Diablo® III

Are We The Worst Class?

The problem is that we are really good at crowd control. We just can't put damage on top of the crowd control. Whenever you party up, extra crowd control is great and all but when you don't output extra damage to make up for the added HP on monsters, your party gets mad because then it takes forever to kill mobs which usually means a rage timer and instant death.
Reply Quote
IMO WD is the worst class but only because it hasn't delivered what the players really want from this class.

1. Pets don't scale well enough and scale in an odd way. Monk arguably has a better pet because Monk is a melee class and it's already expected to stack survivability first and Monk gets 30% less damage.

2. Good aoe controls are not only on long cool downs, they are also mostly pbaoe and their effectiveness drop greatly against fights that TRULY matter.

3. Due to the above two reasons, high-level WDs are forced to go DH-style (glass-cannon with no pets) or are forced to stack ridiculous high armor/resistance (Barbarian-like) just so the pets have a chance to live. The goal for the next Class assessment is to find the perfect balance between Pbaoe style, pet and controls. I really don't mind going in to use pbaoe spells but I do have a problem when monsters kill me too quick even when I already try to stack more armor/resistance than an "average" caster.

And this is a SERIOUS post. :P I won't ditch this class because I enjoy being an unpopular summon/control class. It's funny how every class I play is always the least popular. I don't mind being unpopular but I do mind when the "style" I am looking for isn't good enough. I want better pets and better controls. I can give a s@#$ about my sub-par damage. I don't need the best damage to enjoy this game but I do mind that when I want to make an Addling frog build in act 2 Inferno, I can't survive s@#$. Or when I want to go for channeling spells like Cloud of Bats, I drain my mana so quick and I die because it has a freaking melee range!

And I do enjoy my WD pet build up to Inferno act 2.

Good post. People don't realize how alike the WD is to the Diablo 2 Necro at launch. Necro pets were good through normal and most of nightmare, then would get 1 hit from the simplest things in Hell. YOu spent most of your mana resummoning instead of CE. Then they introduced the synergies, and pets became more buff than even bosses (with curses, of course).
Reply Quote
I quite like my WD and I also have a DH and Wiz in inferno. The combination of spirit walk and spirit vessel allows him to generally survive much longer than the other two when things get really sticky. Vision Quest allows me to spam more dps than I can figure out how to do on DH/Wiz.

OP: What is dart/splinters for?

Using Vision Quest, a mana-regen voodoo-mask, and a slow 2H weapon -- you can endlessly spam whatever spell you want, so why would you use a cheap bad spell like splinters?

The Vision-Quest-WD is a nuclear reactor... keep it running and it can spam dps hard, let it falter and it peters out. Spirit Walk is uber, being both teleport/vault and smoke-screen/diamond-skin in a single spell.

--

My damage spells are acid-cloud and haunt, both of which spam pretty hard. When I have a haunt or two (with mana regen) up I can literally chain-spam acid-rain forever (except for casts to keep all my spells on cooldown). This does a crapton more endless dps than I can figure out how to get out of my other classes. I know many like zombie bears @ 60. I prefer the added range of acid-rain and the way mobs get momentarily distracted by those poison blobs. If you want easier kiting, you can setup haunt with a slow.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ieUdXQ!UbW!bcccbY

If mobs stand still, we can spam Acid Rain (or Zombie Bears) on them forever. If mobs chase, Haunt is ridiculously good damage-per-cast-time (575% weapon dmg for one cast), so we can DOT and run and stay alive. WD rocks.
Edited by FGZ#1410 on 6/19/2012 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
tbh i seriously dont get why people say WD is the worst class. the first video i saw of diablo3 was the witch doctor video and the first class i made is the one and only witch doctor. i enjoyed playing it all the way to inferno and still am! play it right and we are freaking glass cannons. although with the new implemented attack speed reduction i cant say for sure so i guess we just got to play it out and see how it goes.

Since i played witch doctor the other classes (i have tried them all of course) seems abit dull to me :P witch doctor ftw!
Reply Quote
Have you tried barb yet? 50k health, 500 resis, and Im not sure what my armor is but I know its pretty high and yet I cannot get past act two... If its any class they need to buff its barb
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 09:17 AMPosted by MorgnFreemaN
Have you tried barb yet? 50k health, 500 resis, and Im not sure what my armor is but I know its pretty high and yet I cannot get past act two... If its any class they need to buff its barb

^ This... it's quite hard to barb well.... Lots of revenge and lots of gear.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Zero
The problem is that we are really good at crowd control. We just can't put damage on top of the crowd control. Whenever you party up, extra crowd control is great and all but when you don't output extra damage to make up for the added HP on monsters, your party gets mad because then it takes forever to kill mobs which usually means a rage timer and instant death.

My WD is *more* damage output than my DH or Wiz at the same gearing (at least with the builds I can figure out), not less. What are you using for dps that you feel you're gimped?

(See my other post for my WD build)
Reply Quote

--

My damage spells are acid-cloud and haunt, both of which spam pretty hard. When I have a haunt or two (with mana regen) up I can literally chain-spam acid-rain forever (except for casts to keep all my spells on cooldown). This does a crapton more endless dps than I can figure out how to get out of my other classes. I know many like zombie bears @ 60. I prefer the added range of acid-rain and the way mobs get momentarily distracted by those poison blobs. If you want easier kiting, you can setup haunt with a slow.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ieUdXQ!UbW!bcccbY

If mobs stand still, we can spam Acid Rain (or Zombie Bears) on them forever. If mobs chase, Haunt is ridiculously good damage-per-cast-time (575% weapon dmg for one cast), so we can DOT and run and stay alive. WD rocks.

Hell yes to Haunt with Draining Spirit. Being able to drop that on a bunch of enemies without worrying about the mana cost was a big help. Sure, the mana regen isn't much- but it let's you spam Haunt, and that's all you need from it.
Reply Quote
i just wish our pets weren't trash. even with good gear they die almost instantly. i played wd hoping that i can have summons and stuff, but then i finished all levels in inferno either using Zombie bears or splinters. :(
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Shadowthrone
i just wish our pets weren't trash. even with good gear they die almost instantly. i played wd hoping that i can have summons and stuff, but then i finished all levels in inferno either using Zombie bears or splinters. :(

What do you want pets to be able to do? Seems like they could pretty quickly be imba with respect to monk/barb if they get too durable.
Reply Quote
i think they need to give us more mana we get such a pathetic amount when we level and the regen is low, they made a comment i remember that "no one likes playing a magic user and having them run out of mana that kills the fun" kinda seemed to only apply that for the Wizard imo. that AND dont assign random high mana costs to spells that dont have that much of a kick, its a waste

also fixing the pets is another key thing
Reply Quote
We need our pets to be viable in inferno. That's it. When they seriously buff our pets the Witch Doctor can actually play like one. But yeah, we suck right now.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 04:10 AMPosted by oompa
No we are not the worst class. We just take more work/effort/skill to be successful with.

..so we are the worst class.

Every other class with equal gear value performs better = the definition of the worst class.

You are missing the point. The point is that the WD is just as good a class as the other, it just takes more from you to perform well. It takes more skill, more effort. Its harder. Its more challenging. Kind of like the point behind increased difficultly levels for the game itself.
WD is only the "worst" class if you are rating it purely out of "which class is most eZ mode", in which case why bother playing a WD if its too hard for you to enjoy?
Reply Quote
The problem is that WD have a really hard time farming compared to other classes...
1. pets getting useless in Hell ___ ok fine we got other skills to use
2. passives are 70% useless ___ k at least we got spirit vessel
3. CC skills are pretty much useless against elites/champions___ they work great on trash though which is really important /s
4. We aren't as tanky as Barbs and Monks and cant deal as much damage as DH and Wiz____ Some might say that the WD is balanced the problem is balance doesn't matter much in act3/4 inferno since you either kite+ burst down monsters or you tank and "slowly" kill them
5. Mana is total boring... every other class got an awesome resource mechanic tbh...

tl;dr: WD sucks in every aspect...I don't want to play another class so I gonna stop playing till they buff him
Reply Quote
Oh hey there, I'm a noob. I've only played the WD. But I KNOW that this class is the worst out of all of them. I also love to QQ.

Also, you haven't felt pain until you've played a melee class.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
no...wd is fine...

People on here complain about pets being one shotted, while other classes are one shotted. We have plentaful targets to make between us and them.

I played a wizard first and comparitivly imho WD is EZ mode.
Reply Quote
Anyone not in inferno and who hasn't tried other ranged classes in inferno... well they really have no clue.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 03:45 AMPosted by random51
Spoken like somebody who hasn't set foot into Act II Inferno

I'm actually at act 3 :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]