Diablo® III

Imperius is anything but angelic....

Characteristic of Lesser/Prime Evil
Wants to destroy sanctuary. Uninfluenced by reason or compassion. Hell bent on destroying the opposing force. Arrogant.

Characteristic of Imperius
Wants to destroy sanctuary. Uninfluenced by reason or compassion. Hell bent on destroying the opposing force. Arrogant.

Now I can understand that Imperius is the strongest angel in heaven, and therefore would be a little arrogant and perhaps pushy or bossy. However, Imperius appears to be more of a personification of evil than good. The only thing which makes him even remotely appear as 'good' is the fact that he is on heaven's side, killing demons.

I am a little disappointed with this depiction. Angels were meant to be everything good about Anu, while the demons represent everything dark about Anu. Imperius is more like a dark side of Anu which was born in the wrong place.
Edited by MetricTensor#6808 on 6/18/2012 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeaaah, half the characters in Diablo were well crafted, and the other half were just terrible. Sadly, Blizzard seems to have lost all sense of "subtlety" in their antagonists, which I'd say he counts as one of. Even the best villain in D3, Zultan Kul, laughs maniacally every 5 minutes and isn't even smart enough to wait until he's alive again before constantly foreshadowing his own betrayal.
Reply Quote
SPOILER ALERT! He's mean and angry and he's probably going to try to hurt you in the NEW EXPANSION!!!

because "THIS IS YOUR FAULT TYRAEL!" and you don't see him at the end

TLDR: it the D3 expansion is as predictable as D3, IMPERIUS IS A BADDIE OH WOW
Reply Quote
Expansion:
Imperius and Adria plots to free diablo! Imperius figures, "our goals are the same, why not work together?"

And then diablo obv. backstabs both of them.
Reply Quote
Expansion:
Imperius and Adria plots to free diablo! Imperius figures, "our goals are the same, why not work together?"

na....imperius and adria's kid is the next vessel for diablo :|
Reply Quote
^ I agree with graverobber. In the wrath video Diablo does imply that Imperius is hiding something from the other archangels which seems to infuriate him even more. It does make you wonder.
Edited by AscensionXI#1575 on 6/19/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Imperius is good. This is not up for debate. He has always been good. Unless something outside of Heaven influences his opinion, actions or nature, he will always be good.

Imperius is an Archangel. He is spawned from the Crystal Arch, the spine of Anu, a being of pure good. He is, in a universal sense, good. Just like how every Evil is evil.

Imperius isn't good ONLY in the eyes of humanity. Humanity was half hellspawn. Humanity is not 'good'.

The problem is we see this game through humanity's eyes. And because perspective is everything, it makes Imperius come off as 'evil'.
Reply Quote
69 Night Elf Druid
Characteristic of Lesser/Prime Evil

Characteristic of Imperius

I feel like the problem is that Good and Evil are a little different in the Diablo universe. Keep in mind that the angels, for the most part, really don't like the humans. Imperius sees humans for the half demons that we are and thinks we shouldn't exist.

What the OP points at is the very basis for the idea of "The Balance" that is introduced in the Diablo books. The idea that either heaven or hell winning the eternal conflict would be a bad thing. It is precisely because they both boil down to exactly what the OP is saying that neither is good for humanity. That's what I feel Blizzard was trying to say through Tyreal wanting to be a mortal (though it was a bit shoddy).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
In Diablo, angels are not necessarily good and demons are not necessarily evil. (In the eyes of humans.)
Edited by Manimal#1204 on 6/19/2012 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 06:05 AMPosted by Graverobber
In the wrath video, Diablo asks Imperius 'Are you afraid to show them what you truly are?' implying that hes not angelic at all, or if he is, he is someone of importance that has been in hiding all along. Not sure, but excited to find out.

Gee, the video is called Wrath, and Imperius has all that pent up anger against humanity. I wonder what Diablo could possibly mean?!?
Reply Quote
I've heard the analogy before of good representing the forge fire. It burns hot and bright, illuminates the darkness and allows men to create the tools that allow them to defend their homes. It is the defense against the darkness. The fire that burns too hot and too bright blinds those around it and turns the furnace metal to slag.

Imperius may be the embodiment of Valor, but valor can only be found in conflict. Imperius is pushed further and further to the brink by not only his enemies, but his own nature. He will continue to wage the Eternal Conflict no matter the cost. He is becoming the "logical" good. His desire to elimate all evil led him to vote for genocide of an entire race.

The story is being set up in a way that there is Valor, but no Wisdom. Order, but no compassion. And Imperius will likely be involved.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Melancholy
The story is being set up in a way that there is Valor, but no Wisdom. Order, but no compassion. And Imperius will likely be involved.

Going by the closing cinematic, we have Wisdom, but that leaves the Angiris Council without an Archangel of Justice. Which, in my opinion, works better for your theory.

Although I also think you're giving the Blizzard writers too much credit. Thematic storytelling has never been their strong suit.
Reply Quote
Expansion:

na....imperius and adria's kid is the next vessel for diablo :|

ewww...isn't Adria close to 60 now?
Reply Quote
Well, he *is* named Imperius. Imperius -> Roman Empire -> Constantine

Or if you want Freudian psychoanalysis, he's your father. Is Adria going to be involved in this?
Reply Quote

Angels were meant to be everything good about Anu, while the demons represent everything dark about Anu. Imperius is more like a dark side of Anu which was born in the wrong place.

That's what gives him depth. If he were just another goody-two-shoes angel, a lot of people would lose interest in him.
Reply Quote
i agree with graverobber it seems like imperious is something diffrent perhaps later on in diablo 4 or something he might become a deamon angel hybrid through dealings with the black soulstone
Reply Quote
A surprising twist would be if Imperius actually did something that could be perceived as good in the next expansion. He's set up for a fall, that is pretty much certain. Would be nice if he did a few good things along the way so he didn't look so much like a demon in angel's clothing.
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Zix
i agree with graverobber it seems like imperious is something diffrent perhaps later on in diablo 4 or something he might become a deamon angel hybrid through dealings with the black soulstone

You mean nephalim?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]