Diablo® III

Constructive Feedback (Collaboration)

90 Gnome Warlock
I think that they can easily put breakable items back into the mix with one simple fix:

Every 25 breakables broken, without killing a mob, gives you a debuff in which you gain nothing from continuing to loot only those AND chests/graves/racks. The debuff lasts for 15-20 minutes, or until you take down a champion pack.

So, if you can break 24 urns and kill some monsters, you don't receive the debuff. This will help curb botters for a little while. People who want to exploit the game always will. There will never be a hard fix for this, unless it hurts the actual playing player population.

Most of the people who were jar farming were doing it by logging out of the game and not killing a single thing.

A debuff would be worn off as soon as the player logs out of the game.

I've also addressed this here.

Destructible Objects

Instead of just flat out nerfing destructible objects, why not have an internal timer that's applied whenever you kill an enemy. Let this timer last for say 2 - 5 minutes. Much like how Nephalem Valor expires, this will allow players to not be punished for destructible objects.

When this timer is applied, destructible objects will act like they did before the nerf. When the player is not actively killing monsters, destructible objects will be worthless. This way you're still encouraging the player to actually play the game.
06/20/2012 11:40 PMPosted by Drothvader
Adding a socket to an item is a worthy suggestion. If you can suggest how it may be done in Diablo 3 I would be more than happy to include it in the OP.

I've heard arguments (that make a lot of sense) from Blizzard against socketing because gems / items are already salvageable. I think a huge imbalance would be created if adding-sockets-whenever-you-want was implemented. Since posting before, I've had a chance to think about how it might actually work.

Allow adding sockets without causing massive imbalances (hopefully):
- An optional quest (perhaps from a wandering vendor) in a later act, maybe Act III, that has the reward of letting the player add a socket.
- Since stashes are shared now, this would really have to be account-unique, perhaps allowed only in Hell and Inferno; possibly Nightmare, since this is about the time when gems and socket-able items start to drop.
- Allowing it to be optional would give players a choice: Use up one of three sockets now, or wait until they're in end-game.

I really love the idea of adding sockets, but I can't quite figure out something I know will be a concern for Blizzard: creating an environment where, in order to have the best items, players will be forced to save their option to socket items until later. If anyone else has a workable idea to solve this problem, please share it!
90 Gnome Warlock
I think damage due to normal wear and tear should be removed if they want to keep the current repair costs. That way only deaths are punished and not melee who take longer to kill things and get hit more often.

For the magic find issue why not just put a cap on MF through gear and bring back it's ability to affect all objects. The only way to get higher than the cap would be through NV stacks. Maybe the NV stacks overwrite the gear values so if you are killing elite packs you don't need to worry about MF gear at all - would take out the need to swap.

Well, you also don't want to punish those who have found legitimate itemization on their gear.

When you up your magic find it's intended that you're replacing it with a stat you would favor instead.

So for instance instead of looking for a roll with a crit bonus, you would be looking for a roll with magic find.

It's intended for the mechanic to be a tradeoff between useful stats and magic find. Creating a cap would only serve to punish players even further.
I think that they can easily put breakable items back into the mix with one simple fix:

Every 25 breakables broken, without killing a mob, gives you a debuff in which you gain nothing from continuing to loot only those AND chests/graves/racks. The debuff lasts for 15-20 minutes, or until you take down a champion pack.

So, if you can break 24 urns and kill some monsters, you don't receive the debuff. This will help curb botters for a little while. People who want to exploit the game always will. There will never be a hard fix for this, unless it hurts the actual playing player population.

Well, I think the problem with that fix is that it becomes incredibly frustrating to work around in certain situations. For example, in a place with tons of pots, like the infamous Royal Crypts, you may clear out a room, then run around breaking pots. But then you have to stop before you hit 25, go kill a mob, then you can finish breaking them. And if you raise the number to where you won't encounter situations like that, then you cease to actually deter people from pot farming.
Wow, these are great ideas! This post is an oasis in the seething badlands these fora are.
90 Gnome Warlock
06/21/2012 12:04 AMPosted by Ian
Adding a socket to an item is a worthy suggestion. If you can suggest how it may be done in Diablo 3 I would be more than happy to include it in the OP.

I've heard arguments (that make a lot of sense) from Blizzard against socketing because gems / items are already salvageable. I think a huge imbalance would be created if adding-sockets-whenever-you-want was implemented. Since posting before, I've had a chance to think about how it might actually work.

Allow adding sockets without causing massive imbalances (hopefully):
- An optional quest (perhaps from a wandering vendor) in a later act, maybe Act III, that has the reward of letting the player add a socket.
- Since stashes are shared now, this would really have to be account-unique, perhaps allowed only in Hell and Inferno; possibly Nightmare, since this is about the time when gems and socket-able items start to drop.
- Allowing it to be optional would give players a choice: Use up one of three sockets now, or wait until they're in end-game.

I really love the idea of adding sockets, but I can't quite figure out something I know will be a concern for Blizzard: creating an environment where, in order to have the best items, players will be forced to save their option to socket items until later. If anyone else has a workable idea to solve this problem, please share it!

You know... if Blizzard allowed the option to enchant an item with a randomized stat maybe it could yield a socket?

You would have to pay gold to enchant / disenchant an item but in turn you could end up getting a nice useful stat or a socket out if it.

That might address the issue.

Also, when an item is sold on the AH all enchants should be removed so that the item isn't sold already enchanted.

That might allow a chance to have an extra socket and allow the game to not be thrown off balance.
90 Gnome Warlock
06/21/2012 12:09 AMPosted by cacomixl8
Wow, these are great ideas! This post is an oasis in the seething badlands these fora are.

Thank you!

Also updated to reflect a new idea. Enchanting

Enchanting

An idea for not only an additional gold sink, but also for a way to allow players to customize their gear further, a randomly generated vendor could appear that allowed the option to roll for a chance to enchant an existing item with a randomized stat. This stat can be anything even including a socket!

Gear could be rigged to support only one random affix per item. You can pay a fee to remove the affix and roll again until you get the stat that you are looking for.

When enchanted items are placed on the AH, all enchants are removed from the item.
You know... if Blizzard allowed the option to enchant an item with a randomized stat maybe it could yield a socket?

You would have to pay gold to enchant / disenchant an item but in turn you could end up getting a nice useful stat or a socket out if it.

Also, when an item is sold on the AH all enchants should be removed so that the item isn't sold already enchanted.

That might allow a chance to have an extra socket and allow the game to not be thrown off balance.

I think an enchantment that had a chance to be socket would be a little bit redundant (also heard the Blizzard argument about removing enchanting b/c it's fairly similar to socketing gems). Also, I think it would be too random and difficult to achieve.

I think stripping enchantments off if selling it would begin to get complicated from a software-perspective. A whole new class of affixes would need to be developed, otherwise standard affixes would be stripped too.

What about binding items with added sockets to the Battle.net account, like BoP items in World of Warcraft?
90 Gnome Warlock

I think an enchantment that had a chance to be socket would be a little bit redundant (also heard the Blizzard argument about removing enchanting b/c it's fairly similar to socketing gems). Also, I think it would be too random and difficult to achieve.

I think stripping enchantments off if selling it would begin to get complicated from a software-perspective. A whole new class of affixes would need to be developed, otherwise standard affixes would be stripped too.

What about binding items with added sockets to the Battle.net account, like BoP items in World of Warcraft?

I can think of a few ways to handle it from a technical standpoint, it wouldn't be too difficult.

As for socketing, the gem system is really bland in comparison to actual affixes you could get.

Gems aren't really all that special, so I personally think a random affix on an item would be quite good.

There's a whole myriad of stats that can't be achieved with gems and quite personally, I don't find them all to exciting.

I'm afraid to say it, but WoW has a much more diverse and engaging gem system than Diablo 3, and I find that amusing since the WoW gem system is almost a direct copy from Diablo 2.
06/21/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Drothvader
Gems aren't really all that special, so I personally think a random affix on an item would be quite good.

I think the gem system could be expanded to fill in the missing gaps that currently exist. I completely agree that it's extremely bland, but I just don't think it makes sense to invent and implement a whole different mechanic (enchanting) when the existing one (gems) could be improved.

I'm not against enchanting; it was a fantastic thing in WoW, but I think it would be redundant here.

Another idea for improving the gem system: on items with multiple sockets, adding some uniqueness by giving a bonus % to the gem effects if they're all the same type.
Or instead, giving a small additional affix, depending on what combination of gems are being used (this would inherently make items with a single socket not receive this bonus).
90 Gnome Warlock
06/21/2012 12:35 AMPosted by Ian

I think the gem system could be expanded to fill in the missing gaps that currently exist. I completely agree that it's extremely bland, but I just don't think it makes sense to invent and implement a whole different mechanic (enchanting) when the existing one (gems) could be improved.

I'm not against enchanting; it was a fantastic thing in WoW, but I think it would be redundant here.

Another idea for improving the gem system: on items with multiple sockets, adding some uniqueness by giving a bonus % to the gem effects if they're all the same type.
Or instead, giving a small additional affix, depending on what combination of gems are being used (this would inherently make items with a single socket not receive this bonus).

Hmmm, adding a bonus for gem combinations would only make multi socketed items just as desired as pre nerfed IAS items. Perhaps an addendum to the gems section to include combining gem types to get other stuff like crit bonus instead of combining the 2 stats together.

I do agree however that they need to expand the gem system. It's very bland and leaves much to be desired. Most gems are pretty much considered worthless except for your main stat and the amethyst. Or at least that's the way I feel.

I have such a horrible migraine from reading these forums today... I am going to bed but I will update the OP with any suggestions I read tomorrow.

Yet again, blue response would be appreciated just to know you care about the people who have not yet lost their sanity!
I really like OP's points, especially about NV being available pre-lvl 60. Sure, it was cool to see NV for the first time when I hit lvl 60, but now I really do miss it on my alts.

I see an elite pack and I'm like "Oh yeah! gimme nv! ...oh wait" then sadface.

I'd also personally don't mind the crazy crazy elites, but I like the idea of adding a higher chance of a high rolled item from them. More risk = more reward type deal, instead of nerfing it down to "only semi-hard ones will remain and all super hard ones removed"

I am also disappointed in the breakables nerf - it was definitely needed to stop abuse - but I really enjoy smashing stuff on my regular runs and now I don't even want to... :(
06/21/2012 12:41 AMPosted by Drothvader
Yet again, blue response would be appreciated just to know you care about the people who have not yet lost their sanity!

I pinged Lylirra on Twitter about this thread. I want to make it clear that not *everyone* is complaining.
another suggestion , which might have been said already but im too lazy to read back lol... anyways.. repairs should go up in price for each death , starting fairly low and when it breaks then i wouldn't mind paying an insane amount for repairs because if i die that much i deserve to pay that price. Honestly if they are that concerned with putting a toll on death they should make it to where you lose your neph valor for dying , dont kill the economy =/
We all want the game to be as great as it can be so regardless of if you think the game is good or not lets post all the best ideas we have seen so blizzard can make the game better.

I been reading the forums for awhile and finally decided I had to post as this is a quite wonderful idea that Kanzer had.

"It may be too late in development for this, and it's probably already been mentioned, but I think what would add a lot more strategy to this would be if you could use some of the enemy's abilities against them. Run them through arcane sentries to cut some of their life off. Make them stand in desecration or get frozen. Even if it isn't 100% chance, it would be nice if you could use those abilities rather than always just fearing them/throwing your computer across the room. A little bit like how Health Link can actually be beneficial. Heck, even being able to kite a group of fire chain champions into other groups to make them melt each other sounds like fun to me."

This would greatly add to the ability of people to use skill to kill mobs and not just gear, while at the same time leaving a high level of difficulty, and man wouldn't we all love to yell out loud when killing a very hard group "Take that #$%^& hit by your own XYZ"

Would also add depth to the fights which is the main thing I liked about the first time i fought belial.

To combat people just running in circles while mobs kill themselves it would take some tweaks to the targeting mechanics so they don't just drop skills randomly as well as probably some ai changes so they dodge, (even more depth) also especially in inferno it is not easy to just run around mobs, however this idea wouldn't do much for all mob affixes just some. I still remember when i saw the skeleton king kill a minion of his for the first time and was like OH COOL!

There are other mobs that kill each other already so I don't think it would be that huge an issue, frankly I cant even imagine how hard it would be to dodge enough to pull that off ;)

Also there is always the enrage timer...

Also please note its that the idea warrants additional game-play options that makes it compliment the game, im sure there are other ideas out there as well.

Post the other great ideas you have seen and lets try to make the game better not just flame ^.^ (tho flaming is fun)
This is the only constructive thread I've seen in days!
Kudos to everyone
06/21/2012 12:02 AMPosted by MoshingChris
The reason I make this suggestion is simple: Not everyones a Pro at this game, nor does everyone have the time to commit to hundreds of in game hours matched by AH watching.

It's better to park the group off to the side and look for an easier pack with 5 stack than to lose a stack, maybe kill those, then lose the stack you just gained because the next pack requires your normal skillset and not the gimpy against everything except this one pack setup.
This is the only constructive thread I've seen in days!
Kudos to everyone

obvs not looking very hard, or not on the forums for very long, there's been dozens today but they get buried in garbage.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889220366?page=1
I think damage due to normal wear and tear should be removed if they want to keep the current repair costs. That way only deaths are punished and not melee who take longer to kill things and get hit more often.

For the magic find issue why not just put a cap on MF through gear and bring back it's ability to affect all objects. The only way to get higher than the cap would be through NV stacks. Maybe the NV stacks overwrite the gear values so if you are killing elite packs you don't need to worry about MF gear at all - would take out the need to swap.

Well, you also don't want to punish those who have found legitimate itemization on their gear.

When you up your magic find it's intended that you're replacing it with a stat you would favor instead.

So for instance instead of looking for a roll with a crit bonus, you would be looking for a roll with magic find.

It's intended for the mechanic to be a tradeoff between useful stats and magic find. Creating a cap would only serve to punish players even further.

Well right now people are just swapping out their gear for MF before the fight ends to get the boost instead of actually playing the stats loss + MF gain game. Or they are avoiding fights altogether and using pure MF gear. I don't want to mess with combat gear swapping since people do that legit on some fights while still thinking of a way to bring our rewarding breakables back.
Dear all,

I want to say Thank You for creating such a Good Thread! Really appreciate of what you all did here.

I'm a very Casual Gamer (1 hour per day and maybe 3~4 days per week... :P), but I will try my best to give some good ideas as possible.

For the meantime, saying Thank You is the best I can do. I also hope the CM will really look into this.
Edited by Rahkailum#6509 on 6/21/2012 2:39 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]