Diablo® III

Repair Costs - The bull in the china shop

06/20/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Ologhai

Oh... I guess me.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.

Well, at least you are looking into wear and tear, but I'll repost this for your connivance...

The repair cost increase was to combat death zerging, but the problem is that it now interferes with general play in a negative manner. This is due to the simultaneous nerf to MF, object drops, gold drops, and mob drops.

The death zerging problem could have been addressed in a number of ways:

1. Increase durability loss via death but allow normal wear and tear to remain as it was. This punishes dying, but encourages ppl to actually play the game and not rely on the gah/rmah or other gold farming techniques

2. Have the mob packs reset upon death making zerging impossible. This solves the problem handily. Was it too complicated for blizz to figure out?

3. They could have had a limited number of deaths per zone/check point forcing a reset following several simultaneous deaths. Honestly, I wouldn't like this, but hey I'm just throwing out ideas here.

If they wanted more gold sinks there are also several more enticing ways to go about it.

Problem is, at current, unless you get right back to the boss, they do reset on death. Just a handy FYI if it hasn't been mentioned.
06/20/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Tyoj
You guys are such jackasses, if we wanted to be penalized for dying, we would be playing hardcore.

Uhmm that game everyone seems to be touting as Diablo perfection, D2. They penalized dying in soft core... way more harshly than D3 does... or did you all forget that?

Remember having gold dropped on the ground for anyone to be picked up? loosing massive amounts of experience?

I know I sure do, and I hated loosing hours, and even days worth of experience because I died on accident. Now you all cry cuz its not virtually free to repair your gear and that literally the only hero based downside to dying... sheesh, Im starting to think you guys will never be happy until Blizzard makes it so your computer shoots out dollar bills every time you kill a champ pack.
06/20/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Bashiok
Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.

Since the WoW dev team wants so hard to turn this into a WoW spinoff, could the Demon Hunter get a new skill that drops a repair bot?
View profile
No one is going to like additional repair costs.
So you did something that NO ONE IS GOING TO LIKE to prevent use of practices that SOME players used.
Great job, Blizzard. You made game much more enjoyable for everyone.
Ever thought of something that would punish players for dying without making them broke just by playing for a day or two?
I don't enjoy skipping packs that i think might kill me once or twice. I converted from HC last week, when nightly server-wide lag spikes were destroying our community, and the most appealing thing about SC was the fact that if i saw a champ pack with a nasty combination of affixes, i could take a shot at killing it. Now i'm falling back into the HC mindset of, "uhoh, jailer/mortar/fast/frozen, forget it." Not fun.
06/20/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Drothvader

That's really the only concern I had.

If your WoW character is any indication of how bad you are at gaming then maybe you might not be a good spokesperson for most forum goers.
Blizzard Employee
So your logic is.

You don't like it?, Who cares.

deal with it.

lovely

No, our logic is we have logic as to why we make changes, and we'd be happy to have a conversation on them if you'd like.
Wait, what?

So it was a change that was brought in that you knew noone would like but...you brought it in anyway?

Huh?

I don't understand how in entertainment media that makes any sense.

Throwing yourself against a pack or a boss until its dead should not be a strategy and something you should be rewarded for.
However that being said, being an old time Diablo player i do have to admit that the random magic generator is broken and something that needs to be worked on for this game to succeed. In D1 and D2 it was possible to finish the difficulty levels with found content. With D3 the items i have found for the most part are no better then what you can get from the merchants and find that i am 100% having to rely on the gold Ah. This needs to be worked on
Penalize death all you want, but for the love of God fix the wear and tear here. I can't progress because even without death I can't earn any more gold. I'm losing it.
90 Night Elf Priest
No one is going to like additional repair costs.

Now I'm not a fancy big city lawyer, but it seems to me that changes that NOBODY likes, shouldn't happen.

Also, thanks for the blue response!
Edited by Rockfish#1612 on 6/20/2012 5:35 PM PDT
Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

Wear and tear repair costs are indeed far too high and I believe most would agree paying a stiff penalty for dying is not the issue. I hope this gets hot fixed soon! Thanks for jumping into this steaming pile Bashiok!!! It is a lil comforting that Bliz is aware of this since any Bliz Dev playing A2 and above in Inferno can see how crazy the repair bills are from durability loss while NOT dying.
Edited by Braddox#1988 on 6/20/2012 5:22 PM PDT
y dont if ur gona do what u say then dont allow fightin monsters to lose durability only when u die would make more since
No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs."

So I have been following posts here on Blizzards forums and on Reddit and the general consensus and feel is that of utter disappointment and even anger. Are you really going to rationalize this decision with your original premise without this type of consideration?

It's interesting to see how in this day and age where information is so readily available (and obvious) developers (like politicians) can be so disconnected to their "constituents". Please heed the warning signs...
Edited by nuttyp#1551 on 6/20/2012 5:19 PM PDT
90 Tauren Paladin
So your logic is.

You don't like it?, Who cares.

deal with it.

lovely

No, our logic is we have logic as to why we make changes, and we'd be happy to have a conversation on them if you'd like.

Okay, I would like to understand this then.

Why do you not want me corpse running. I was having fun doing it.
06/20/2012 04:47 PMPosted by MintyFresh
You have to repair regardless if you die or not.
90 Troll Priest
IS THE REASON YALL RAISED REPAIR COST ON ITEMS IS BECAUSE YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO OPEN THE REAL MONEY GOLD SALE SECTION OF THE AUCTION HOUSE.... BRILLIANT
Posting to say that repair costs are way, way worse than before, but not a gamebreaker. But then again I'm not messing around in acts that I'm undergeared for, so...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]