Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

90 Troll Warrior
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient.

So here is your problem. You are trying to define the parameters of "fun". If that is your only concern in regards to this change, then there is no hope for this development team. If you had other concerns, farmers, gold sellers, economy control, then say so. But if you made this change in the name of fun then you are doing it wrong. Cuz it sure is a hell of a lot less "fun" having thousands of breakables that are virtually pointless and have a stat like MF that only works in regards to dead monsters drops.

Speaking for myself, I found rares and even one legendary via crushing breakables w/o the use of MF set on all the time, so I hardly thought the game mechanics necessitated that in order to be most efficient.

And two months ago you post this:
Posted by Bashiok
Our item pool philosophy is that you can break an urn and get the best item in the game - it's all a matter of chance. Running more difficult areas and taking on more difficult enemies will not always be the most efficient way to find upgrades.

REALLY?!??!?

But hey, way to break something that was at its core a true definer of the Diablo brand. Kudos.
87 Human Priest
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this. Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

Here's my feedback, and I'm glad you requested it. Thank You!

The players who are having brain bleeds over these changes on the forums atm (thousands of them) don't base their idea of fun around what you tell them is 'fun'. The thing that is least fun is having every method other than the approved one systematically stricken from the game. There are seriously tons of us who just wanted to do what we wanted to do in what was a great and enjoyable game.

I love Diablo, and I loved Diablo 3, but what's happening here is the total destruction of fun so that it can be replaced with 'play the way we tell you to'. As many have said D2 allowed one to be OP and god-like, and play the game however they wanted. Please please please for the love of Deckard Cain's butt crack... Please don't make your one arbitrary play style mandatory and suck the life out of a game that could be viable for years to come.

Let us be free to make choices and have fun.
06/20/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Ehnoex
Why are you judging what is fun to us. You doing this has caused the game to dramatically change. Peoples gear is garbage now, peoples spent hours and money is garbage now. This feels more like a MMO BETA than an actual ARPG. Here is a hint. Stop changing the game and we wont rage like we are.
H
Here's a hint to you!
They change the game because people are raging about broken things.

1.)Don't want people to swap between MF and DPS?
Reality: People ran with auto-switchers and macros to switch them

2.)Pots drop less gold and items
Reality: Bots ruined this one for us.

3.)Why does Blizzard tell you what is fun or not fun?
A video game is like a movie or a book. If you do not like it, you are not obligated to play it again, you are not obligate to watch the Cinematics again. If you want freedom and choice, play a sandbox or another game. If you cannot find something to your tastes, make your own game.
My friend and I were clearing act 1 inferno last night and had a blast finding new random events, but were disappointed when we only got an achievement.. or unlocked a merchant who has a disappointing rare.

All events should drop one guaranteed rare imo. Also, Inferno events that result in a merchant should have a guaranteed i63 rare of random quality.

Please also confirm the quality and chance of loot in act 3/4 is working as intended.

Id also like to add...act I inferno is too easy now. I didnt play act 2, but I assume its a bit easy as well. Act 3 is about right. Act 4 I cant comment on(dont have access)

Repair cost I can deal, but reduction in dmg from fighting would be nice.

Thanks
The issue I have, and possibly many others, is that you are determining what is fun for us the end users. This is not not first response that I have seen from a "blue" poster that said something along the lines of "isn't really all that fun".

What gives you the right to determine waht is fun for me? You do not even know me.

I consider myself a casual player. I know I am not a "hardcore/skill/leet" player. I work, support a family, etc... therefore only play a couple hours a day. Therefore I only reached Inferno a week or so ago. Ergo, I did not get in on the "advantages" of farming Inferno in the beginning and do not have millions or billions of gold.

So my choices for better gear to progress through Inferno are farming or AH. I can't use the AH becasue the gear I need sells for multi millions (see above). Farming champion packs with NV is pretty much out now as well. Due to my current gear level I die a lot in Inferno and the new repair costs are way over the top.

So, that should leave me with MF runs breaking objects and chests....but wait...you determined that was not fun so I can'e even do that.

All most of us want is to the play the game the way we choose. But you (Blizzard) take this away from us by arbitrarily determining what is fun for us.

Like many others I was a D2 player. And while you may not think is was fun, it was. Trying to see how high you could MF and run around breaking stuff just to see what you could get. I played for 2 or so years and never found the rarest or "best" gear, but had a blast searching for it. No limits on my MF, DPS, etc... It was a great time.

OK, I rambled. Summary - let us determine what is fun for ourselves!
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

Would you be able to confirm or deny the decrease in item level 62 and 63 drop rates in acts 3 and 4? (obviously our insight is through player testing and statistics only, as we do not have the drop rates pre-1.0.3)

If this is, in fact, true, could you please provide a bit of the reasoning or rationale behind this change? Patch notes and prior communication gave plenty of reasoning behind allowing iLvl 62 and 63 drops to occur earlier in progression, but nothing was mentioned about decreasing the drop rate in acts 3 and 4.

Your response is greatly appreciated.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
mhm
this is all fine but how is the average player not to good like me going to play when it costs more to repair then i can make if buying gold is the option then thats an exploit and blizz should be banned
All elites gain 1 guaranteed yellow

Bosses lose 1 guaranteed yellow

Problem?

I killed 5 elites... I didn't get any rares.
you know whats "fun"

player vs player

to bad it wont be released for months and it will be utter !@#$ for months after that until they attempt to balance it by nerfing the %^-* out of items/characters
06/20/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Ehnoex
Why are you judging what is fun to us.
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient.

If someone chooses to spend the time to swap gear for every chest, pot, weapon rack, why not let them? Obviously, for some reason, they find it fun. Why punish those who just run around with NV stacks and play the game as you intended?

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun,

Let the player chose what is fun or not?
So if for the blizzard doing same act 100 times while listening and watching stupid cinematics every time it's fun it should be fun for all player i dont get it...
06/20/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Binarynova
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

As I understand it, the fun of Diablo has always been about getting fat drops.

If you remove methods of getting fat drops, in what way are you making this game more fun?
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.
3 things
1 You are ASSUMING EVERYONE switches gear which is false
2 What about those of us who spent 2 million to get to pony land
3 Why do you tell us what is fun?
Thank god blizzard knows what all players find fun in their games, or rather what they SHOULD find fun. You truly are our betters! How would we ever manage without you...
We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both).

well, then make us able to fight inferno!! nerf attack speed, sure, i live with that, i can kill boss slowly, i dont mind it take half hours to fight a boss, i like the Challenge. but Enrage on boss..3-4 mins to kill a boss, give me 1500resis, 100k hp, and at least 30k dmg, so i cant with the boss without running!!

normal monster totally can handle, elite is still hard, which is good, challenging, but some just impossible to kill.

i know normal monster cant drop very good loot, but the chances are impossible!

since May 13th, have you guys buff anything that make players feel "wow! now my class play play the game better"

i guess not! all you did is "god! blizz finally fix the bug, wish they buff my class a bit"
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]