the public, as such, their is zero risk of exposure...

they would be stupid NOT to sell the odd generated items for pure profit, but that said, they still receive 1 buck FOR EVERY rmah sale, anywhere, which means diablo 3 is producing significant amounts of cash not just daily, but pretty much every minute...

As a publicly traded company, their finances are publicly available every quarter. They would have to explain that money somehow, which would involve either admitting they gamed the RMAH, in which case they'd lose all their customers, or doctoring their financial records, in which case they'd get in a hell of a lot more trouble than you can imagine.

Once again, the potential consequences simply outweigh the benefits.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]