Diablo® III

Ghom 1.0.3 overtuned? (Inferno)

If anyone needs help with Ghom, inferno, let me know - for a fee of course.

Shame#1591
Reply Quote
It is possible, I killed him yesterday on my Monk.

Build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abigXk!YXU!Yccaba
Stats (Consider this is a DW DPS build, these are estimates since I am at work, can confirm them on my lunch break)
HP:25k~
AC:5000~
AR:700~
DPS:19k unbuffed~
LoH:350~
LPSS:85~
Dodge:30%~
Crit: 35%~

Idea on the stratergy is to kite him around the room, and always be next to him when he drops a cloud. First cloud will spawn as you run into the room, run up directly above Ghom, at this point get up SW, Mantra & 3 attacks with DR to get up foresight.

At this point he will be in melle range and start attacking with FoT / Quickening to pump spirit back up, when he does his second cloud use breath to heal as you are running out so all your buffs are up. The idea for the rest of the fight is just to DPS hard, use Deadly Reach whenever he is walking out of cloud, so you can have more DPS uptime & keep foresight up. It should never fall off.

Whenever he is in melle range blast unload with FoT & Mantra spam to maximise dps and healing via LPSS.

Serenity is a great tool to get free dps through clouds & usefull when your spirit is low & you need to top it up. Only other tip I can give you is that when you are dpsing the slime adds, if Ghom is being kited and not in melle range, use Deadly Reach so you can keep dpsing him.

Took me 2 attempts to kill him with this stratergy, and only 3 in total (first kill of Ghom in inferno was yesterday, casual gaming FTW)

If you want any help just add me in game, I can come show you. - Free of course.
Edited by Tinyzzz#1335 on 6/24/2012 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Priest
Got him on my 2nd try. 38k/95k dps DH. just maximize kiting space. Use pots and prep effectively. You should have 1 of the 2 not on CD at any given time. i went counter clockwise, making sure that I stand just a yard outside a gas cloud. By the time you get back to your original position, the first gas cloud should be gone. Rinse and repeat.
Reply Quote
'GHOM 1.0.3 OVERTUNED?'

Yes, is the answer to your question.
Reply Quote
I can't actually tell when he enrages. The whole room is constantly full of gas after a minute or so into the fight.
Reply Quote
He's easy to solo as a barb. Use the overpower with reflect rune trick.

Or do what I did and just use relentless as a passive and hack away, you should stay between 10-20% life the whole fight with those stats. All you need is frenzy and warcry.

I beat him with 3k dps (had no LoH so I had to buy a LoH weapon for cheap), 1600 LoH, 33k hp, 8k armor, 1.2k RA. Took like 6 min or so, my merc helped out a lot with 4.6k dps ;)

Edit: I also used inspiring presence as a passive, but it's probably not needed.

Worked like a charm almost laughable lol.
Reply Quote
same problem. DH with 98k dps. i have tried with different people and literally can't get him below 50-75%. thats great you guys can take the damage of his poison clouds, but for a strict demon hunter, the damage is way too much if the room is filled. to even out the playing field they should make the despawn timer for the poison clouds much shorter. because i have never survived long enough to see them despawn. if anyone can tank this boss with me, i would pay for the help. $$$$$$
Reply Quote
I can help you just takes a while 200k
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
60 monk, 34k health 750 resi all, 20k damage and 11k armor in battle can get him to 20% or so then he enrages, can't sit in the gas at all with my resists so i've got to run him. dont really have a problem with the room filling up too quick if you position yourself well in the corners, but that enrage timer is really fast
Reply Quote
finally killed him using just a 38k dps.

If you're a DH, get a bow or xbow with about 800 LoH and life leech of 2.5%, have grenadier and custom engineering as passives, then cast sentry with guardian and spam caltrops with jagged spikes inside the sentry's defensive radius. Go face tank Ghom when he enters the sentry's circle, just remember to spam caltrops with jagged spikes then spam grenades with the gas grenades rune. You should remember to continually spam caltrops as this is the key to your "invulnerability" during your face-tanking. ;p

I actually learned this from this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4op4ZZ7hY

Have SP with gloom and preparation just in case you'd need an additional boost in life leech
Reply Quote
It is possible, add me @ CritYourPant#1704, pay me 50k and I get the job done for you.
Reply Quote
finally killed him using just a 38k dps.

If you're a DH, get a bow or xbow with about 800 LoH and life leech of 2.5%, have grenadier and custom engineering as passives, then cast sentry with guardian and spam caltrops with jagged spikes inside the sentry's defensive radius. Go face tank Ghom when he enters the sentry's circle, just remember to spam caltrops with jagged spikes then spam grenades with the gas grenades rune. You should remember to continually spam caltrops as this is the key to your "invulnerability" during your face-tanking. ;p

I actually learned this from this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4op4ZZ7hY

Have SP with gloom and preparation just in case you'd need an additional boost in life leech

I want to confirm what he said. I died many, many times, when the room filled with gas... and then saw this thread, and read that. As a demon hunter, I went to the auction house and bought a 886dps, 660 life on hit, 3% life steal bow for 55k buyout (not bad, huh? But I think that's excessive.). All of my other gear was pretty good, though I don't know how important that is. Anyway, you basically stay in the radius of a turret (which gives -15% damage), don't move an inch, and spam both caltrops and gas grenades. As long as you can survive an individual hit, the life steal and life on hit will keep you alive - I was getting around 7.5k life per tick (which I think is 15k life per second). The grenades will kill any minions he summons.

I never used shadow power with gloom (though I did have it ready), but preparation with battle scars is useful if you suddenly become low on life and/or your discipline runs out.

In essence - just stand still, hold down two buttons, and wait. Speccing this way dropped my DPS from 66K (with sharpshooter) to about 16k, but that didn't matter since I could out-regenerate his damage. FYI, I had 600+ resists, 2.8k armor, 40k life, and 1k life per second; the only thing I bought for the battle was a life leech + life on hit bow.

I don't know how life on hit is implemented (since Blizzard does not bother to explain anything), but if every hit actually triggered it, cluster grenades and rocket turrets would probably work even better.

P.S. I had to start Internet Explorer 7 just to post this; the site is broken in Firefox 3.6. Shame on you, Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Blizzard, I rarely feel the need to comment on anything as I feel like I can live with a majority of your game tweaks, but this is just ridiculous.

I realize that Inferno is supposed to be hard, but using the mini-boss Ghom as a brick wall gear check to force people to buy items from the RMAH to beat him is just a bad move that will make you lose players (yes, this includes buying a crap ton of LoH gear, which I think should be completely unnecessary for any boss)

The fact of the matter is that he is not a strategically hard boss. I can kite him perfectly fine, and I can get him down to about 5% health, but then I realize that 1) there's no room to kite him anymore (i.e. my gear is not good enough to pump out enough DPS so it looks like I'm forced to buy gear from the auction house) and 2) the clouds that spawn later on are doing much much more damage to me (did he enrage? I'm not sure but he shouldn't since I only spent about 1 minute kiting him).

I've looked through tons of videos where others players have defeated him to see if I was doing anything wrong (I play a witch doctor), but nope, it seems like all the strategies to defeat him are very flimsy, exploitative, and rely on a crap ton of luck (unless you're melee tanking with LoH, which again, is a buying $$$ gear issue). And I don't think any boss in the game should rely on this much luck to defeat (given the appropriate gear level). So please consider fixing this boss, or you will lose another player.
Reply Quote
Ghom pretty easy for a WD stats/ 44k hp only 60k dps and 300 res lol still can beat him without issuse useing Vq/Rd/L/bear's 99% of the time dead before Rain dance Drops. loh 600 and LS 2.90. Stats for Dps WD havent seen them post yet,, but i seen a few go tank with 1600 loh ac and !@#$ like that.

Just cant carry anyone,,, anymore though it atm and dont feel like going tank doctor again. tryed to help a few friends but yepooo we all dead at 50% lol life yet. I thought they would of hot fixed him by now if they thought it was a issue. I just had them skip it and I killed the other bosses for them.
Reply Quote
well if anyone is having trouble my monk can carry 1 person tru ghom no problem :) do feel free to look me up ^^

oh and my services are all free :D
Edited by Achenpach#6586 on 7/20/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My barb can carry a full group through Ghom :)

I also kill bosses for free.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080180182

Edit: (It just takes forever!)
Edited by Nkrdbl#1839 on 7/20/2012 9:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I beat him today on my 2nd try. I thought he was crazy hard until I watched how other people would kite him (aka melee until cloud appears, move two steps sideways, rinse, repeat). Didn't need to change spec or anything.

(I play a critical strike focused monk btw)
Reply Quote
^^^this.

did it also on my second attempt as a WD.

18k dps
3K arm
800 res
Reply Quote
Thanks for the tip. I was having a heck of a time with him until I took your suggestions. Pwned him after that 1st attempt.
Reply Quote
The key for Ghom, as is the key for most of inferno, is you cant
just faceroll the keyboard and expect to beat him. Be smart about it. If he drops a poison gas cloud where you are standing use that to your advantage. On my WD I ran to the top left corner of the room and moved to another corner clockwise every time he spawned a cloud on me. I favor the low resist all build (a product of following MADDECENT too much =P) but I have about ~400 resist all, ~40k dps (around 100k with full buffs from soul harvest/gruesome feast which aren't really applicable here) almost 5k armor, 10k with horrify buff up (helps A TON). Using the standard Vision Quest/Bears build with fetish army as my long CD I would just hit the corner and bear, move to another corner and bear, rinse and repeat. If your dps isn't high enough all the corners will fill up before you nail Ghom. In this case you have to hit the middle before the corners are down then you can safely rinse and repeat. I know for WD the poison dart/pierce the veil spec is much more popular for soloing with a lot of LoH but my bears crit for 200-300k and I find that even with the nerf life steal is much better in inferno once you have high dps. On my barb I used a lot of LoH though as his dps wasn't quite as high. So the talking points: stay in the corners, rotate corners clockwise, middle, rinse and repeat corners dpsing all the way. Hope this helps I got Ghom on my second try on WD really interested to see how my Wiz tank does there.

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fPRdXU!VYU!cbaZYZ

Pretty classic bears build, this isn't specific to single target and could be tweaked to be better for Ghom but I didn't want to lose my valor buffs and this is what I use for running through Bastion's Keep before bosses. Also can replace Gruesome Feast for Jungle Fortitude if you need the damage reduction. Hope this helped!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]