Diablo® III

Ball Lightning vs Nether Tentacles

I know NT has the life leech going for it, but I noticed when I hit 59 that I lost a big amount of range on this.
Namely my Iskatu runs were a lot more risky, as I was getting swarmed because NT didnt have as much range.
I put ball lightning back on and it was clear sailing.
Also since low stats and glass cannon, I dont often get hit for a little and have time to leech so Ball lightning may be the better bet.
Reply Quote
The life leech has little to do with why nether tentacles is widely preferred, it hits things multiple times as it arcs along, and is devastating against bosses as well for that same reason. Less range yes, but more powerful.
Reply Quote
Ball lightning hits most targets 2 times as well.
Maybe because that slow it can hit 3 on the bosses, but still, seems like a drawback.
Reply Quote
I believe the biggest reason is that NT hits for the full 155% damage with every attack, while BL only hits for 1/2 the listed damage. At least, that's my understanding. I certainly notice that NT hits like a truck in comparison, and is FAR more effective on bosses etc. The DPS is much better, even if the AOE/range are smaller.
Reply Quote
That is right, Ball lightning for some reason deals reduced damage. However, it is much easier for mobs to dodge nether tentacles and even avoid the second hit (i have even seen mobs move through nether tentacles without getting hit at all). This isnt true for ball lighting. In fact, the opposite seems to be true where even small mobs find it almost impossible to dodge 2. Some mobs are too small to get hit by both.
Edited by Brathearon#1214 on 6/17/2012 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
NT and BL are both same speed same rate of hitting multiple times.

NT dmg is 155% without being mitgated by the mobs resistances.

Ball Lighting is resisted by mobs so it doesnt do full dmg however its range is greater meaning it might hit the mob 1 more time and also hit a wider range of mobs.

Its your call if you want to hit 4-5 mobs in a group for 70k 1-2 times
Or if you want to hit 5-8 mobs in a group for 35k 1-3 times

I like NT cause if your kiteing the mobs all line up in a row chaseing you. And NT just eats them up if you line the shot correctly.

Ball lighting is great for clearing rooms from around corners because of its AOE radius.

I went BL for EVERYTHING up untill inferno when the mobs really start to resist it.
Reply Quote
The correct explanation for BL is that it can only hit a maximum of twice per ball dealing a total of 155% dmg (77.5% each time it strikes)

While NT hits 155% throughout and is not limited to how many times it can hit an enemy ( 1-2 times for normal mobs. 3-4 times for larger mobs) [over 600% per NT on bosses like belial combined with SS the first few NT dishes devastating damage]

Personally i love both skills. But when running inferno NT > BL .

I switch back to BL when im doing normal/nighmare/hell

BL just doesnt do enough dmg to kill mobs fast enough in inferno. For glass cannons like myself, thats all that matters
Edited by MrPaleehin#1952 on 6/17/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
NT with a cold bow is like having an AOE slow. My only complain with NT (which BL shares) is that it's slow and makes it hard to chase elites that runs away from you..

p/s empirically, i can say that NT deals a lot more damage than BL... of course in nightmare and hell when you can 1 shot everything, it doesn't matter if it's 75% or 155% damage... but in inferno, every % to your DPS counts....
Reply Quote
06/17/2012 07:47 AMPosted by MrPaleehin
The correct explanation for BL is that it can only hit a maximum of twice per ball dealing a total of 155% dmg (77.5% each time it strikes)

Actually, Ball lightning hits targets more than twice, much more often than not. It does not have a maximum and i can confirm this by my personal testing.

NT and BL are both same speed same rate of hitting multiple times.

NT dmg is 155% without being mitgated by the mobs resistances.

Ball Lighting is resisted by mobs so it doesnt do full dmg however its range is greater meaning it might hit the mob 1 more time and also hit a wider range of mobs.

The only mobs that have extra resists on them are lightning, molten, frozen, plagued, and arcane enchanted (which they resist should be obvious). If you use the skill Elemental Arrow unruned, it deals 155% fire damage as expected, however ball lightning only deals half of that and even less against lightning champion packs.
Reply Quote
It's a fairly simple choice:

Do you want to quickly destroy mobs with NT? Or would you rather slowly wittle them down with BL?
Reply Quote

While NT hits 155% throughout and is not limited to how many times it can hit an enemy ( 1-2 times for normal mobs. 3-4 times for larger mobs) [over 600% per NT on bosses like belial combined with SS the first few NT dishes devastating damage]

Personally i love both skills. But when running inferno NT > BL .

I switch back to BL when im doing normal/nighmare/hell

BL just doesnt do enough dmg to kill mobs fast enough in inferno. For glass cannons like myself, thats all that matters

Let me clarify,u r wrong again.let me end this discussion and let u all go home.ball lighting hits for %155 of each hit.if mp lvl is higher mobs will have more lightening resistance.that is why nt may be better when playing mp8 or above my friend.
Reply Quote
BL helps to pull mobs in Fields of Misery thanks to its huge AOE. It has low dps but it pulls well, but also with Gloom, one shot of BL, and the life pool is full instantly. With Nigh stalker, the disc is refilled quick as well. I feel like only Rapid Fire is the way to dps, other skills are more utility.
Reply Quote
I know this was a troll necro, but I'll bite anyway.

This thread was created when the game first came out over a year and 3 months ago. NT mechanics have been changed since then.
Reply Quote
I know this was a troll necro, but I'll bite anyway.

This thread was created when the game first came out over a year and 3 months ago. NT mechanics have been changed since then.

Lol. Sup Baked. I think I have you on my friend list
Reply Quote
Hopefully they change NT mechanic back to what it was in the Loot 2.0 patch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]