Diablo® III

Drop Rates increased but...

06/20/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Lycia
Attack Speed. It is a big stat, but you should have kept attack speed for weapons and amulets. Glove, boot and other legendaries with off-stat attack speed, surely nerf. Rings had twice as much stat-points for attack speed -> surely nerf. But it was a lot, yet I doubt this is anything serious. Could have been more gentle ;)

This is a good point. Why do rings have the same possible ias as amulets and only half as much for other stats such as crit chance and damage? i think itd be an improvement to allow for greater %ias on amulets to support builds that rely on fast attack speeds like melee stacking LoH.
Edited by Fusrodah#1817 on 6/20/2012 3:03 PM PDT
EXCUSE ME!!!!

YOU GUYS NOW ARE SAYING WHAT YOU THINK OUR FUN SHOULD BE AFTER OVER 30 DAYS OF NOT HAVING FUN???????????
06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient.

Now I appreciate for the sake of civility that you all must be intelligent people, however to me you seem to be doing a great job of creating the impression of either being a complete bunch of morons, or not having your heads in the game at all, perhaps in the AH/RMAH? Perhpas D3 isnt your primary project - its a part time gig you have to support alongside WOW etc?

You want to stop people swapping magic find - Did noone ever think of sticking cooldowns on gear swapping? Like all the other annoying cool downs?

Need to nerf people getting themselves killed chipping away at elite packs - did noone ever think of simply making death cause a much high loss or durability and otherwise leaving repair costs alone so as not to cripple all gameplay?

Need to stop cheesy farming runs botting etc? How about that if you reload the same zone within N minutes it doesnt actually get cleared, but remains as it was so you cant instantly repeat it?

At the end of the day - its the overall nerfing/balanhcing or whatever you call it of the item drops to support the presence of the AH/RMAH that have caused the despration for people to exploit every little thing as quite honestly with everything nearly nerfed into oblivion as it is now there is little alternative choice to progress - except of course buying gold.

Now the D2 underground/blackmarket and in-game trading economy thrived perfectly well without the need to cripple gold and loot. You didnt need to do that here and you wouldnt now be having to nerf everything to death and might perhaps be finding the items on the AH and RMAH to be better and more lucrative for blizzard and not having to deal with a borderline general strike/rebellion or whatever.

The tighter you sweeze some jelly in your hands, the more the leaks out - open you hand and hold the jelly - and it will stay there. Just think about game and not money - for once.
@Lylirra

The problem like some have stated is your design philosophy. You're straight up deciding for us what we think is fun, and not fun. Some people might not enjoy swapping gear and getting phat loot, you might not. But guess what, some people might? You may think people getting loot from weapon racks and pots and chests without fighting enemies might be against the spirit of the game or unfun. But guess what? Maybe that's what some people really enjoy about this game?

The problem here is, you had many ways to obtain loot. Chests/Clouds/bosses/elites/treasuregoblins/potfarming. Was any one way REALLY more efficient or better than another? I don't know, maybe if you're botting while at work then sure potfarming is probably the best but assume we're not botting ok? Why, if I want to break pots for 2 hours am I now told that I can't because it's not fun in your mind? Why can't I have the option to farm however I want? What if I get bored of killing Elites and want to kill Bosses?

Ask these questions to yourself, your team and more. They're very important because you may not realize it yet, but you've took a complete 180 on your original intent in the game design. The whole reason NV stacks exist to begin with, was to deter people from just farming bosses all day like they did in D2. But now, you've replaced it with semi-lame/unpredictable Elites/Champs instead. You've essentially took something you said you didn't like the feel of, and put in it's place something that's almost exactly the same.

You shouldn't be worrying about HOW people want to play their game, or if they're not playing it the way you intended. You should be happy to see players and breaking your expectations. What you SHOULD be doing is working on actually adding content to the game, to give people more to do in time. Your focus I believe is in the wrong area and you may be hurting yourselves way more than you even notice or can imagine.

Would the players complaining about the OP Demon hunters or pot farmers really be outraging as much if you instead gave them some new boss to kill this last patch with special loot on top of the nerfs to the game? Would they be complaining if instead you buffed Barbs or Witch Doctors up to really fun levels like people were enjoying with the Demon Hunter? Would the people who hate your most recent patch be raging constantly all day long if you instead brought something new to the table as well?

Nerfs make people unhappy, maybe not everyone but at least someone. Some nerfs were maybe warranted, such as your first SS and FA/LifeRegen nerfs. They were breaking the game without the need of gear at all. But taking away stats from people that were breaking the game WITH good gear is unwarranted. You forget that's what Diablo is about. That's what ARPGs are about. Inferno doesn't have to be the end-all. You can always add more. Small things. Look at League of Legends, they add a new character to the game every two weeks. Maybe you can focus on trying to get really small content packages out every few weeks balancing skills to bring more viable builds into the game every few weeks instead of worrying about keeping Inferno a nightmare for most people? Who cares if everyone beats it? Are you afraid they're gonna move on? Guess what, a lot of people moved one without even caring about beating it. The ones who are still here probably would like to see more added than more removed. Does any of this make sense to anyone? Please I just ask you to consider my words, from my heart please!

Last word, food for thought: Were the people not using IAS, maybe the people who thought it was OP going to quit the game because of it? How about the people who spent a lot of money or gold on time farming to get that gear and they were finally enjoying the game the way they wanted to, do you think they'll quit now?

(For the record most of the people I describe in this post are actually nothing like me, but I do look out for the vast majority of people on both sides of opinions and I'm personally more interested in seeing most people getting excited and happy over additions to the game than to see people constantly arguing and bickering over constant changes to the game)
Edited by Visko#1470 on 6/20/2012 3:05 PM PDT
It's crazy, game developers.....developing a game world.....and then determining what happens in said world. BLASPHEMOUS.
Blizzard, get the idea of your fun out of your head, and leave the game alone... You are pathetic and you have ruined an awesome franchise... What you changed makes the game extremely unfun for alot of people.
Not fun? There are so many aspects in this game that are not fun and are unavoidable. Magic find gear switching was a player choice if a player ultimately decided it wasn't fun they would stop (I did).

It's amazing how out of touch Blizzard can be on some things, and spot on with others.
I really have a split mind on this.

On the one hand, I will *never* forget when I kicked open a random basket just before fighting Mephisto in D2, only to see a gold amulet fall out. I didn't think anything of it, but I happened to have an ID scroll. It turned out to be a perfect Mara's. That right there a personal memory of mine in a game that I played since the day it came out. I think moments like that stick with players when they absolutely enjoy a game, and I think that's why having destructible items be worthwhile to destroy is good for the game. With boss packs, you expect to eventually (key word here) find something. When you break a random barrel, you're just thinking a little bit of gold--having it be something much better is pretty hard to describe.

Having said that, I did notice that I'm having much better luck finding decent quality items after this change. In the end, the change is helping me personally. I don't know if I'm in the majority, the minority, or what, but it is helping. If it's an "either or" sort of situation, then I have to go with the current way things work. Though, it does kind of make me sad to think the players of D3 aren't going to come close to having as many similar memories as the one I mentioned above. Really, I think that's what needs to be kept in mind here. It's not always about complete balance, or directing people to play one way or another. There will always be bots, but I don't *think* it's worth jeopardizing potential long lasting players, and good feelings for the game by those players, in order to try and curve that--or simply what is perceived as a possible exploit by non-botting players.
Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

I almost want (in place of the existing affixes on items) a "magic dial" that I can switch (in analog fashion with a number of possible settings) between "maximize gold, dont sweat items" and "maximize items, dont sweat gold."

For my own part, I never liked these affixes, even in D2 (used them tons, of course). They DO require too much gear swapping as you suggest. Instead, i think we need a different mechanic - something that lets the player tune his experience and drops. There's a ton of ways this could be implemented.

This might have the side benefits of (a) giving people multiple reasons to farm at different times, and (b) quelling some of the complaints about excessive repair costs bankrupting some players.
We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both).

So what? I play the game how 'i want' to play the game. Don't force me to be something else. If I like smashing barrels let me. If that's what it takes for me to have fun then let it. Also not everyone has a mf set. Not everyone swaps to it right before the boss dies. I have a mf set but I'm also lazy so I forget about it.

Personally fix broken things don't try and change something because that's not what you intended it for. If you're that worried about people who feel they "have to swap to gear before the boss dies" why not just change it so the MF is applied at the beginning of the encounter so it's dangerous cause then you swap to your real gear and you're at 1/6th your health and one hit could potentially be fatal (even though I didn't think anything was wrong with MF to begin with).
I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

You never played d2 before?
Gear swapping is lame.
•Weapon racks will now drop weapons 0% of the time

•Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a 0% chance to drop gold when destroyed

Fixed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

I dont think you or anyone else gets to decide what is fun for someone else. If someone is having fun smashing things then so be it. Let them have their fun. Unless it is an exploit or bug, fix those

Now I never farmed pots or weapon racks and I think that mf not effecting those is a good thing but gf should effect those. And chests should always be effected by mf. Opening a chest is supposed to be fun and exciting. Now it just seems like a waste of time.

Games are supposed to be fun but it seems like every patch is a fun nerf. You guys take to much and give very little back.
Edited by Weez#1396 on 6/20/2012 3:04 PM PDT
We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both).

If you wanted us to do both, why are shiny clicky things useless now?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]