Diablo® III

Macbook Pro gets HOT after patch

Ever since this last patch, as soon as I launch Diablo 3 (not even playing yet, just the login screen), the internal fans start spinning faster than they have on any application before. They do this constantly, and it is loud. Also, my laptop becomes incredibly hot, so much so that I debate whether playing the game is worth subjecting my laptop to the heat.

What changed with this new patch and how can I fix it?

As a sidenote, I, like thousands of others, would like to express my extreme dissatisfaction at Blizzard for their incompetent ability to help Mac users in any way, shape, or form. It has now been over a month since release, and Diablo 3 is still laggy, the FPS issue is still present, communication between the game and the mouse is extreme, and the game is overall near unplayable. Once out of every 3 or so times I run Diablo 3 does it actually work well enough where I can play with minimal problems (note "minimal" as problems still exist even in a best case scenario).

Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games, and I waited a decade to play Diablo 3. It is beyond me how little Blizzard cares about their released product, and it has become quite obvious that a fix will probably never come out. They will forever be "working on it diligently with their Mac experts." Thanks for nothing Blizzard, and way to secure the letdown of the year this early.
Reply Quote
Its nice that you post your feedback, but where are the specs? How can others help you when we don't know what you are running?
Reply Quote
Whoops! It's a mid 2011 Macbook Pro:

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
Reply Quote
I have to problems the internal fans start spinning faster (5762 rpm) than they have on any application before. They do this constantly, and it is loud. Also, my laptop becomes incredibly hot, so much so that I debate whether playing the game is worth subjecting my laptop to the heat.

my specs:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2,4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.60f5

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Reply Quote
Also having this same problem. Laptop becomes extremely hot almost to the point that i should shut it off before it wrecks the rest of my computer. Is there going to be a fix for this or is there some setting i can change to fix this. i have a new 2012 updated macbook pro i5 ivy bridge
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
If you limited your FPS prior to the patch, the settings were reset. This means any caps you had along with settings all reset. Have you tried capping them again?
Reply Quote
My FPS settings have are back to what they were before the patch, but this isn't an FPS issue- the fans start spinning at full speed as SOON as I start the game. Not even playing the game, just in the login screen and the game feels the need to max out my laptop's fans.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
So, couple of things.

What have you tried in terms of troubleshooting?

I want to suggest an SMC reset first of all, as that controls the fans really. That also resets voltage to your graphics chipset.

I would also suggest a combo update to refresh your graphics drivers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524

We're still looking into this, but these may help ease soem of the load that may cause heat issues.
Reply Quote
Just curious.

What was your MBPs CPU temperature and GPU temperature and also the fans rpm before the patch. And also after the patch.
How much did it increase?
Reply Quote
So, couple of things.

What have you tried in terms of troubleshooting?

I want to suggest an http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964" class="bml-link-url2">SMC reset</a> first of all, as that controls the fans really. That also resets voltage to your graphics chipset.

I would also suggest a combo update to refresh your graphics drivers.

<a href="http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524

We're still looking into this, but these may help ease soem of the load that may cause heat issues.

I've done both of these, to no avail. SMC reset was my first thought, but it didn't sem to help.

Just curious.

What was your MBPs CPU temperature and GPU temperature and also the fans rpm before the patch. And also after the patch.
How much did it increase?

I didn't take measurements before the patch, as I would have never guessed that a patch would do so much to the temperature of a computer. My bad there I guess. I don't have any exact numbers, but since the patch, I can feel heat radiating from the top of my keyboard where I keep my fingers on the number keys, which has never been an issue before.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you try to install something like iStat Pro or SMC Fan Control, to see what the temps are and fan speeds?
Reply Quote
its a mac they not build for gaming, nor the OS is.

i would try some burnin programs and temp monitors to help you decide whats the issue.

any game (not just diablo) or a high performance app will yield the same result
Reply Quote
Normal Temperatures:
Fan speed - 2000 rpm
HD Temp - 77 F
CPU Temp - 94 F

Diablo III Temperatures:
Fan speed - 5428
HD Temp - 90 F
CPU Temp - 149 F

its a mac they not build for gaming, nor the OS is.

i would try some burnin programs and temp monitors to help you decide whats the issue.

any game (not just diablo) or a high performance app will yield the same result

I'm getting tired of hearing this as an excuse. If a game says on the box "Works on Mac," I expect it to work. None of my computers are built for gaming, yet I have never had this much trouble trying to play a game that the developers had over ten years to make sure it worked as advertised.
Reply Quote

I'm getting tired of hearing this as an excuse. If a game says on the box "Works on Mac," I expect it to work. None of my computers are built for gaming, yet I have never had this much trouble trying to play a game that the developers had over ten years to make sure it worked as advertised.

WOW
my friend... look, first off, you really dont seem to know a damn about what you are talking about...
i am not doubting that the patch made things worse for you, nor that blizzard messed up the mac client. but still your ignorance is troubling me.
a sticker telling you "works on mac" is what you base your claim on?
a mac is still a computer and relies on hardware. and hardware changes and gets replaced/updated in newer iterations of macs.
so there is no such thing as "works on mac".
also you are running the game without a dedicated graphics card and are pissed about bad performance/heat issues?
please invest some time into research, before buying your next computer and dont just expect everything to work because you are assured of it by a sticker.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
The fans should come on, as Diablo III is a very demanding applications, more than WoW/SC2 due to graphics. You should be able to hear them.

Now, for the 320M, you should be able to try to drop your hardware class to 1 in the D3Prefs file and limit your Max Foreground FPS in between 25-30. This should lower the heat, and may it not so hot, as this is an integrated card.

I personally have a 320M for my Mac Mini and I play Diablo 3 with FPS limited to ~23. I can play at native resolution with shadows on low very well. Heat isn't an issue with these settings for me. You may want to see if that helps.
Reply Quote
The fans should come on, as Diablo III is a very demanding applications, more than WoW/SC2 due to graphics. You should be able to hear them.

Now, for the 320M, you should be able to try to drop your hardware class to 1 in the D3Prefs file and limit your Max Foreground FPS in between 25-30. This should lower the heat, and may it not so hot, as this is an integrated card.

I personally have a 320M for my Mac Mini and I play Diablo 3 with FPS limited to ~23. I can play at native resolution with shadows on low very well. Heat isn't an issue with these settings for me. You may want to see if that helps.

I expect the fans to come on, as it IS a demanding game as you have said. I'm just wondering why the fan rpm has increased so much since the newest update. Before the update, the game ran fine at a decent temperature with the fans spinning nowhere near as fast, so I guess I'm just wondering what changed and how I can change it back.

I don't have the 320M, I think the guy that posted after me did though. I will try the hardware class change though, but my FPS are already lowered to the values you suggested. It may be a few days before I get back, as I am on vacation, but I'll keep you updated on the issue.

my friend... look, first off, you really dont seem to know a damn about what you are talking about...
i am not doubting that the patch made things worse for you, nor that blizzard messed up the mac client. but still your ignorance is troubling me.
a sticker telling you "works on mac" is what you base your claim on?
a mac is still a computer and relies on hardware. and hardware changes and gets replaced/updated in newer iterations of macs.
so there is no such thing as "works on mac".
also you are running the game without a dedicated graphics card and are pissed about bad performance/heat issues?
please invest some time into research, before buying your next computer and dont just expect everything to work because you are assured of it by a sticker.

This isn't the place to argue the Mac vs PC debate, but suffice it to say that I have done plenty of research on Macs, and am not sure where you think I am "ignorant" on the subject. There is such thing as "works on Mac" because I have plenty of programs that run flawlessly. And you're right, I do expect that if something is advertised as supported, I expect it to work (false advertising?). I wouldn't buy a PS3 game and expect it to work in my Xbox, and the same logic applies. None of my previous laptops (PCs) had dedicated graphics cards either, and they ran games fine, so that really isn't the issue that I'm having. But again, this isn't the place to debate this, so if you're so against Macs, don't visit the Mac Technical Support forum, and don't assume that I haven't done plenty of research on the computer I own.
Edited by Beatzero#1896 on 6/25/2012 9:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i dont even know where to start... so i wont.
good luck with your stickers.
Reply Quote
i dont even know where to start... so i wont.
good luck with your stickers.

Exactly.
Reply Quote
Tried what has been said in this thread, still no luck. Actually, the fans reached a max of 6196 RPM last night, so it's actually gotten worse. I have my max foreground FPS at 30 and background FPS at 8, and the exact same settings I had before the most recent patch when my fans weren't going out of control.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Let me ask you a new questions

• What do you normally play your MacBook Pro on? (flat table with no tabel cloth, desktop, in lap, etc).
  • Where do you play at? (outside, in a cool room, warm room, etc)
  • Do you have any sort of case or keyboard protector on the Mac?
  • Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]