Diablo® III

Mid 2012 15" MBP (non retina) performance

I just bought a new MacBook Pro, the specs are:
2.6 GHz quad core i7 ivy bridge processor
8gb ram
Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics
1gb dedicated Nvidia GeForce 650M graphics

It performs incredibly well. Full settings I was averaging between 50-55 FPS. With default settings, which is everything full except shadow quality at medium, I was getting between 60-70 FPS.

I'm very happy with this. Everything is running smoothly and I couldn't have been happier. Hopefully this helps you in deciding if you wanted to get one and how well D3 performs on it.
Reply Quote
Just curious - why this model as opposed to the retina? The pricing does not seem all that substantially different considering the smaller, lighter build, the SSD and the display.
Reply Quote
I was looking at them myself, and while the insane resolution capabilities of the Retina display make me drool, everything else just seems kinda...meh. But I do love me my Macbook Pros (on my 2nd one atm). What resolution are you playing at?
Edited by JasonPlitt#1316 on 6/16/2012 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Some good news finally!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
06/16/2012 04:45 AMPosted by mimefrog
Just curious - why this model as opposed to the retina? The pricing does not seem all that substantially different considering the smaller, lighter build, the SSD and the display.

You trade a LOT for that retina display. a few ports, which you may can live without. but larger is the ability to expand later. 3rd party disk drive solutions, newer better SSDs down the road, more memory. Plus you can't have a cd drive in retina but regular MBP has one still. Some can live without one, but me personally, i still use laptop a lot for playing dvds. Plus it's not always rational to download a massive game/application when you can just get it on a disc and save signifcant time.

The retina does not use a standard 2.5 inch drive, it uses propriatary flash chips that at most, owc will support after market, but at a much higher premium then traditional ssds (and no alternative options). The retina is essencially using the macbook air model but with a little bit more size and beafed specs. it is still however as far as i'm concerned, a glamorized macbook air and not a true pro machine with expansion, and more features. So i guess in the end it depends on whether or not the features you sacrifice for retina are worth it. the other hardware is pretty much parallel when comparing similar price points. (up the vid card to 1gig vram, swap an SSD in after market (not expensive apple BTO) and right there is that 400 dollar lower price diff squashed, now for same price you have a standard MBP with an SSD and same amount of vram as retina.
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 04:45 AMPosted by mimefrog

I needed the superdrive, and the ethernet port. Yeah SSD makes everything incredibly fast but I also need a big internal drive. It was also a massive upgrade from my early 2009 white macbook. And to be honest the retina display doesn't really make me drool over its incredible resolution.

JasonPlitt
Edited by JasonPlitt#1316 on 6/16/12 5:07 AM (PDT)
I was looking at them myself, and while the insane resolution capabilities of the Retina display make me drool, everything else just seems kinda...meh. But I do love me my Macbook Pros (on my 2nd one atm). What resolution are you playing at?

I'm playing on 1440x900, full resolution.

06/16/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Turtle
Thanks a lot for posting! I will be picking up the same computer with the same specs (except I got the 2.3Ghz instead of 2.6Ghz) on friday! Hopefully the 2.3Ghz will run with maxed settings at around 30-40. Hopefully!

I think you'll get more than 30-40 FPS, I'm thinking you'll get 40-50FPS. Heres hoping you do
Edited by knifeyspoony#1315 on 6/16/2012 9:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Glad to hear the 650M runs the game so well!
Reply Quote
I guess this question is geared at the OP. You said you have the 1440x900 display, right? The only reason I am asking is because I am looking at the same exact model (processor, RAM) and I am upgrading to the 750GB 7200rpm HDD. My only question is in regards to how you think the game would run if I choose to go with the hi-res display (1680x1050). Given the OP's experience with his setup, how do you guys think the game will run at 1680x1050? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
ShavesAlot, I bought the non retina MBP 15in on Thursday, and i have to say it has been everything I have expected it to be. Because I did have a 17in MBP before, I opted to get the 1680x1050 resolution on it, and am happy to say that I get 50-60 fps on it. I actually turned the fps down to 35, as in my old age i can really see no discernible difference in how the game plays. Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
Same results here on the same machine as the OP. For the lower $ and upgrade-ability trade off the Non-retina is the way to go, and its actually a bit faster than the retina. Can't remember the link, Macnn or Engadget I think. Coming from a 2008 MBP, it is a world of difference and the Game looks and plays great now.
Reply Quote
Tested with 1920x1080? :)
Reply Quote
When I had my 2011 17in MBP I played the game in 1920x1080...30fps, game played fine.
Reply Quote
Dysun, that's great to hear. :) Just curious, were you running D3 at the native resolution (1680x1050)? I too am coming from an early 2009 17" MBP and would like the extra real estate offered by the hi-res display. Also, what settings are you running the game on? Thanks again for the help.
Reply Quote
Shaves...I play the game on high settings, with the only exception being shadow quality on medium. For some reason I enjoy the game in letterbox mode in 1680x1050 resolution. I do keep the fps maxed at 40, but i was easily getting 55-60 fps at max settings. It was hard to let go of that 17inch...takes time to get used to a smaller screen, but the HD resolution does make it more bearable : )
Reply Quote
Dysun, again, great news. Thank you so much for your help and insight. New MBP here I come!!! :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I guess you have WoW, does it runs well too? how bout SC2? i need to know because im between this macbook or an alienware m14x
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]