Diablo® III

Demon Hunter Best-in-Slot, UPDATED for 1.0.3

90 Dwarf Hunter
CHANGE LOG -
10 September - No longer updating this thread, moved to GW2! Thanks for all the support!
7 August - Updated credits for max rolls spreadsheet
31 July - Included spreadsheet of max rolls on gear
16 July - Moved Natalya's Mark down a notch
10 July - Expanded the stat priority a bit to further clarify
07 July - Included threads / sources and graphs of 2h XBow vs Bow vs 1h XBow
05 July - Updated and changed position of items in the Wrists section
04 July - Changed a little on description for Ouroboros
01 July - Expanded a little on the weapons section
28 June - Added Bashiok's updated response to Natalya's Set 4pc bonus
24 June - Changed ranking of Beckon Sail, added Depth Diggers and Blackthorne's Scabbard
23 June - Added quote by Bashiok on Natalya's Set changes
22 June - Added Sage's Grasp and Ice Climbers, and bumped Zunimassa's Journey up a few notches, changed stat priority, added The Inquisitor
21 June - Created Thread!

Credits to Ace for his original thread over here, and many suggestions are also taken from the thread, with appropriate tweaks each patch that changes our gearing!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235401029?page=1

Also refer to this thread for how stats scale based on your own stats! All credit goes to nxmehta!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578588038

DPS Calculators!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5794089375

I personally very much like the one by Dretar :)

2h XBow vs Bow vs 1h XBow

I have included graphs for easy reference~

Lots of math and discussion, credits to irecu!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149013044
http://i.imgur.com/hKTAz.png?1

Another thread if you want more info :) Credits to Prunetracy!

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/56426-archery-xbow-vs-bow-vs-hand-xbow/
http://i48.tinypic.com/25s7k7l.jpg

Max stat rolls on gear! Credits to Tierrie on Diablofans.com

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6O4SuqdWxEdGFGaDgzTE95aVJYUkxMVUpoYjY5Mnc#gid=0

As the previous BiS thread has not been updated yet, I decided to create one for my own. Taking all suggestions, changelogs will be at top of post for easy reference! Comments and any feedback is HUGELY beneficial for the DH community! :)

I basically spend all my time on the forums when I'm not in-game (my job allows me to juggle a lot of things, being online in the forums is a side perk ;P )

This will be a thread for highest damage with OK survivability. Will create a list of items for All Res / Vit if enough ask for it (extremely expensive gear hahaha...)!

You can add me if you want for a chat :) Just put something in your note so I know! Samfisher#1748

NOTE!

Increased Attack Speed (IAS) on LEGENDARIES ONLY are currently broken and give no attack speed bonus. Blizzard has stated that it will be fixed in 1.0.4 IAS on rares and blues work as intended. Attack Speed Increased (ASI) works on every item, and Boj Anglers sometimes come with either IAS or ASI, so be careful how the wording is!

1 % Critical Hit Chance -> 1% Attack Speed -> 1% Critical Hit Damage -> 1 Dexterity ->1 +Damage

Helm :
1. Andariel's Visage
2. Mempo of Twilight
3. Natalya's Gaze
4. Appropriate rare

A high Dex roll Andariel's Visage is my top choice as IAS is still a very good stat, just that you can't get that much by stacking anymore. Mempo of Twilight is my second choice as it can roll IAS and Crit Chance, as well as Dex, Vit and All Resist. Best choice for a more rounded DH, but the Dex rolls cannot beat a good Dex roll on an Andy. Natalya's Gaze is a good choice as well, although the least obvious of the Top 3. Seeing that the 4pc Natalya's Set seems to have been buffed to provide 2 Discipline Regen per Sec, this can be the BiS helm if you go for the full Nat's set. If you're on a smaller budget, a rare with 140+ Dex and 4-6% Crit Chance is your best choice!

Shoulders :
1. Seven Sins
2. Appropriate rare

Seven Sins is my top choice for high Dex rolls, Vitality, All res and if you're lucky a beneficial double res stat. Rares can also roll very high Dex (180+) and high Vit as well as % Life and MF. Damage wise, Seven Sins and an appropriate rare would probably yield the same damage. All depends on what secondary stats you are looking for!

Chest :
1. Beckon Sail
2. Tyrael's Might
3. Natalya's Shadow
4. The Inquisitor

Beckon Sail makes the list for a possible Max Disc roll, IAS (nerfed as it is), Dex, and 2-3 sockets and a 1% Crit Chance. Tyrael's Might is the 2nd highest DPS chest you can find in the game for a Demon Hunter. I've seen one with 167 Dex, 3 sockets, Vit and 7% Movement Speed. Pretty hard to beat this for pure damage. Natalya's Shadow is pretty good too (especially after the IAS nerf that pushed Beckon Sail down the pecking order) and if you're looking to get the Nat's set, this chest piece is probably compulsory! It can roll high Dex (120+), Max Discipline and has 3 sockets as standard fare. The Inquisitor makes the list for possible high Dex rolls, Movement Speed, All Resist, Max Discipline and a beneficial DH skill, especially Chakram since Chakram seems to be the new NT!

Wrists :

1. Appropriate rare
2. Lacuni Prowlers
3. Strongarm Bracers

I've seen rares with 140+ Dex and 6% Crit Chance, so they're probably the most damage a DH can gain from this slot. Lacuni Prowlers makes the list for the very important Movement Speed roll. Dex rolls can be awesome or abysmal. A perfectly rolled Lacuni is slightly better than Strongarms, and with the added bonus of 6-7% Movement Speed. Strongarm Bracers are a very good contender too with a high Dex roll (180+) although with a much lower Crit Chance roll.

Gloves :
1. Appropriate rare
2. Immortal King's Forge
3. Sage's Grasp

The ultimate DH gloves would contain 200+ Dex, IAS, Crit Chance and Crit Damage. Immortal King's Forge can also roll high Dex as well as Crit Damage. Sage's Grasp has a rare chance to roll a decent amount of Dex, as well as Crit Chance and Crit Damage.

Waist :
1/ Blackthorne's Scabbard
2. Appropriate rare
3. Hellcat's Waistguard
4. Inna's Blessing

For pure damage, an Blackthorne's Scabbard is the best. High Dex coupled with a decent amount of Vit and All Res. Hellcat's Waistguard can roll Max Discipline and Dex, but it's an extremely rare chance that both roll on the same item. Nevertheless, it's something to look out for. Inna's Blessing is an OK choice if you decide to also use Inna's Glory (Pants). The stats are decent enough with an OK amount of Dex and Vit.

Pants :
1. Depth Diggers
1. Appropriate rare
2. Inna's Glory

Depth Diggers is our highest pure Damage pants, but what gain in damage you lose in survivability. IT rarely rolls Vit along with Dex, but you get 2 sockets if you're lucky. You can find pants with high Dex, as well as 2 sockets for even more dex and a good amount of Vit. Inna's Glory if you want the 2pc set bonus of +130 Dex. Coupled with Inna's Blessing (waist), it is the best combo for pants + waist. You get Movement Speed, IAS, and if you're lucky a medium amount of Dex and Vit on it.

Boots :
1. Zunimassa's Journey
2. Natalya's Soul
3. Appropriate rare
4. Asheara's Lock
5. Boj Anglers
6. Ice Climbers

Zunimassa's Journey can roll a decent amount of Dex (140+) and can also roll Movement Speed, and if you're lucky, some IAS! This boots also gives an extra 5% damage as Poison, which is huge! Natalya's Soul for your set bonuses, some Movement Speed ad if you're lucky, some Dex on it too. Individually it's not the best Boots you can buy, but together with the rest of the Nat's set, the lower DPS on this piece will make up for the set bonuses! Appropriate rares can roll a high amount of Dex, Vit AND Movement Speed, making them individually the highest damage boots in the game. Asheara's Lock is above Boj Anglers because Asheara's Lock regularly rolls higher Dex than on Boj, and both can roll IAS and Movement Speed. Ice Climbers are also a decent choice as they can roll high Dex as well as Movement Speed. haven't seen one with all that + IAS though. Depending on what you currently need, choose wisely, and almost always choose something with Movement Speed!

Amulet :
1. Ouroboros
2. Appropriate rare
3. The Flavor of Time

Ouroboros can roll high Dex (180++), some raw damage, Crit Chance and if you're very lucky, or very very rich, Crit Damage. There's also a chance that it will roll IAS. Very good rares can also roll Dex, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, IAS AND a socket. If your pockets are deep enough, you can actually find a rare that is better than the Ouroboros. The Flavor of Time is a good choice too if you're looking for some IAS and Movement Speed.

Rings :
1. Skull Grasp
2. Appropriate rare
3. Natalya's Mark
4. Eternal Union
5. Appropriate Rare

Skull Grasp gives you some decent raw damage, high Dex, Crit Chance and 3-4% Damage to Elites. Natalya's Mark is an excellent choice if you can afford one with a high Dex roll, IAS, Crit Damage/Crit Chance, and will also complete your Nat's Set. This is probably the one item that I recommend to all DH's to get, cos personally, it's our BiS ring by a decent margin IF it has either Crit Damage or Crit Chance. Eternal Union has a very rare chance of rolling high Dex and IAS. Depending on what stats you are trying to stack, your best choice might be an appropriate rare. A very good rare will have high Dex, Crit Damage, Crit Chance and IAS. Whether you can afford one is a different story xD

Weapons :
1. Appropriate 2h Bow/ 2h Xbow, 2 1h Xbow

Depending on what you like really. Use the many spreadsheets available to see which gives you the most dps increase. Personally, I currently favor the bow for it's faster attack speed and better animation, as well as the 15% damage buff from Archery. 2h XBows crit for a truck, and gets a 50% Crit Damage bonus from Archery but they're slow as all hell. 2 1h Xbows on the other hand are the fastest, but also hit for the least per shot but has the attack speed to compensate for it. Suggestions say that 2 perfectly rolled 1h's are the highest damage in the game, just that nobody has actually proven it yet. The math is there but actually doing it in-game has not been achieved so far AFAIK.

2h XBows have the smallest damage range and thus their damage is much more consistent than Bows and 1h Xbows. Bows on the other hand have the widest damage range, and the minimum damage on Bows are regularly only HALF of an equivalent 2h Xbow. This means you can hit for 10k, and then the next shot hits for 30k and then a crit that does 20k and then a crit that does 200k... 1h Xbows are somewhere in the middle, but the damage range is also quite high, just not as high as Bows.

Ranged weaps can roll up to 4 different stats if I am not mistaken. A perfect roll would have Dex, Vit, Crit Damage and a Socket + high weapon damage. I've seen Dex rolled near 300. Vit rolls should be somewhere in that vicinity, and Crit Damage probably tops out at 100% (I've seen 92%, but max CD roll could be wrong).

2h Xbows have a base weapon speed of 1.1 aps, Bows at 1.4 aps and 1h Xbows at 1.6 aps.

This is the biggest damage upgrade you can give yourself at any point of time. All your skills are a percentage of your weapon damage, and modified by your other stats.

Quiver :
1. Dead Man's Legacy
2. Black Bone Arrows
3. Appropriate rare

Dead Man's Legacy is the best quiver that a DH can get. Chance to roll 20% IAS, Max Disc, Crit Chance, Dexterity, Hatred Regen and added damage for Elemental Arrow or Hungering Arrow make for the best quiver in the game. Black Bone Arrows are crafted and can roll Dex, Disc, Crit Chance and Damage to Elites but caps out at 17% IAS. Crit Chance >=7% along with Damage to Elites are confirmed rolls on BBA.

Forever a Hunter,

Samfisher
Edited by Samfisher#1748 on 9/9/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Reserved!
Reply Quote
Great post... was waiting for this :)

One thing that would be good to point out... and I'm sure that many players have the same question is which order of items should you focus on getting.

Should I save up several mils to buy a decent bow/xbow or should I buy armor pieces and only after save up for a mighty weapon?
Edited by GusBR#2672 on 6/20/2012 10:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thanks a lot for the new updated guide requested for a sticky :)
Reply Quote

One thing that would be good to point out... and I'm sure that many players have the same question is which order of items should you focus on getting.

Should I save up several mils to buy a decent bow/xbow or should I buy armor pieces and only after save up for a mighty weapon?

Depends how far you are into the game. There is a point where you will realize that upgrades start to cost a hefty amount, and at that point it just comes to upgrading the pieces are give you the least damage..or whatever. Early on though its always best to get a good solid wep since there are plenty in stock, and they generally give the highest dps increase.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

I would save for a good weapon first, that's where you start seeing your damage really increase. I use a spreadsheet to calculate exactly how much damage each item is going to give me over what I am currently wearing, and then look at the price and decide whether it is worth the upgrade and if not, I try to look for upgrades on other slots :)
Reply Quote
great post.... for my curiosity, what's the gold require to buy all these top items? if going for rare items, is $6M enough to cover all the recommendation, thanks?
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 11:25 PMPosted by SLJ
great post.... for my curiosity, what's the gold require to buy all these top items? if going for rare items, is $6M enough to cover all the recommendation, thanks?

All the nice items have moved to RMAH simply due to greed. The AH supply has diminished, which means the prices have gone up. Lack of supply = price goes up.

Take the "appropriate rare" for gloves - 200 DEX, some AS, some Crit Damage, some Crit Chance. This is well over 30 mill gold. On the RMAH, this will be worth $80 (I sold one). This is just the glove. The other stuff costs just as much.

If you want the "top gear" for DH using in game gold, you will need well over 50 mill.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
06/20/2012 11:25 PMPosted by SLJ

6m is actually a small amount to buy the best of the best. However, 6m CAN get you something close. For example, the gloves I just bought cost 6m. 209 Dex, 29% Crit Damage, 8.5% Crit Chance. Pricey...but it was quite a decent upgrade in damage for me. Well that's because I had no gloves at all hahahaha. A 220 Dex 15% IAS gloves dropped for me a couple of days before 1.0.3, and I managed to sell it for about 1.5m to fund for a new upgrade xD

If you want decent gear that do not cost a bomb, but are a little ways from being the best, they don't cost TOO much, and 6m can probably buy you some upgrades. Really depends on what you already have on :)
Edited by Samfisher#1748 on 6/20/2012 11:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hey sam i'm looking to upgrade my dh gear but i'm not sure where to spend my gold most efficiently. I've got about 10m gold and a couple hundred $ from rmah, but I don't necessarily plan on using this given the current market prices. My current gear:

helm: 40 dex andy's, 6% ias
shoulders: 135 dex w/vit
chest: 200 dex w/vit
gloves: 140 dex, 6 ias, 8% crit
bracers: 80 dex, 4.5% crit (but also has 70 vit 70 resists and armor)
belt: 160 dex w/vit
pants: 180 dex w/vit
boots: 170 dex w/vit, ms
ring1: 3% crit, 25% crit dmg
ring2: 50 dex, 5 ias, 3.5% crit
ammy: 190 dex, 44% crit dmg
xbow: 1130 dps
quiver: 100 dex, 12 ias, 5.5% crit (but also has disc and mf)

dps: 48k
hp: 20k
resists ~200, armor 3k

I've been trying to buy a better weapon the past few days for around 10m but I only get about 4k damage boost according to my calculations, assuming a 1270 xbow. I'm also thinking of gearing for defensive stats, but i'm not sure if it'll make a difference since i mostly do ponies and i only die from mortar (reflect is annoying but i can usually deal with them w/out dying by switching gear and kiting). My goal is to run ponies faster, which may imply dying less I suppose but i'm currently averaging <20k repair cost per run so it's not too terrible. I really appreciate the help =)
Edited by Barndoor#1539 on 6/21/2012 1:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I'm pretty sure your Andy has 3% crit chance also, unless you have a really weird Andy @_@ Shoulders could do with an upgrade though. Gloves too for more damage. As in my previous post, a 200 Dex with Crit Dmg and Crit % costs about 4-6m if you can find them. Ring 2 is a little week, as Crit Damage would probably do a bit more damage than 5% IAS. I wouldn't really bother with IAS too much at this point unless I can get all my pieces with IAS at the same time. 5% here and there, piece by piece upgrade, you won't really feel the difference. Ammy is decent too. Is your xbow socketed? Crit damage can add A LOT of damage if you have a decent amount of Crit %.

I myself just bought a 1040 bow with a socket and threw a 80% Crit Damage gem in. Sitting on 43% Crit Chance and 232% Crit Damage. Looking for a bit more Crit Damage, then gonna get some IAS :)

I'm not the greatest of DH, just someone wanting to help the community so if anyone has any different views, post it! :D
Edited by Samfisher#1748 on 6/21/2012 1:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What about sage's gloves? They can have about 60-80 dex, % crit and crit damage
Reply Quote
Ice Climbers legendary boots are not too bad if you can get high rolls.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/ice-climbers

Found one with 159 dex, 59 all resist, and 12% movement speed.
Reply Quote
Great post. I never even knew there were chests with move speed and waists with max disc.
Reply Quote
Hey. Fantastic guide, I'm gonna use this to look out for some items.

Is there a good Quiver that gives Max Discipline? I need 40-50 Discipline on my guy at all times, and I can't afford the chestpiece at the moment. I can trade a small percentage of damage for Disc, which I think is the most important survival stat.
Reply Quote
What is your opinion on a perfectly rolled nat set (not including bow)? By this of course i mean 120 dex boots, chest with 120, 3 slots and crit chance or max disc, helm with 120 and whatever stuff is supposed to be there, and ring with the word uber engraved in the tongues of Mordor
Reply Quote
Credits to Ace for his original thread over here, and many suggestions are also taken from the thread, with appropriate tweaks each patch that changes our gearing!

Weapons :
1. Appropriate 2h Bow/ 2h Xbow, 2 1h Xbow

Depending on what you like really. Use the many spreadsheets available to see which gives you the most dps increase.

Yep, Ace helped steer us all in the right direction. Good idea in the mean time until it is updated or taking the initiative to take over though. Also, here is a link to most of the DPS calcs that help to determine if the piece of gear is an actual upgrade or not.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5794089375?page=1#0
Reply Quote
@ Thread-Creator: Zunimassa's Journey also have 5% IAS on them and a 5-6% dmg boost to Poison dmg, which can be a big boost! (assuming your using a Weapon with poison dmg!)

Thus making them the best in slot boots available atm..

BTW: Want to trade my ANDY 178 DEX,6% IAS, 3% crit -vs.- Natalya with high Dex and crit hit!

w/ me ShanGriLa#2995 (EU Server)
Reply Quote
Hey. Fantastic guide, I'm gonna use this to look out for some items.

Is there a good Quiver that gives Max Discipline? I need 40-50 Discipline on my guy at all times, and I can't afford the chestpiece at the moment. I can trade a small percentage of damage for Disc, which I think is the most important survival stat.

deadmans with max discipline,dex,socket, and 20% IA if you can afford.

if not there are plenty 15% IAS max disc rares with decent stats to be had in AH for dirt cheap unless they are perfect/near perfect.

Also guys pick up your high dex Andy's fast within the next week or 2. I noticed prices have drastically dropped on even good ones with 120+ dex,3% crit, 6%IAS.

Many players/sellers trying to sell Andys for $100's on RMAH are unloading in Gold AH for dirt cheap. comparable DPS rares are going for 10 mil, where as you can currently pick up a 125 Dex, 6%IAS, andy for around 5 mil, which is a great deal considering an equivalent rare would need something in the ballpark of 200ish dex to compare with a 120 dex/6% IAS andys.
Reply Quote
06/21/2012 07:25 AMPosted by Zander
What is your opinion on a perfectly rolled nat set (not including bow)? By this of course i mean 120 dex boots, chest with 120, 3 slots and crit chance or max disc, helm with 120 and whatever stuff is supposed to be there, and ring with the word uber engraved in the tongues of Mordor

that of course would be perfect with current 4piece bonus.

99.999999% of players will never get close to that, even the good ones. But a good handful will have near perfect Nat's which is dang near invincible!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]