Diablo® III

Blue telling us what is fun. Incredible

I think you're asking why we made the following changes, so that's what I'm going to attempt to answer for you. (If that's not why you made this post, please let me know.)

Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed

Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

We're already working on another developer blog that delves more deeply in to our current philosophy regarding Magic Find gear swapping, why it's our current philosophy, and how we're looking at improving Magic Find in general, so that will probably provide insight on this particular topic. No solid date on that blog yet, but it's definitely coming soon(tm).

Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain

Please note that these monsters still have a chance to drop two Magic items, but that those drops are just no longer guaranteed.

Also, keep in mind the following:
  • Elite packs (Champion/Rare) now drop an additional item for players with 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, which is guaranteed to be of Rare quality

Now, if you have feedback regarding what you think we could better with these mechanics, then please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts in this thread. I'll be reading along and relaying what you have to say.

Seriously, you guys have no idea how to run a business. It's not about what YOU want, customers come first? Jesus christ didn't you learn this in business 101, like one of the FIRST rules? Mind = Blown
I just read this too, I love the "we didn't think this was all that fun" part. Really? I didn't hear anyone complaining about that not being fun. If they told the truth and said "we didn't want people to break barrels for loot and avoid mobs" at least I could respect the honesty, with this it's just them thinking we are all to dumb to realize what they really meant.
90 Human Paladin
bump
85 Tauren Druid
That reply stirred up even more of a frenzy if you ask me, and its looking well deserved from these official responses.
so just remove the breakables. seriously.
hmm i wonder if they forgot you could do this in Diablo 2, and yet it was never touched.... hmm....
what do you expect when a company is run by elitist self absorbed pricks
76 Worgen Hunter
Would be better just to roll back to 1.02 and call it a day.
LOL southpark needs to make an episode of d3 patch 1.0.3... Also Jay Wilson was in the WoW episode of southpark (the fat Jay Wilson look alike with no life killing every character)
85 Undead Mage
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient.

That's just beautiful. Not "We got feedback from players..." or "We have statistics that say...", but "We didn't think this was fun, so we completely overhauled it".

The worst part is that it's such a veiled cover for their real reason - "We didn't anticipate players wearing full MF gear while breaking pots/clouds/chests and it's destroying our plans to have a good RMAH economy and thus dip into the players' wallets continually for the next few years".
06/20/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Prosperro
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient.

That's just beautiful. Not "We got feedback from players..." or "We have statistics that say...", but "We didn't think this was fun, so we completely overhauled it".

The worst part is that it's such a veiled cover for their real reason - "We didn't anticipate players wearing full MF gear while breaking pots/clouds/chests and it's destroying our plans to have a good RMAH economy and thus dip into the players' wallets continually for the next few years".

can i like this 43573487539845x please?
No, not in it's current state. I think the number one issue is we should be allowed to play how we want. I understand nerfs to the obvious OP abilities such at the Force Armor rune or Smoke Screen lasting too long but at the same time if a Barb wants to stack all Defense and be the slowest killer in the universe, be all means let him/her. Get rid of the damn enrage timers on everything. If a DH wants to stack nothing but damage and die in one hit, let them. For the love of God stop trying to control how we play and how fast we progress.

So what if the skilled player who's absolutely great at dodging monster wants to play the DH and murder stuff. So what if the slower player wants to stack Defense and take 10 minutes to kill everything but stay alive. STOP TRYING TO CONTROL HOW WE PLAY.

The game itself is linear enough but now you're trying to put our play styles on rails.

Also, I don't hate the game. I think in certain situations it's extremely enjoyable. I am not the player I used to be. I'm too old and too slow to hop around on a DH avoiding every monster or projectile that comes at me. I'd much rather be a turtle and get on my Barb and slowly push through mobs. The insane amount of time it takes me to kill things should be the drawback for play that particular way, but it isn't. I get higher repair bills due to taking a beating and on top of that, the stupidest mechanic ever, enrage timers. Enrages timers have NO place here. This is NOT an MMO, Blizzard.

As a side note, I still find the Blacksmith absolutely worthless. I understand what he's there for. Can't find an upgrade? Try this. I'd like to turn him more into a gambling mechanic. I think that all crafting materials should be able to be upgrade into a crafting material of a higher tier. So, lets say I have 50 wishful essences, maybe I can combine that into 10 exquisite essences. Bring the gold crafting cost down to something around 10-15k and give us a reason to salvage all the crap we find. The lowered gold cost would make it more appealing and give us a reason to salvage everything and stack it up. This way if the item sucks, we're out of only a hand full of gold and some crap we were going to sell to the vendor anyway.

Originally posted by: Notagirlinrl. Sorry for stealing someone else's post, but it was just too good.
Edited by Zman#1482 on 6/20/2012 3:19 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]