Diablo® III

[FIX] Data required could not be found...

100 Undead Warrior
If you're receiving the "Data required to install this game could not be found", here's how I managed to fix it, and it should also work for some other patching issues.

(If you're not very computer savvy and are not comfortable with editing the registry, down below is a script you can use to automate steps 1 and 2.)

1) Open "Regedit" (Hit Windows Key + R -> type "regedit" and hit enter) and delete these keys:
"\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net",
"\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\D3",
"\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Launcher",
"\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo III Launcher"

2) Delete this folder: "C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\"

3) You'll need to Re-downloaded the client installer from the battle.net account page by going to battle.net -> Account -> Summary -> Click "Diablo III" under "Your Game Accounts" -> On that next page, click "Download Game Client". -> Input your birthdate and download the" Full Game Client". It should be something like "Diablo-III-setup-enUS.exe", (last bit varies by region)

4) Run the installer you downloaded, at the top you'll see the installation path, if that path is not already your Diablo 3 installation path (Typically in "C:\Program Files\Diablo III\"), then click "Browse" and aim it at the directory that contains the Diablo III folder, the installer will append "\Diablo III\" to the path automatically.

Let the installer complete, it's not going to re-download the game entirely, just the bits for the latest patch, and it will restore all necessary files and registry entries. After which your game should be working again.

I was able to launch and play after the patching bug, and luckily I didn't catch the "Starter Edition" bug like a bunch of other digital copy holders did. So, yay! Goodluck, hope this fixes it for you guys too. If it worked for you, leave a comment, request a sticky, help spread the fix to all the other unfortunate patchers!

BATCH SCRIPT:
(Copy the below script and paste into notepad, then go to File -> Save As -> set the "Save as type" to "All Files" -> Then save the file as "fixd3.bat". After that, find the file and Right Click -> Run as Administrator)

@echo off
echo Removing the Registry keys...
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\3" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Launcher" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo III Launcher" /f
echo ...Done!
echo Removing the Battle.net folder...
rd /q "%programdata%\Battle.net"
echo ...Done!
echo Now run the Diablo 3 installer to install into the same directory the game is already installed under.
Edited by Terminal#1761 on 6/20/2012 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
Added a batch file people can use to do the dirty work for them.
Reply Quote
I did steps 1 and 2 and now the launcher froozer at step 3
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
06/19/2012 06:17 PMPosted by PhatEskimo
I did steps 1 and 2 and now the launcher froozer at step 3

Did you run the installer from the battle.net website? Not the launcher. The game client installer from your battle.net account page.
Reply Quote
This worked for me.

In registry, I went a directory deeper and only deleted battle.net and diablo III related folders, so to not screw up my starcraft II installation.

Re-downloaded the client installer (TMI, filename is different than the original), installed in a minute.

Blizzard made me reset my password afterwards.

Verified I can login and see my characters, and verified I could log into battle.net through SC2 as well.
Reply Quote
I had this problem and used this fix, it worked perfectly as long as you follow the instructions.

Thanks Gothian, nice work. :)
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
This worked for me.

In registry, I went a directory deeper and only deleted battle.net and diablo III related folders, so to not screw up my starcraft II installation....

I changed the guide a bit, since I didn't take into account Starcraft II installations, now this shouldn't affect them.
Reply Quote
Two thumbs way up! Used the batch file, downloaded the client, game runs great after a brief update.

Thumbs down to blizzard for such poor patching, and us having to fix these problems ourselves.
Reply Quote
Great mate! I just did step 1 and 2, on step 1 i deleted all of the "\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment" folder as it only had 1 file inside.
Also deleted the folder, ran the Diablo 3.exe, it asked me to update, everything went great from there...Worked like a charm!
Reply Quote
yeah it worked fine, thanks a bunch man
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
06/19/2012 08:48 PMPosted by PhatEskimo
yeah it worked fine, thanks a bunch man

Glad it worked for you!
Reply Quote
In what folder can I find these keys?
Reply Quote
I get multiple keys showing up, delete all?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
06/19/2012 09:42 PMPosted by Supson
I get multiple keys showing up, delete all?

The ones I listed in the guide :) You could delete the whole Blizzard Entertainment key, if you don't have Starcraft II installed.
Edited by Terminal#1761 on 6/19/2012 10:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I do not understand step 1.. so i have to reinstall the game again as the error shows? or any place for me to repatch the whole thing?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
06/20/2012 01:14 AMPosted by ivr
I do not understand step 1.. so i have to reinstall the game again as the error shows? or any place for me to repatch the whole thing?

Do the batch file bit, that will cover steps 1 and 2, it will delete the registry keys for you, if you're not familiar with editing the registry.

Then follow step 3 with the game installer found on the website, and it -should- work for you.
Reply Quote
where can i find the registry keys?
Reply Quote
I have no idea how to do it. fml hha
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
06/20/2012 02:31 AMPosted by JohnnyBoy
where can i find the registry keys?

06/20/2012 06:36 AMPosted by Galactica
I have no idea how to do it. fml hha

Both of you, look down at the bottom of my original post, there's a batch script. Copy and paste that into notepad, save it as a fixd3.bat (make sure to set the save as type to "All Files")

Then right click it and run as administrator. That will do the registry editing, and delete the folder for you. Then after that, all you need to do is re-download the game installer from your account page (It's hidden under the age check on the download game client page).

Run the installer again, at the top you'll see the installation path, if that path is not already your Diablo 3 installation path (Typically in "C:\Program Files\Diablo III\"), then click "Browse" and aim it at the directory that contains the Diablo III folder, the installer will append "\Diablo III\" to the path automatically.

Let the installer complete, it's not going to re-download the game entirely, just the bits for the latest patch, and it will restore all necessary files and registry entries. After which your game should be working again.
Reply Quote
When ever i run the .bat file it just flashes something then closes.... from what i saw i think it said "error: invalid key name"... i tried remaking it several times to see if maybe i copy and pasted wrong, but same thing still

I am gonna go ahead and do it manually, just thought id let you know
Edited by Guitello321#1770 on 6/20/2012 11:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]