Diablo® III

Warning: max bids are not confidential

Have you ever wondered why you pay the max bid on items you purchase? It's because the AH gives away this information freely.

Every bid goes up 5%. When the bid doesn't go up 5% you've reached the max bid. For example, people like me who put up a round number max bid make it blatantly obvious. Let's say I put a 100,000 max bid on a 72,592 item. All the seller has to do is shill up to my round number and stop. Here's what the bids look like: 72,592 >> 76,222 >> 80033 >> 84035 >> 88236 >> 92648 >> 97280 >> 100,000 (instead of 102144; Max bid reached!)

Here's a simple solution: Make ALL the displayed bids 5% higher. Or is this working as intended? I've been burned so many times by this already. Don't place max bids!
Reply Quote
Bah, dang. That explains how I magically got forced to pay my EXACT max bid that should have been a couple mill high, that I set just in case.
Reply Quote
wow.... nice to know
Reply Quote
This is good to know. So I guess I should only bid 1.05^x times the current value until this is fixed.
Reply Quote
lol wow
Reply Quote
Imma use this to make some people pay their own 15% fee. lol.

bidding 1.05^x gogo!
Edited by Concillian#1935 on 6/29/2012 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well that's good to know. So basically someone could artificially drive up an auction price and make a high max-bidder pay their max bid...
Reply Quote
I think the easiest fix to this is that the "outbid" (the auto-bid by the person that set the max bid) is always just one gold higher than whatever someone else bid.

So anyone bidding on an item always has to bid 5% more than the current value, but the resulting new bid by the previous highest bidder (and still highest bidder due to their max bid) doesn't give away any information because it only kicks up by the 1 gold needed to beat the new bid.
Reply Quote
I think the easiest fix to this is that the "outbid" (the auto-bid by the person that set the max bid) is always just one gold higher than whatever someone else bid.

So anyone bidding on an item always has to bid 5% more than the current value, but the resulting new bid by the previous highest bidder (and still highest bidder due to their max bid) doesn't give away any information because it only kicks up by the 1 gold needed to beat the new bid.

Agree with this, or atleast make it so instead of showing current bid, you'll see what next bid would be. ie. current bid *1.05.
That way there is no way to tell what the max bid is since even if you keep on bidding you'll always see a value 5% higher than before.
Reply Quote
07/01/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Holycow
That way there is no way to tell what the max bid is since even if you keep on bidding you'll always see a value 5% higher than before.

That's the best way to do it, since you would gain no information by bidding.
Reply Quote
Hmmm...I don't think this strategy would be very wise for the auctioner to pursue, as the auctioner can't know whether the displayed bid is the bidder's max or not (and it often is - people just bidding the minimum amount). If the displayed bid is indeed the bidder's max, the auctioner would end up beating the bid, and potentially re-buying their own item - at a 15% loss.

To illustrate: suppose the auctioner sees the current bid is 72,592. If the current max bid is 100k, the above strategy will indeed work. However, if the current max bid is in fact 72,592 (perhaps someone made a minimum incremental bid), the above strategy will make the auctioner the winner, and risks (if no one beats the bid) re-buying at a loss.

For that reason, and the fact that such bid-maxing would be relatively time-consuming (note auctions take 36 hrs to complete), I think this practice is not widespread. Ending up paying exactly what you bid isn't evidence of this practice, btw - all it takes for that is someone else to enter a max bid of less than 5% under yours (which is possible when the current displayed bid is less than the actual current max bid.
Reply Quote
I'm sure it's not a widespread problem, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the big time farmers selling multiple items for 10 Mill plus don't take the time to do it.

I don't think it would be very time consuming either. I don't think they'd drive every bid to the max - let other bidders do that. I think they'd just do it right at the end before the auction ends.

As far as the "how to get it started" issue... I was wondering about that myself. The first bid would be the one and only risky one. Perhaps by watching the high bid? If it moves by (1.05 * 1.05) then that's because someone tried to bid and auto-bidding kicked it up higher, so then it's safe to keep kicking it until it goes up by less than 5%, or perhaps you only do it when you feel the bids under-value the item so that you either want to drive up the bid, or take the 15% loss and re-list it?
Reply Quote
Can anybody else confirm that max bids aren't being exploited? http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5207532527?page=1 suggests it's still an issue.
Reply Quote
This is why I bid the absolute minimum required, then come back when the auction has a minute or two left and bid my real bid.

Plus that, and I don't get caught up in any back n forth price raises from other bidders (item sells for cheaper.)
Reply Quote
you cant bid on your own auctions...
Reply Quote
06/29/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Yeti
Bah, dang. That explains how I magically got forced to pay my EXACT max bid that should have been a couple mill high, that I set just in case.

Same here, I paid exactly my max bid even though I bid at like the last second and bid several million higher than the previous bid...

Bid was at 1.5 million for my monk chest (see profile), I bid with just a couple second left almost everything I had...
My bid was 6,555,555. Guess what I paid? 6,555,555.

So, not only is this known, there is already some type of bot that can figure it out.

I literally bid one second, two seconds later, the auction was over and I was out my max amount...precisely. Very unlikely given how the bidding system works. I should have received a refund of some portion of my bid, but didn't, so somehow they nailed it exactly, OR I randomly bid exactly 5% more than the last bid which would have had to have been 6,234,385. Of the two possible explanations, I don't see how the second is possible.
Edited by Craxster#1577 on 8/29/2012 5:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
happened to me as well. i bid 103m on a weapon, the last bid was at 30m. When the auction ended, i payed the full price.
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Craxster

Same here, I paid exactly my max bid even though I bid at like the last second and bid several million higher than the previous bid...

Bid was at 1.5 million for my monk chest (see profile), I bid with just a couple second left almost everything I had...
My bid was 6,555,555. Guess what I paid? 6,555,555.

So, not only is this known, there is already some type of bot that can figure it out.

I literally bid one second, two seconds later, the auction was over and I was out my max amount...precisely. Very unlikely given how the bidding system works. I should have received a refund of some portion of my bid, but didn't, so somehow they nailed it exactly, OR I randomly bid exactly 5% more than the last bid which would have had to have been 6,234,385. Of the two possible explanations, I don't see how the second is possible.

Same thing happened to me yesterday, 10 secs left on auction throw up my max bid 6 million higher than current bid and it sold to me for my exact amount. Im fine with it thats what i was willing to pay but it left me scratching my head how that happened.
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Gewalt
you cant bid on your own auctions...
for obvious reasons

so, am i missing something?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]