Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

The end result is that players will kill monsters and ignore environmental objects because they are not worth their time.

If mf doesn't work on vases, chests, clouds, etc... then wouldn't it be logical to increase their base drop rates to compensate? That is if the true goal is for players to enjoy killing monsters as well as opening shinies
Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

Yes, how about they actually drop something useful? I.E. Not 10 levels lower than you are currently at. No use at all when you're trying to level up from Hell to Inferno, jump into Inferno and you're basically in trouble when you hit the first elite / rare mob.

That is of course unless you farm for 1000 hours to get enough gold to use the AH. Not very enjoyable a a course of action. Not everyone wants to use the AH, and shouldn't be forced into a situation of having to, just to get better gear for res or dps.
We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

I'm really looking forward to this! i think it would be really insightful for the community
All the things that made Diablo/Diablo 2 amazing games are steadily being destroyed by these devs. The changes you are making ARE the things people love about Diablo. People want to faceroll mobs, smash items for possible loot, get ridiculous gear and destroy anything. That is what made people love Diablo, what you are doing is making people hate it (Diablo 3)
Just a reminder.

Our item pool philosophy is that you can break an urn and get the best item in the game - it's all a matter of chance. Running more difficult areas and taking on more difficult enemies will not always be the most efficient way to find upgrades.
I was farming act III and act IV pre-patch. The drop rate of the only items I care about (ilvl 63) was reduced enourmously. The amount of rares generated in the first place was also reduced. The repair bill was increased enourmously. At the same time, AH prices have sky rocketed and gameplay has changed.

I sold all my monks gear a while ago to gear up my wizard because kiting with a monk is so retardly stupid, I simply didn't want to do it. Now I'd like to go back to my monk, but there is this enourmous barrier in my way.

1) I have no hope of farming some gear to get the monk started, because everything I get is garbage.
2) Because everything I get is garbage, I can't sell it on the AH in order to buy crap for my monk.

This leaves me facing a huge and extremely dull grind of act II with a character I no longer want to play, just so I could play a character I'd probably get bored of in a week anyway.

Diablo 3 = uninstalled.
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient

wow that made no sense AT ALL. you seriously think people are "forced" to do !@#$ like that?? use your brain. besides, if they want to maximize efficiency because they're hardcore then it's their right to do so.. don't tell them what's fun and what isn't.. they bought the game and should be allowed to play it however they want. i don't know what this game is but it definitely doesn't deserve the name Diablo in it. ridiculous.
I really really don't understand Blizzard's logic. I never once felt like I had to swap gear before opening a chest or a weapon rack. I always carry MF simply because I find it a fun stat to keep around with me. And now it's far less useful. Weird.
Every change, idea, design, future patch are all determined how it will be most beneficial to the RMAH to keep that flow of cash swimming in, doesn't matter if the future patch is "fun" for the players, only if its projected to produce more revenue from the rmah
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

• Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

I'm glad that you think you know what we want.
"we want you to..."

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both).

Your changes to MF are not fun. Developers may not think magic finding chests, racks, ect is not fun but maybe some players do. Why not allow players to do what think is fun rather than forcing everyone to get 5 stacks of valor and kill a boss?

I personally would never change out an entire armor set to open a chest, but to each his own. In Diablo 2 I always had as much MF on my gear as I could fit without sacrificing killing speed.

Oh, perhaps you know that chest runs and rack runs were part of Diablo 2. I did do Lower Kurast runs on those sparkly chests. There were sparkly chests in other places that were run also. And weapon racks were run in Diablo 2. What is wrong with allowing such things in Diablo 3?

Currently your system favors botting as it nerfs all runs a legit player could do. We all know no matter how much you guys try you are not going to be able to eliminate botting. Your changes hurt the legit players more than it hurt the botters.

The changes made it not worthwhile to pause to open a chest or break destructables. Not fun.

I hope you do manage to make MF fun because the changes you guys made made destroyed the fun of a lot of legit players.

06/20/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Slevnin
Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Which translates into drops were nerfed. Not fun.

A lot of those elite packs have insane monster affixes and are unbeatable. Not to mention enrage timers. Not fun especially when considering the now insane repair costs.
Edited by GrumpyOldWiz#1874 on 6/20/2012 3:00 PM PDT
And yet again, I'm thoroughly amazed by the number of people that considered breaking pots and opening chests for hours to be fun.

I find Blizz's measures to be rather draconian but.... why does this ruin the game for you? I just..... don't get it.

Because it's nice to find a random surprise in a barrel once in a while.

I've found elite uniques in the weirdest places in Diablo 2.

I got a crown of ages from a box in Act 5 just out in the middle of no where.

it's things like that. Stormshield from an armor rack, the occulus from a barrel.

Random loot is supposed to be random, but if you remove the random from it, then you have objects in the game that serve no purpose other to show off the physics.

why break a barrel now? it doesn't drop anything, and all its doing is costing you a repair fee.
I want to just add that maybe you guys overdid it on making no items drop from crates, and destructibles. My first legendary was from a crate. I've pretty much clicked or broken everything till this patch. I don't wear any or much MF or GF gear, i just play the game and the best part of the D series is just having a chance of getting items anywhere and everywhere. If you maybe changed the way MF affected drops from destructibles, that may have been better then to throw it out completely. This game is feeling much much more like WoW and less like the D series. Its a linear game, why make game breaking changes (not just this, but other changes too on this patch) a month into the game being launched?

I wouldve been happier to see the auction house and RMAH released with the expansion, so at least the game felt paced correctly and bugs could be fixed before you have every wiz and dh farming Act 4 in relatively bad gear when the game launched because they glitched their way in the beginning to amass a fortune and powerleveled through poorly designed game experience mechanics. Just my thoughts so far. If their was no Auction house, id still be in hell difficulty with my barbarian, which is fine because bugs and drop rates, ect.. could be fixed without the thought of all the gold and good gear available on the AH because of bots and exploiters.

You take the nerf the hell out of everything approach to fix problems that should have been fleshed out in Beta honestly. AH and RMAH should have come later or at expansion.
Edited by Quigly#1305 on 6/20/2012 3:00 PM PDT
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

So Lyl,

You're telling me what "fun" is in the game? What if I disagree with you that it IS fun??
Fun is subjective no?

Honestly i dont think killing the same champions over and over is fun either but who am i to tell anyone else its not fun if i want to run around and beat the !@#$ out of objects then obviously its fun to me what im trying to get at is why dont you let us the players decided that, that was the only thing i read and went how stupid can a company get why dont you just remove the objects then they drop nothing i guess your art team have to have something to be proud of.
Raging neckbeard nerd pot smashers.

You guys are idiots.

Thats all.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]