Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

I have something to say.

Please revert all the changes you just quoted. No, really. Why can't we get items from vases again? You said that it was basically so players don't run around swapping MF gear and smashing environment objects. Okay, but why not just disable MF for environment objects then? This isn't Diablo anymore. In Diablo, you have a small chance of getting something incredibly awesome from a barrel or a vase. Now, we don't have that. There is literally no point in breaking objects in the environment because (1) they only drop gold and (2) in Inferno, breaking barrels racks up your repair bill to an absurd degree (who made this decision?)

Jay Wilson himself said that Diablo isn't going to go the way of MMOs because it ISN'T an MMO. If players want to farm barrels for a low chance at getting something nice, they can. It's up to them. But with the last few patches, this game has been getting closer and closer to an MMO. For some bizarre reason the game is becoming incredibly centred around elite and champion mobs. Even unique bosses don't drop anything worth a damn. Uniques aren't worth engaging anymore because the repair bill you'll get from merely being in combat with them vastly outweighs the crappy couple gold stacks they drop.

Look, toning down the monsters in Inferno acts 2-4 and smoothing out the item drop curve was a good change. But as for everything else, it is putting this game to an early grave. The number of players online has dropped by almost 90% since release, and it is because of all of these "control-freak" changes that are forcing players to play the way Blizzard wants. I'm afraid to play characters above level 53 because I know my repair bills are going to ruin my gold stash unless I deliberately leave the game to auction drops on a regular basis.

The technical designers are walking on eggshells. There are currently three very appealing substitute games in the same genre on the horizon, and all of them are advertising what Diablo 3 cannot provide: the thrill of loot. This has been stripped out of the game already through recent patches and the game is hemorrhaging players.

Also, you'd be wise to put class bugs above everything else. Patch 1.0.3 turned up as a giant middle finger to all witch doctors, and the only response was "witch doctor bug fixes will come in 1.0.4. There is no ETA"

And I'd like to conclude about nerfing hotspots. When discussing this game, it feels like I'm constantly looking over my shoulder for the "Big Brother" that is the Diablo 3 team. If anyone finds anything remotely worth farming, it is immediately and completely overkilled by a nerf or a hotfix without notifying the playerbase. Take the entrance to the Aqueducts in act II for example. We're no long allowed to see a champion there because *gasp* someone was killing that champion for NV stacks. This is apparently a criminal action, because despite the champion being challenging and surrounded with lots of backup, it still got replaced with a unique monster JUST because it was in a fixed position (and surprise surprise, there is no reason to fight unique monsters anymore). I've learned to shut my mouth about hotspots on the forums, because I know that if I mention one it'll be obliterated in the next patch. You need to re-evaluate the goals of the Diablo 3 team. You are restricting players, and people are leaving because of that. At this rate, nobody is going to purchase future expansion packs, the Diablo name will be fouled, and Blizzard's reputation will plummet.

The product we're stuck with now is strictly inferior to the one we purchased. It's insulting.
Edited by Tulki#1930 on 6/20/2012 3:06 PM PDT
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun,

So your telling us.. what WE find fun....
90 Worgen Rogue
If Lyrirra is still scouting this thread...

Are you going to make it worth while to have magic find along with 5 NV stacks? From my understanding as it is now, 5 stacks gets you one rare from elites and 2-4 from bosses. Now of course Magic Find still helps but NV is a 100% thing so it almost feels as if Magic Find is useless. Sure, I could roll with more Magic Find but I never seem to have a need since from my boss kills, I just get lucky and sometimes more rares drop.

Don't get me wrong, I love NV but I mostly ignore Magic Find since it feels that Magic Find just barely tips the dice in my favor while NV is rolling with loaded dice.
Why not just make it easier to switch MF gear? That way you can just press 1 button and then raid the chest. Makes an advantage for having good gear but still easy enough for casual players. Who cant click 1 button before and after a chest?
90 Tauren Death Knight
Until this last patch i felt bad for blizzard because of all the hate but now that i have seen just how stupid you guys can be i have been pushed to the dark side with the rest of the haters. You claim to make changes to increase the amount of fun we have in the game yet every change so far has had the complete opposite effect. In reality you want to convince us that we are having fun while forcing us into spending real money on the game to get anywhere.
Edited by Ravinus#1380 on 6/20/2012 2:56 PM PDT
And yet again, I'm thoroughly amazed by the number of people that considered breaking pots and opening chests for hours to be fun.

I find Blizz's measures to be rather draconian but.... why does this ruin the game for you? I just..... don't get it.

Edit: Also, to those who think Blizz is dictating your fun, consider their situation: They leave it alone, and everyone whines/makes fun of the fact that breaking pots is the most efficient farming method. They nerf it, everyone complains that Blizz is telling them how to have fun.

How do they win?
Edited by LordBryne#1205 on 6/20/2012 2:57 PM PDT
She wont be back to reply here.
Because that's simply not fun for her.
So, Now we know why the game is broken.

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.
Edited by plndn#6789 on 6/20/2012 2:57 PM PDT
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

You say we made changes like you have a say or any experience in the game development department your just a

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

• Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

You say we like you have anything to do with this game other than passing on the words of your boss.
So the solution is to take away the satisfaction of finding a good item from a destructible asset? To make the game "more fun?" What the Hell?
90 Worgen Druid
lol blizz is so two faced.
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra

Really? I never felt I needed to put on magic find gear in Inferno when I opened chests or broke pots with my NV stacks (maybe I'd put on magic find gear if I opened a very rare resplendent chest) Also, why are you saying YOU don't think it's fun. Are you the only people playing the game? Does it matter what your CUSTOMERS think? Maybe you should remove the magic find attribute instead of removing all of the item drops from the game.
I agree with the changes to mf affecting chests, its not fun to feel rewarded for gear switching everytime i run across a chest. But please add a garunteed rare to resplendent chests to reward players for finding them because now the only reason its only worth exploring dungeons is because you know they tend to have more elites than the average area. Also please address the very low drop rates of lvl60+ items. I like most of the changes in 1.03 but many players have reported finding far fewer 60+ rares than pre 1.03 and thats no fun.
Edited by Fusrodah#1817 on 6/20/2012 2:58 PM PDT
Hello

To combat anti-magic-find item set - make you loose the nephlen stack when switching gear, and implement an option for two weapons like diablo 2. Just like when switching an ability.

Problem Solved.

To combat "endless corpse running at elite until they die". Make mobs automaticly heal to full hp after death, maybe even ressurect fallen comrads mobs in battle.

Problem Solved.

Attack Speed. It is a big stat, but you should have kept attack speed for weapons and amulets. Glove, boot and other legendaries with off-stat attack speed, surely nerf. Rings had twice as much stat-points for attack speed -> surely nerf. But it was a lot, yet I doubt this is anything serious. Could have been more gentle ;)

You are continuously striking with a wrong solution to the problems you face... you seem to make rash decisions without thinking clearly.
Edited by Lycia#1816 on 6/20/2012 2:58 PM PDT

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

But people will not do both if you make weapon racks dont drop wepons and have the chests and all other destructible things become so much more meaningless. I think the changes, as applied, are counter-inuitive, and what surprises me that no one on the blizzard side understands what so many very loudly outspoken people see.

But if perhaps someone on the blue side can at least admit "yeah, it still needs more work, this is not where things will stay" and you say this very DIRECTLY, maybe people will be less upset.

Also, I really dont agree that rares should be "garunteed". Originally, it was a thing tat always had a CHANCE to drop, but garunteeing it? So basically rares are no longer a pleasant surprise but an expectation?

Perhaps that's why there are so many complaints now about the lack of good rare drops. The fact that there arent, plus a lot of are drops that are automatic...
Thanks for the post Lylirra.

Would you be able to clarify if the posts about finding more <ilvl60 items (ie, finding more vendor trash) is true? Personally I am noticing a LOT more sub lv60 items in Act2/3 Inferno, but an official post would be nice. It feels like the garunteed rare and chance of ilvl63 loot is being offset by lower quality loot dropping.

Also, since Blizzard has made vases/barrels/vases/pots into basically just more useless clutter (like white items) can you get someone to implement an option to just turn them off?
Wait didnt they make all these changes because people complained about "exploits" or "farming spots" if so , then are those people to blame?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]