Diablo® III

AUS/NZ Forget about 1.0.3, the problem is....

Latency!

This patch doesn't bother me as much as the latency does. Upping the repair cost of our equipment while playing on a spiking 300MS connection is a kick in the teeth but thats the only thing in the recent patch that I have a problem with.

AUS/NZ players are forced to play the GAH/RMAH in search of better gear to compensate for the latency because we can not utilize skills such as dodging and positioning.

So lets not forget the real issue!
Reply Quote
bump.
Reply Quote
That's not blizzards problem, quite a few of us including me have no lag issue what so ever. Mine runs smooth as a server hosted in New Zealand.
Upgrade time is it?
Reply Quote
bump..
Reply Quote
ADSL2 24mb* Hobart
Reply Quote
fail troll
Reply Quote
That's not blizzards problem, quite a few of us including me have no lag issue what so ever. Mine runs smooth as a server hosted in New Zealand.
Upgrade time is it?

What's your latency bro'sef?
Upgrade what doo'fes?

I for one, don't lag that bad I'm on 200-300 which is perfectly playable IMO but when it spikes and holy shiz does it spike, It's hard to pop off your skills in time when a giant hammer is about to smash my poor monks face in when there's mad-lag. But yes that can't be helped the servers are on the other side of the world blah blah blah.

What I think is the 'PROBLEM' now is the cost to repair, now add that with latency and it's bankruptcy !@#$%^ gg no re snap disk happy me.
Reply Quote
My* ms is anywhere from 80-120~, always runs smooth.
Edited by Blitz#1368 on 6/20/2012 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Blitz

Well that's the lowest ping posted I've seen from anyone is AUS, assuming you are from AUS.
Where you from?
Who's your provider?
What modem are you using?
Reply Quote
From New Zealand :)
Telstra Clear
Fibreoptic
Reply Quote
System spec from Blz is

"Broadband Internet Connection"

Therefore, if you have this, (excessive) latency and spiking shouldn't be an issue?

So what's the problem? And where does the solution lie?
Reply Quote
Maybe my post might help you out with your issues? Worth a shot.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5890099365?page=1
Reply Quote
I was under the impression that Blizzard had "Fixed rubberbanding" with this patch as alluded to in the patch notes.

While my latency has never been better than about 280, it's certainly seen its fair share of the other side of 1k, but it usually stabilised quite well.

Until this patch.

Now it starts off choppy, stays choppy, and I am rubberbanding all over the place. Last night the game stopped for all 4 of us playing, it did however let us carry on running around into unloaded areas of the game so we could stare of into the misty beige abyss of unloading.
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Blitz

This guy is either 'embellishing the truth', or simply trolling. There is no way to get a ping in that range from New Zealand to the servers on the US West Coast, unless of course you've found some way to communicate faster than the speed of light in fibre.

Absolute minimum latencies for just plain ICMP traffic (i.e. ping) is approx 150 ms from NZ (more if on the South Island), or 170ish from eastern Australia. TCP traffic with larger packet sizes will be a little slower. And in-game ping slower still, as it also takes into account the time it takes the server to process the packet (CPU load or queue time). Realistically the lowest in-game ping you're ever going to see is 180ish from eastern Australia and maybe 160ish from NZ. And that's only during US non-peak periods when the server's not loaded too heavily (which conveniently is during our peak time down here in NZ/AU.

If you want proof, go to any network looking glass site located on the US west coast (I use my ISPs one at http://looking-glass.internode.on.net/lg.cgi but there are plenty out there) and use it to ping www.telstraclear.co.nz (this performs a ping from the remote site, to the IP you specify, allowing you to find latency between those two other points rather than between YOU and the point). And then, realise that those figures are for a core network router pinging a core part of another network, and there'd be additional latency for actual consumer-grade connections on either end (e.g. for ADSL1/2/2+, interleaving adds 10-20ms at least).

Anyway, the overall point is that, provided your ISP is up to scratch you should be able to at least get 170 from NZ and 190-200 from eastern AU. That's what I get, and I don't get spikes (its worth paying for a good quality ISP). Which is perfectly PLAYABLE - noone is arguing that - but at the higher difficulty levels it does put us at a disadvantage because we cannot dodge projectiles (mortars, arrows, those damn wasps in Act II) anywhere near as well as someone in the US playing with 30 latency. And there's no amount of "upgrading our equipment" that will help - it's a simple matter of physics and our distance from America.
Reply Quote
I will even post a photo of my ms if you really want me to, it also depends where your house in located and how many other houses the internet lines feeding.
Edited by Blitz#1368 on 6/20/2012 9:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]