Diablo® III

Overawe vs Submission

From what I've seen on the forums, if people are rolling with MoC, they're using Overawe. Why doesn't anyone use Submission? On the skill calculator, Submission is listed as 12% damage per second, but in game it's listed as 21% IIRC. Not sure if I am misremembering or one of those is wrong, however ...

Assuming that my memory and the in-game tooltip are correct, you're gaining 21% extra damage to every mob close to you regardless of whether you're hitting it, vs an extra 12% damage with Overawe. The only thing I can think of is that if you're spamming MoC, you're gaining an extra 36% vs 21%.

Is spamming MoC the reason why people go with Overawe?
Reply Quote
Yes and it affects everyone in your group.
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Daeas
Yes and it affects everyone in your group.

Ahh, hadn't thought of the grouping aspect. I run solo 98% of the time.
Reply Quote
Does submission and/or sweeping wind apply Resolve?
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Piffle
vs an extra 12% damage with Overawe

I thought unruned MoC did 12% dmg, w/ Overawe it does 48% burst 24% sustained
Reply Quote
@Sidepart: I'm pretty sure they both apply resolve based on the wording but I'm not 100% sure. I'm curious as to what happens if they do apply resolve and if you have them both up with resolve as a passive.
Edited by KodiakDuck#1522 on 6/19/2012 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Piffle
On the skill calculator, Submission is listed as 12% damage per second, but in game it's listed as 21% IIRC. Not sure if I am misremembering or one of those is wrong, however ...

It depends on your weapon speed.

06/19/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Sidepart
Does submission and/or sweeping wind apply Resolve?

No
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Rule
No

Source?
Reply Quote
Overawe applies to Crits, Submission does not...Since Submission is a constant damage.... I find my overall damage is way higher with Overawe then Submission with my crit based monk.
Reply Quote
so if ur are not crit based, which i know everyone is but i'm not currently, lol, its better to have submission? also, if 2 monk in a group, 1 with submission and 1 with overawe, do u get the best of both worlds?
Reply Quote
Interesting... can you stack the same mantra on each other? i.e. 2 MoC: Overawe for 96% more DAMAGE?!?!?!? OMFG! *if we could, Wizzie and DHs would recruit monks as Overawe tanks to do 600k crits!
Reply Quote
the only circumstance submission might be a little better would be a 2h spec, and solo.

Also to note, the 17% damage from submission is not rolled into the 12/24% additional damage from base effect (but it does benefit from it)
Edited by Bacon#1205 on 8/2/2012 5:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I get 23% because of my attack speed, is 2H because of high damage from 2h? i like it because i kite a lot so i'm doing damage while kiting, also, helps with illusions as i don't use sweeping wind
Reply Quote
??
Reply Quote
LilUbo
Interesting... can you stack the same mantra on each other? i.e. 2 MoC: Overawe for 96% more DAMAGE?!?!?!? OMFG! *if we could, Wizzie and DHs would recruit monks as Overawe tanks to do 600k crits!

Have you not seen this done before. We use a passive called guiding light that boosts our parties dmg by 16% when we heal them(Mantra of Healing) then swap to Mantra of Conviction 48% more dmg and we vortex all the monsters back into a group over and over and let the demon hunters do what they do. Its actually fun to play body guard to your demon hunter.

Base skills do not stack but different runes on different monks will both take effect. Overawe + Submission
Edited by Enix55#1522 on 8/2/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i change from overawe to submission reason is been, if u are solo act 3, and got above 70k dps, mob die in seconds, overawe, also need to keep respam, as it is only efficent in the 1st 3 seconds, where as submission hit every 1 every seconds, thou the damamge is not high at only 5k plus, i also like it, as i wont have to keep spamming, as i need to always on sweeping wind, keep spamming the moc, will lead me to no spirit always, as i also like to keep my blazing wraith and blind on.
and lastly just to make sure, i am reading the guide in this forum, it stated that mov give u 24% more damage after 3 seconds activation, during activation only give u 12%.
using overawe, give u 48% more damage during activiation. then change back to 24% after
Edited by MINIKONG#6191 on 8/2/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i agree
Reply Quote
So submission better?
Reply Quote
Submission is better IMO, I kill faster when I use submission than overawe, and when u r kiting, submission > overawe since u still do dmg when kiting. There is some reason why u unlock submission at lvl 60 right? And the reason is it is stronger of cos
Reply Quote
@Niceone - yeah, and best primary attack is unlocked at level 6.
I don't kite too much, and with thunderclap I have a bunch of spirit to spent. With skills: mystic ally that I don't have to recast too much, serenity that is riddiculusly cheap, BoH thats also pretty cheap and only my spirit dumper SSS that has 30sec cooldown, I can spam MoC to get 48% dmg boost so I find it more useful than Submission.

I have passive Hand of Ythar so with 4sec serenity, I need to survive just 13 seconds to activate it again, SSS gives 1-2 more seconds of immunity... So I jump in the battle -> get 2-3 hits -> activate Serenity -> recast MoC (with 60 life per spirit spent it heals me for 3k, my health pool is like 20k so its decent heal as well) -> get 2-3 hits -> cast SSS (that heals me for 3k as well) -> get a hit -> recast MoC -> get 2-3 hits -> heal with BoH and MoC -> get 2-3 hits -> kite for 2 seconds -> activate serenity and attack -> get few hits -> MoC, BoH, and if some sick pack of shielding extra health nightmare arcane beam champion is still alive, I kite till I get back all my cds. But really, most of the battles I finish much faster.
I probably spam MoC even more often than I wrote here. I think I have it stacked for like 80% time.
Edited by inzSzpyt#2718 on 8/3/2012 4:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]