This may apply to you if this is how your game/launcher is behaving:
On login you get a message saying "A New patch for Diablo III is available" and it also says that your game will be closed and the patch will be applied. The game closes, the Launcher comes up saying "Game is up to date" and no patch is applied.
Basically, the "new patch" message means your Diablo III.exe or battle.net.dll does not match the version accepted by the server. If different regions are at different versions, you need to set your patch_url to get updates meant for the region you play in.
MAC USERS: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080198209
---------- Change the patch_url by editing the .agent.db file.
This is how you can set your client to get updates whenever they're released in the Americas region: (Shouldn't be needed if you use a client meant for the region you play in.)
Before you start, make a backup copy of the original .agent.db file. (to restore in case something goes wrong)
1. Go in your Diablo III folder.
2. Open the .agent.db file on WordPad.(This file may be hidden and please, do not delete this file)
3. find the "patch_url" line and change its value to:
http://enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch4. Save and close the file.
5. Now go in the Battle.net folder:
- Win 7/8/Vista
- Windows XP
C:\Document and settings\All Users\Application Data\Battle.net
6. Once inside the Battle.net folder, select and delete the Agent folder. (don't skip this step)
7. Start the Launcher.
** If the launcher doesn't finish "Initializing" after this, read the steps to downgrade your client. Otherwise, you're done. **
(Obs: Those using an English client (enUS, enGB or enSG) should avoid changing language of the game after doing this. - Meaning, leave it the way it is and don't mess with it unless you undo the changes to the patch_url first)
---------- Reverting the Client to the correct version. (Set the patch_url before doing this)
If the launcher gets stuck at Initializing 0.0% / 99.9% after changing the patch_url you'll need to downgrade the client to allow the launcher to apply the correct patch:
1. Delete the Updates folder. (Diablo III\Updates)
2. Delete the Diablo III.mfil file
3. Delete all files named d3-update-13300 in the Data_D3 folder.
- Delete only the ones added in the most recent build, 13300. Go in "Data_D3\PC\MPQs" and look inside base, LOCALE*, Win, OSX and Cache folders.
4. Replace your Diablo III.exe with an older version if the file (Must be older than 10235. And backup the original file, just in case)
5. Run Diablo III Launcher to repatch the game.
*LOCALE = Your game's locale (enUS, enGB, frFR, deDE, etc)
If you need a Diablo III.exe for step 4, you can download this one:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21864092/Diablo_III_exe_1_0_0_8370_zipThis file was extracted -- by me -- from base-Win.mpq using MPQEditor and if you don't want to download this file, you can do the same. (Just google MPQEditor)
---------- patch_url list. :) (You might need one of these if you don't play in the Americas region)