Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

06/20/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Lylirra
so... i'm smashing pots and other smashables...and my gear is losing durability.... why is this happening? seems unnecessary.

We agree, and we're already looking into reducing the durability hit players take from normal wear-and-tear. This way, players who never die aren't getting hit with a giant repair fee every 3-4 hours.

This is good. I was wondering why the increased repair costs where across the board and not just on death, or even, on death in Inferno. Just punching a barrel cost me 38 gold in Hell when it used to cost me 20. Very small amount I know, but the example speaks volumes.
Please stop treating this game like an MMO.

If I want to swap magic find gear and risk dying, then let me do that. If you don't find it fun, it does not mean that I don't find it fun.

Diablo 3 has WoW syndrome now where the developers say "this isn't fun so we're going to change it" even though people are perfectly fine with that specific "issue." Then down the line, say in the next expansion, those features will magically come back. I guarantee in the next expansion or two we'll start seeing attack speed gear that has the original values we've been using up until 1.03.
'

Nail on the head, buddy.
06/20/2012 06:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
"We think it isn't really all that fun, but I sure love doing it!"

For clarity, we never said destroying environment objects wasn't fun. You can still smash objects for a chance at gold drops, or just because you want to. Players feeling like they needed to always carry around MF gear and switch to that gear before destroying environment objects in order to be as efficient as possible, however, was something that was repeatedly communicated (in these forums even) as something that wasn't enjoyable -- and we agreed.

This still doesn't address the problem that simply smashing pots results in higher repair bills than the gold you get from the pots.
ironic, but since getting game gold, by any means, means printing more currency in USD... they HAVE to find ways to remove gold from the market permanently.

^^^ This is the ultimate modus operandi.

Since any player COULD essentially print unlimited USD by gold farming with no risk, blizz needs to remove the unbounded economy buster from play as often as possible. Hmmm question arises, ethically, if the game revolves around gg * (#some factor%#) = real currency on any given day, how does blizz get controlled into not breaking the law?

Since they chose to introduce real life cash, and it is directly relate-able to USD, they will continue to do things like this (even if, they revert this patch), by just slowly implementing limiting factors like: (limiting your bubble jet ink cartridges lifespan, making paper less obtainable, turning off your electric whenever they feel like, all so you cant print more currency, errr ummm, I mean game gold) and turn a profit.

Imagine if the Federal Government wasn't regulated with respect to printing currency and how much of it?

This is also true. This has gotten out of hand. If Blizzard handled it all better, this could have been a light-hearted choice-based thing we all hoped for. But the implementation has been garbage, and the greed of the sellers is insane as well... I don't think this is going to work out.
90 Night Elf Druid

For clarity, we never said destroying environment objects wasn't fun. You can still smash objects for a chance at gold drops, or just because you want to. Players feeling like they needed to always carry around MF gear and switch to that gear before destroying environment objects in order to be as efficient as possible, however, was something that was repeatedly communicated (in these forums even) as something that wasn't enjoyable -- and we agreed.

this idiot doesnt even play the game obviously. just a forum poster. good luck if you ARE destroying pots etc... it costs durability to do so. and they dont drop much at all. enjoy the repairs.
View profile

You should have made it so you can only change gear in town and there is a cool down time. Like 60 seconds, so it sucks to play that way.
06/20/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Lylirra
But I LIKED smashing pots!

Me too. And I'm still going to smash every. single. one. of them, for the sheer pleasure of it.

But the "pleasure" from smashing pots came from the possibility to get at least SOMETHING from them, now they're just a hindrance when I need to click on an enemy next to one....
06/20/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Lylirra
so... i'm smashing pots and other smashables...and my gear is losing durability.... why is this happening? seems unnecessary.

We agree, and we're already looking into reducing the durability hit players take from normal wear-and-tear. This way, players who never die aren't getting hit with a giant repair fee every 3-4 hours.

Well.

How about just do away with normal wear and tear?
And please reduce the repair cost by 50%

And please
smashing jars with no gold , yet deals dmg to our gears? for what? pure pleasure?
what are we? deranged donkeys? LOL!?

If u wanna make destructible items like jars, then have something good in them, gold, amulet, rings recipes (makes sense, small items)
Im sure everyone would love to break them out of pure pleasure again.
100 Tauren Druid

By the way, when players say things like "Blizzard just wants us to play the game the way they want us to play it," that's both true and not true -- but maybe not in the ways that you think. We definitely encourage experimentation, exploration, and variety. We've seen a lot of interesting tactics and builds and play styles develop since launch, and we're still seeing players find new ways to progress their characters. And that's really freaking cool. What we don't want to have happen, though, and where we're most likely to step in make changes, is when a certain tactic or a single way to play becomes the ONLY way to play.

Thank you for taking the time to address the players in a very hostile environment right about now. It is encouraging to know you are looking at the repair cost aspect that has everyone, myself included, up in arms.

I would like to add something for consideration when the discussion comes up about how your team envisions what Diablo 3 should be. Granted you can't make something that will make everyone happy all the time but I believe the development team should make decisions that are in the spirit with your statement that I quoted here. I think many of us who play for experimentation, exploration, and variety feel like that option was taken away from us with the increased penalties for dying via increased repair bills. Experimentation will not always result in success and I would be willing to wager that a majority of the time it fails completely leading to a players demise but it necessary step towards developing new techniques and successfully perfecting different play styles. I am sure it is too early to say definitively what effect this will have on the game long term but I would hope that any changes moving forward will keep an eye on the bigger picture on how these changes will effect everyone and not implement something that will penalize those it was not intended for.
Edited by Pained#1239 on 6/20/2012 7:02 PM PDT
Why dont you just admit reducing MF on pots is a terribad, miscalculated mistake. It's so much easier than awkwardly (and failing) to defend the patch.

Deep down I think you know the crowd is right.
glittering price ! make it so ! :o ... but... there is no cow level :(

sincere, honest, factual proof, with links, and interviews with these people (noting they arent plants) ... Or it didn't happen.

Oh, wait, you can't prove it. But unless you want to delete 1000's of posts and pay people to play the game as employees, the reality we see proves your statement above relatively baseless.
Thank you

I totally agree, swapping your entire gear before an elite pack/boss dies just so you can have tons more MF is not fun at ALL.

And to those of us who paid alot of gold for GOOD gear + mf so we could benefit from regular play breaking things / killing things what?? a giant shaft that's what.

please show me the 10,000 threads every day where people said,

"I feel like i have to carry around mf gear to smash pots, it isn't enjoyable".

ZIP. ZERO. NONE. NOTTA.

You have it all wrong. You are talking out of your.. you know what. You are trying to defend something that you can't defend.

THAT. WAS. FUN.
Find anything good out there? I am looking forward to Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim.

Yeah me too cant wait thre is a game that lets you play it the way you want too. Plus mods to take it the the next level if you like. And it cost me less to buy
complain complain complain, whine whine whine, this game is sick, you dont like it, dont play it, simple enough
Community Manager
06/20/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Catslap
this idiot doesnt even play the game obviously. just a forum poster. good luck if you ARE destroying pots etc... it costs durability to do so. and they dont drop much at all. enjoy the repairs.

I responded to a similar concern previously. Here's a link so you don't have to go back and search through older posts. (Unfortunately, the "Next Blizz Post" feature is broken right now, so I know it's harder to follow the conversation. =/)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]