Diablo® III

DH's 100k+ DPS Explained

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes you do more DPS but it does reduce the efficacy of Sharpshooter nonetheless. Sharpshooter takes time to tick up. With a 1H Xbow and the correct gear I was at 4.88 Attacks per second...

I attack almost 5 times in the 1 second it takes for sharpshooter to tick up another 3% crit.
However, if I crit in the middle of that, Sharpshooter resets.

1H Xbow gives you a 10% chance to crit (with Archery skill) So at 4.88 attacks per second I am almost gaurenteed a crit (10% is 1 shot out of every 10... in 2 seconds I shoot 9.76 times)

So.. Sharpshooter never gets to give me much of a bonus on my crit chace.

What he said about IAS reducing the effectiveness of sharpshooter is correct sir.

I don't think you know how Sharpshooter works.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/sharpshooter

The effect of Sharpshooter's crit hit chance stacks don't fall off after your hit, they fall off 1 second after the crit takes place.

Meaning if you're attacking 4 times a second, you still have a chance for those other 3 attacks within that 1 second to take advantage of the sharpshooter stacks.

So IAS is not reducing the effect at all - you're getting the same effect if not more of an effect, because you can get more attempts to crit with the stacks within that 1 second period.

They designed DH with attack speed in mind - and Sharpshooter as well.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 06:34 AMPosted by Petrosian
Lol at the OP thinking it's not possible to break 100k w/o SS.

I realize it is POSSIBLE to break 100k without SS, but it's VERY uncommon.

In reality, there are thousands and thousands of people who play a DH and have 100k dps (with sharpshooter on)

Yet I would challenge that less than 1/10th of 1% (or .01%) of ALL Demon Hunters in the game BEFORE the IAS nerf, were at 100k withOUT sharpshooter or steady aim on.

This is very true if you skimp on all vit and go for Wep dmg% >> Hatred regen >> (high weapon dmg) >> IAS >> Crit Hit >> Crit DMG to the max you can get it.. (yes i know dex isn't in there but as a rule of thumb its our primary stat if your not already maxing the crap out of this play something else) then you can hit 100k dps.. problem is having the stopping power to kite mobs with a couple million hp for more then 2 seconds.... even at one million some of these mobs r just impossible to stop...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Actually its all the shots fired after ur first hit for 1 second. And since tentacle has a slow travel time, with decent atk speed u get about 10 shots off

^ This guy knows what I'm talking about in my post above.
Reply Quote
The real reason DH dps is so high is because nether tentacles hits multiple times.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/19/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Blackstream
The real reason DH dps is so high is because nether tentacles hits multiple times.

... because of IAS. So the real reason DH dps is so high is because of IAS.
Reply Quote
Just contributing my 5c. I am a 103k DPS w/o SS DH who stacked moderate IAS, 1878 Dex, 39% Crit Chance, and 262% Crit Dmg. SS only boosts my "fake dps" to 189k. My typical 5nv run of Cydaea-Azmodan takes me 13-20min due to nether being an absolutely bulldozer.

Anywayzzzz, are there any maths nerds here like me?
I was attempting to calculate the expected dps increase of having SS over a large sample size. But I got stuck trying to mix the discrete maths of 3% per second, with a decimal attack speed, and a chance to reset the crit chance.

Anyone wanna tell me how they would approach this? =p

Edited by Kalafina#6311 on 6/19/2012 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

... because of IAS. So the real reason DH dps is so high is because of IAS.

06/19/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Blackstream

The speed of all of our projectiles is awful... Nether Tentacles + Missile Dampening = GG I win. Stack up 30 Tentacles each doing 40-80k damage each and they travel so slow initially + the slow of missile dampening that it stands there and obliterates whatever is inside the bubble...

Act 3 Impalers throw spears faster than my crossbow does... I dunno about you but the speed of a spear is nowhere near that of a bow, or crossbow...

Agreed, Tentacles needs work...
Also Agreed, IAS made many DH's do a lot more damage than we will in a few hours...

Edit, to the one who said IAS affects Nether tentacles hitting multiple times, no... they hit multiple times because it is a HUGE and REALLY SLOW projectile... Not that we get to shoot a bunch of them.

Mob moves sideways, tentacles miss entirely = fail waste of hatred.
Edited by Petrosian#1695 on 6/19/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just contributing my 5c. I am a 103k DPS w/o SS DH who stacked moderate IAS, 1878 Dex, 39% Crit Chance, and 262% Crit Dmg. SS only boosts my "fake dps" to 189k. My typical 5nv run of Cydaea-Azmodan takes me 13-20min due to nether being an absolutely bulldozer.

Anywayzzzz, are there any maths nerds here like me?
I was attempting to calculate the expected dps increase of having SS over a large sample size. But I got stuck trying to mix the discrete maths of 3% per second, with a decimal attack speed, and a chance to reset the crit chance.

Anyone wanna tell me how they would approach this? =p

You might find this interesting.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?833079-So-just-how-good-is-Sharpshooter-Long-post-lots-of-math
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Edit, to the one who said IAS affects Nether tentacles hitting multiple times, no... they hit multiple times because it is a HUGE and REALLY SLOW projectile... Not that we get to shoot a bunch of them.

I'm quite sure IAS directly effects how often the nether tentacle hits when it is 'hovering over the target', not just how fast you can pump them out.

Also - every ranged class suffers from the same mechanic. At least a DH can spam elemental arrow a lot. Try being a wizard that gets at most 4 arcane orbs and having all 4 miss because the target is moving.
Edited by Dan#11512 on 6/19/2012 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote

You might find this interesting.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?833079-So-just-how-good-is-Sharpshooter-Long-post-lots-of-math

He confirmed what I said about IAS reducing the effectiveness of Sharpshooter... :)
Reply Quote

Also - every ranged class suffers from the same mechanic. At least a DH can spam elemental arrow a lot. Try being a wizard that gets at most 4 arcane orbs and having all 4 miss because the target is moving.

Agreed. Flawed mechanic, too bad they didn't realize this in beta... lol
Reply Quote
Yes, it's a common misconception about DH being overpowered, because people are stupid and rightfully so (they spend more time complaining than gearing up their melee).

However, I would gladly receive DPS nerfs on my DH just to satisfy some ignorant person's rage if it means I can stack some kind of resist and take at least one hit. Just one. Because no matter how perfect I am, I will never be able to take certain affixes without dying at least once.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I loathe the kill or be killed kiting strategy of the DH - there is no entertainment in knowing that all you do is stack DPS because that's all you -can- do.

On my monk with spending only 2-3 mil from scratch, I can tank almost every mob in the game as long as I have a Barbarian to buff me. If I don't, I can still take 3-4 shots (more with serenity) and DPS down anything before I die.

Balanced? Hell no. Eventually, as better gear drops (thanks to QQers - it'll be so easy with the next patch), melee will ALWAYS be better than ranged classes because of that innate 30% reduction and tankability.

Just to be clear, i dont think DH should be nerfed. I dont grasp what this thread is about either, because DH are really good DPSers.
Reply Quote
Im a WD, pretty well geared 40k life 42k dmg. Im a ranged DPS class on act 2 inferno, pets are (of course) useless, in fact there are only 2 viable builds for my class, VQ bears, or splinters.

It took me about 2.5 weeks playing inferno to get to where I am, I still can only "farm" in act 1. I creep through act 2 having to avoid about 1/3 of elites.

My friend got frustrated on his barb and made a DH because melee classes are broke on inferno (yes, yes, if you have 80-100 mill worth of gear you can disagree) but I digress. He hit 60 as a DH geared for 2mill and now has 70k dmg and past me in act 2 after 4 DAYS! I have almost 200 hrs in WD including a near 60 HC WD so please don't tell me I don't know how to play my class.

Bottom line, NOTHING matters in act 2+ but DPS. If you come up against a molten/mortar/vortex/waller, every class is going to be killed in less than 5 seconds from a 60k life 1000+ resist barb to a 8k life 150 resist glass cannon. The difference is, a DH even with mediocre gear can kill that mob in 4 seconds before it even gets on the screen.

My point is, DH with 2 mill gear and 50 hour play time > WD with 20-30 mill gear > 120 hour playtime > barb 60-80 mill gear 200 hour playtime. So you are right the DH isnt OP, the game is just broken in DHs favor.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I was sitting on roughly 101k dps without SS before patch and that's with attack speed on only 2 pieces.
Reply Quote
Thread starter, can you please explain this 200k dps without sharpshooter.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2po137s.jpg
Reply Quote
Ok, seriously why is everyone in their mother !@#$%ing about one thing DPS. Show me a DH with 50k dmg unbuffed that doesn't get 2 shotted in inferno.

God people get so tunnel visioned when they see ^-*! that seems unfair to them yet it is not.

Just from watching streams I have seen a barb with over 100k dmg unbuffed! and he still had room to improve his gear. If you barbs want to be one shotted ranged you can do it too.

Oh and buffed he gets close to 400k dmg http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/3761/bigdmg395k.png
so please stop the @#$%ing ^-*!@ing about oh my barb does no dmg compared to a DH.
Edited by Ghost#11803 on 6/19/2012 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thread starter, can you please explain this 200k dps without sharpshooter.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2po137s.jpg

Well that's easy. 44% Crit chance with a 343% Crit Damage.

His weapon alone has 70+ Crit damage on it, He's also wearing IAS Bracers, boots, chest and helm.

Base speed on a 2H Xbow is 1.1 attacks per second.

He's rocking 2.77 APS = LOTS of IAS gear, and LOTS of Crit Hit %, and LOTS of Crit Damage...

He is that .01% that I was talking about. That Chestpiece right there, 3 socket Beckon Sail, lowest price you're gonna get one for, 50 million.

Even if he's only got 110 dex on his helm (which I highly doubt) 10mil

Weapon with that gem in it? Even it if it's only a 1100 DPS 2H Xbow with NO IAS or Crit Dmg (aside from crit gem) That's another 10mil easily plus the gem.

70mil spent on 3 pieces of gear? ...

I'd say he's an exception to the average.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]