Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

Lylirra,

Has blizzard considered having your stacks go poof when you switch a piece of gear out?

It would be a solution in my opinion, this way. You are bound to your gear + skills until you join a new game. I don't see the issue with it, it is a solution to the problem.. yet, people will always complain.

That would suck when you find a new item that your not sure if its benefits outweigh its drawbacks.
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

Im getting kind of tired of hearing "We did this because it was not fun". What in the freaking hell? Who flipping cares if people were swapping gear for chest or barrel or whatever it may be. The reason this change was implemented is because of your static NON RANDOMIZED MAPS that auto-it scripts can easily bot non-stop. That is the only logical explanation for these changes, not because mf gear swapping wasn't fun.

I guess high ias wasnt fun, killing bosses with 5 stack nv wasnt fun. I honestly dont care about the IAS nerf but nerfing nether tenticles to the point of uselessness was...you guessed it, NOT FUN, along with a tons of other supposedly fun aspects of the game (for instance item affixes GARBAGE, nickle and dime item upgrades, I can go on forever listing non creative non fun content).

These changes are fun? In what world? It seems like every step the dev team has made since removing the mystic has been reducing FUN period. The blizz team needs to seriously go back to the drawing board and get a clue. This game is ruined because blizzard is bound to profit from the stupid RMAH.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 6/20/2012 3:20 PM PDT
06/20/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Ehnoex
Why are you judging what is fun to us. You doing this has caused the game to dramatically change. Peoples gear is garbage now, peoples spent hours and money is garbage now. This feels more like a MMO BETA than an actual ARPG. Here is a hint. Stop changing the game and we wont rage like we are.

Agreed, plus...

The Diablo series has had object smashing fun since its inception, if you are going to ruin that aspect to make us have fun the way YOU want don't just expect everyone to be pleased.

Dictating our fun is not fun.

What is the point of having all the smash-able objects if they are now almost purely just in the way. Why not just remove them so we are protected from possible future exploits by botters which will cause you to nerf the minuscule amount of gold they drop now to something even more minuscule and infrequent.

Protecting us and telling us what is fun.

Thank you.
06/20/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Noatz
Grinding for hours and getting lv55 hand crossbows is really fun.

I like the 90.1 DPS weapon (lvl 51) I got from Act III. It was rare. Only took 20 minutes to kill that pack.
Lylirra: Ultimately, we think players running around with ...

You thought wrong ...

You are nerfing the entire game down to the lowest common denominator in a vain attempt to slow progress of the over-achieving minority, and in the process you are ruining the game for *everyone else*.

As my Grandmother would say, "You are cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Please continue ... we are watching with morbid fascination ... as players abandon this sinking ship in droves ...
Sounds like your idea of fun = me pulling out my credit card and buying items on your RMAH.
80 Dwarf Shaman
So... what you're saying is... don't use MF.

I'm glad this game is turning out to be everything BUT Diablo.

Don't carry around a blue set with JUST MF on it. MF on good gear for killing mobs is much more valuable.
90 Orc Warrior
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

"You will play how we want you to play"
Blizzards philosophy for 1.0.3:

We're gonna screw over gamers...

And then we doubled it.
One alternative to the gear swapping would be having the gear work if in you bag. (ok not ideal, but not gear swapping at least)

Another idea would be only getting a buff from magic find after you killed an elite wearing it .... like another stack of NV (but with an amount equal to your magic find score)

Just brainstorming.

As for the breaking stuff reward. Breaking stuff was fun , but maybe there was too much to break without it being tedious. Reducing the number of barels and vats would have been another approach.

Locating all of those far from checkpoints would certainly be a good idea.
85 Goblin Hunter
Well I seriously doubt any blue let alone Lylirra will come in here...but I actually didn't swap gear, my ONLY set happens to have a high amount of MF, and now it is completely useless, a wasted stat. The repair costs are through the roof and even when NOT DYING you're still having to pay a massive repair cost.

I just don't get it...what is "fun" about the game punishing me at every step of the way?
Why not just allow players to have 2 sets of outfit which they can swap on and off anytime they want?

Also swapping on magic find for breakable objects and chests are not something players feel forced to do. We do it because we want to and because it's fun to increase your chances of getting something good.
Suggestions/Feedback:

- Limit effectiveness of gear swapping by having MF ramp up over time. I.E. -- MF increases by 1% per second, maximum rate. Swapping gear out instantly removes whatever bonus had accumulated. You swap a bracer from 0MF to 15% MF. It takes 15 seconds for the full bonus to be applied.

- In general, I favor 'nerfing' destructibles. It is fun to smash them, but they are way too easy to exploit with bots. Google search 'LK farming D2' and you will see what happens when UNGUARDED chests can drop great loot. The risk vs. reward ratio is way out of wack when it comes to urn/destructible farming. D2 had "evil urns" that could drop gear or spawn an elite pack on top of you. There are already some areas like this in D3, so I think you've already done this. However, I would like to see more of this -- elites guarding piles of urns/chests with loot.

- 1 Guaranteed rare with 5 stacks is really awesome. I love this change. I just wish it was easier to get to 5 stacks in Act 4 hell. I have to play through half of it to get the full stack rolling. There don't seem to be enough elites! The rare can be any item level -- I have seen ilvl 61 rares in Act 4 hell, so that is definitely working and is helping gear up.

- Repair costs are pretty harsh now. I feel compelled to go where risk is lowest, otherwise I end up losing gold for the night. There are enough server hiccups that I die at least a couple times a night through no fault of my own. Now I am afraid to buy gear on the AH because I need some reserve to make sure I can continue playing (i.e. repairing). But if I buy gear on the AH, maybe I can farm faster? It feels like a gamble now... I suppose on the plus side it should drive prices down or increase gold value. But the repair costs punish those without good gear much more than those that are already fully geared, which feels like a bad system. The rich get richer and those on the bottom have even less gold to get gear to become effective at farming.
Edited by Jim#1333 on 6/20/2012 3:11 PM PDT
Also to everyone complaining about swapping out gear. Have you ever played diablo before this?
It's common to have your normal gear and a set of MF to swap into. I'm sorry that you didn't think of this and missed out on some drops but thats common knowledge and normal in this kind of game. Thats how you farm people
You are loosing your fan base Blizz....

why are the player more passionate about this game then the devs....

Thank you for continuing to tell us what is and is not fun.

Just a quick question. Should I have fun by stacking crit chance/damage or is that not the right way to have fun either?

I just don't want to waste a bunch of time building a set that provides me with fun just to realize later on that I wasn't having fun the right way.
85 Human Mage
@ Menacetech, you speak the truth
There are plenty of topics with constructive feedback and what went wrong, but you should read it you know?

1.Listen to the community. We WILL tell you what is broken and what is NOT

2.This is no MMO, stop treating it like one. ENRAGE TIMERS on bosses?!?!Seriously? Have you thought of the melee classes who need to sacrifice dps for defense? These are gamedesign fails that are SO obviously. Also bosses drop chance is not more epic than on normal groups...Why not patch them out of the game and it's players vs. imba-affix-groups

3.The loot as such is NOT epic. MF is useless, I don't even feel the difference between 5 NV and 300% MF. The new dropchances are nice, but still 95% of the loot stays crap. Plenty of topics on that one. There is no "DAMN I JUST FOUND THIS AWSOME STUFF" feeling as in others

4.Instead of NERFING skills you should focus on making other skills USEFULL. But we already told you that 10000 times.

5.Stop telling us WHAT is FUN and what is NOT. You obviously fail at it.

6.I don't get started on the repair costs, but the guy who decided that should be fired

Let's sum it up, this is no hack and slay. It's a kite and run. You force your definition of "fun" on us, and the flames on this forums is what you get. If you want to fix MF, make sure that the items we find CAN be epic (There are plenty of things you can add from d2 or design new one) And these things have to happen ASAP and not in the far future.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]