Diablo® III

Repair Costs - The bull in the china shop

Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs -- the very reason why my friends no longer are logging in to play? It's time for some damage control, and that is accurate friendly advice from a friendly player. Dropping the ball on this issue and not addressing it quickly could have long lasting large impact on the game's population.
The bull in the china shop that everyone is talking about except blizzard
58 Tauren Death Knight
Mythbusters debunked the whole bull in the china shop thing.

But I really think you got your metaphors messed up.

It's the "Elephant in the room." I think is what you were looking for.
WD here, and when I drop AOEs (such as Acid Cloud / with Acid Rain), I get a way higher repair bill for unintentionally breaking environmental elements. This is especially bad with the latest patch (as far as cost). It's almost 100G per vase / barrel/ or whatever break which is 1000G per ten, 10,000G per 100 and so on and so on. So, zombie bears is broke, ias for poison dart is broke, and I can't use AOEs now for fear of exponential repair bills from not even taking hits or dieing. Can you atleast turn off damage for AOE spells so I don't get repair bills for vases and pots or whatever that I am not even intentionally trying to break.
That is exactly my point. Very worried about the bunker style approach to handling this.
Needs acknowledgment and needs addressed, but mostly needs it quickly.

06/20/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Zero
The bull in the china shop that everyone is talking about except blizzard
It's a bull in the china shop only because apparently a large population of people are not quite acclimated to a very simple game design. I had someone try to explain to me that it was blizzards fault, because he wanted to be gung-ho and attempt content he had no buisness being in, yet it was blizzards fault his repair cost's have skyrocketed. If this logic is something that you wish to defend, i feel very sorry for the future of america, as well as this game.
90 Undead Rogue
Blizz knows they seriously messed up and have no clue how to fix it without looking like tools
I think your right. The bull is now an elephant.

Mythbusters debunked the whole bull in the china shop thing.

But I really think you got your metaphors messed up.

It's the "Elephant in the room." I think is what you were looking for.
Edited by Hurricane#1550 on 6/20/2012 4:32 PM PDT
06/20/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Ologhai
Blizz knows they seriously messed up and have no clue how to fix it without looking like tools

It is known!
The community needs an acknowledgment right now, not a fix. There is a difference.
That is the job of the community administrators.

Not really, but nice try!
@Urbanevil, my issue is not even caused by playing on levels that are too high. My issue happens only because of the fact my gear is level 53 or above. Your supposed logic does not even apply to my issue, so yes, it is Blizzarrds fault that my repairs have skyrocketed. I would take the extra costs for hits or deaths, but this isn't the case.
Edited by AGodAmongMen#1365 on 6/20/2012 4:33 PM PDT
90 Goblin Rogue
I've pretty much stopped playing any Blizzard game except SC2 for now. WoW is dead and boring for me, D3 was fairly wrecked in 1.0.3 and I really am not interested in it anymore, heres hoping HotS and Titan are decent!

Yes I believe repair costs are too overpriced right now and they are definitely one of the reasons I have stopped playing. To all the people just saying "L2P" well sorry but gold farming simply for repairs is stupid, to buy legendaries off the AH it makes sense, I don't see how this is a skill issue? (I have a mill in the bank so actually paying the cost of repairs isn't an issue, but if I had to level my first toon with the insane cost right now I'd have nothing...)
This is excellent information. My point is we could have a useful thread to discuss this if someone would acknowledge the problem and frustrations.

06/20/2012 04:28 PMPosted by AGodAmongMen
WD here, and when I drop AOEs (such as Acid Cloud / with Acid Rain), I get a way higher repair bill for unintentionally breaking environmental elements. This is especially bad with the latest patch (as far as cost). It's almost 100G per vase / barrel/ or whatever break which is 1000G per ten, 10,000G per 100 and so on and so on. So, zombie bears is broke, ias for poison dart is broke, and I can't use AOEs now for fear of exponential repair bills from not even taking hits or dieing. Can you atleast turn off damage for AOE spells so I don't get repair bills for vases and pots or whatever that I am not even intentionally trying to break.
Edited by Hurricane#1550 on 6/20/2012 4:35 PM PDT
To nerf progression was point. Extend the life of game. Play the same levels longer to get better gear so you won't die on the next level, even if you made it to the next on your own. Instead of nefing individual classes they nerf all in one swoop. smart on their part.
I have to say that the repair costs are a little steep. I was forced to engage around 20 normals to complete an objective. Before doing this I repaired for around 900 gold. After the engagement I repaired again for another 840 gold. Is this somehow related to the debt crises going on in Europe or something? This is full retard.
Edited by ShiftZ#1314 on 6/20/2012 4:36 PM PDT
90 Undead Rogue
06/20/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Urbanevil
It's a bull in the china shop only because apparently a large population of people are not quite acclimated to a very simple game design. I had someone try to explain to me that it was blizzards fault, because he wanted to be gung-ho and attempt content he had no buisness being in, yet it was blizzards fault his repair cost's have skyrocketed. If this logic is something that you wish to defend, i feel very sorry for the future of america, as well as this game.

The repair cost increase was to combat death zerging, but the problem is that it now interferes with general play in a negative manner. This is due to the simultaneous nerf to MF, object drops, gold drops, and mob drops.

The death zerging problem could have been addressed in a number of ways:

1. Increase durability loss via death but allow normal wear and tear to remain as it was. This punishes dying, but encourages ppl to actually play the game and not rely on the gah/rmah or other gold farming techniques

2. Have the mob packs reset upon death making zerging impossible. This solves the problem handily. Was it too complicated for blizz to figure out?

3. They could have had a limited number of deaths per zone/check point forcing a reset following several simultaneous deaths. Honestly, I wouldn't like this, but hey I'm just throwing out ideas here.

If they wanted more gold sinks there are also several more enticing ways to go about it.
Edited by Olo#1523 on 6/20/2012 4:39 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]