Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

I've got some feedback on mechanics to make magic find work. Get rid of your cop out NV buff and make Magic Find actually work. Unlike it's current state where I dont even need magic find to get gear, I can just rely on NV to do all the work for me. 200% MF actually shows its working when I do get drops to show for it. Or like it works now, I can stack 300% MF and get nothing of relevance.

You know back in the D2 days when having MF actually increased your drop success. And if you had none good luck getting anything useful ever. Or I forgot D2 =/= D3. My bad.
Lylirra,

While you are here, PLEASE explain the problems with act3 inferno loot since the patch (1.03) Im sure you have read the many threads going around
You don't want people gear swapping? And there is not even a simple weapon swap like D2 had?

And yet everyone that knows how to farm knows that you have to swap every single piece of your gear to MF right before any Elite or Boss dies.
Honestly you killed the people who like Treasure Island kind of games. D3 should embrace the gamer and the explorer. Some people only like to collect gold and run around and break stuff. I also enjoy some non monster time every once in a while. I fear it is to late now because so many have left and you did not test the game on a test server. Why I have no idea. We have a test server for patches on Education Software. I mean i feel as if your company just dropped the ball and did not take in account any of what your fanbase had to offer. But hey like I said before I made my money back and got out at a good time. Because I see the walls are caving in now and the RMAH is at a standstill since most the real players who beat Inferno Diablo before can just bounce now because you sucked the fun out of the game without testing it.
85 Undead Mage
Can someone please explain why i have to pay 25k to repair my items. I went broke when it was 10k...
85 Human Paladin
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

The developers may not have found it fun but I found it fun. I still fought monsters and didn't avoid them. I did both. :(

If I were to add feedback and constructive criticism to this, I believe that it may have been a bad call. But we're all humans, we make mistakes.

The only suggestion I can think of is sticking with the original plan to just balance act 2+. You see a lot of people on here yelling, cussing, screaming but that's not giving you guys any idea of what to do. I don't know, I'm just glad I'm not in your position right now
Edited by Mixxy#1757 on 6/20/2012 2:53 PM PDT
Lylirra,

While you are here, PLEASE explain the problems with act3 inferno loot since the patch (1.03) Im sure you have read the many threads going around

There's nothing wrong with the loot. It was as straight nerf to the loot percentages in acts 3/4 and "compensated" by the acts 1/2 loot percentages.
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
fun

Hold it right there. You do not deem what is fun for us players. This is the major communication problem that is happening right now. God forbid you actually listen to players when they tell you what is fun.
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

• Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

When presented with 2 ways to play the game, nerf the !@#$ out of one, to force everyone to play the other. No wonder people are leaving in droves.

can the guaranteed rare ever be a set item or legendary? is it guaranteed rare or better? or simply a guaranteed rare?
06/20/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Wizkey
Can someone please explain why i have to pay 25k to repair my items. I went broke when it was 10k...

Apparently the answer is no.
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra

I think the guaranteed rare (with 5 stacks) should be on par with the level of the champion or elite pack you kill. It's really frustrating getting a level 51 rare from act 3 or 4 when you have died multiple times to get it and the repair costs have been increased substantially

The actual fix would have been to have great unique items with magic find. While not as powerful as full dps or pvp pieces, would actually still viable to play and beat the game with.

You know, like the preceding game. That game existed for years and years with great MF gear that people could get if farming was what they wanted to do, and they went on doing it for years, complete with vases and chests that actually dropped stuff.

People are only swapping to MF gear because, quite frankly, we've all been pidgeon holed into a very narrow set of gear that's actually capable of killing creatures.

Congratulations on understanding that a problem existed, it's just a shame that the only fix that can be arrived at was to completely nerf magic find to stop people from wanting magic find gear at all.
Umm.. if people find it 'fun' to gear swap for every breakable object and chest they find.. LET THEM. Sounds like great fun to me! woooo!

Anyway, if you guys are more concerned about how fast/exploitive gear can be found to ruin your AH game ecomonics rather than people enjoying themselves.. This game has was doomed long ago.

Exploits in this sort of game will ALWAYS be around.. it's called finding out 'advantages'. If they disappear, nobody is interested. Annnd.. perhaps 'exploits' itself is a strond word.

Btw.. been trying to find out from someone.. Did Titan's Quest ever release a patch to show item names on the ground? Tried the demo, liked it other than that.
85 Undead Warlock

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun

THIS, This is where you wen't wrong, this is not an MMO, what your idea of what fun is, has no bearing over the game as a whole. What happened to, we want you to play your way? Was there some fine text that said, as long as your way is our way, that I missed?
Simply put: The game isn't fun right now. You guys seem to think you know better than your players about what is or isn't fun, which is your mistake.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]