Diablo® III

Repair Costs - The bull in the china shop

Oh... I guess me.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.

Yet another reason I'm never going to play another Blizzard game ever.

Is there any other way to say "We don't care what you think"?

There it is^^^

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.

Just strike out the 'maybe' and I congratulate your devs / QA people for some common sense. Paying 160 gold to break one barrel is not D3-worthy.
That's better. You REALLY need to reduce the costs for just fighting without dying. Smashing a barrel for 80 gold? That's just too much.

06/20/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Bashiok
Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

In other words, use the RMAH for gold!
06/20/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Prosercunus
No one is going to like additional repair costs.

Why put it in then?

Because death needs to be something that wants to be avoided, and this was the clearest and easiest to understand way of saying "hey, you, stop dying."

Other solutions people have suggested are simply unseeable. A new player will eventually see "oh, hey, I have to repair my gear now and then." But, a new player won't understand why an enemy that they recently cut down to 10% health is instantly back at 100% after they died. For Bosses, it's obvious that they heal again because you go through the check point and the rigamarole again to fight the boss. Plus, they're -bosses-.

But, enemies out in the field just healing up for no discernible reason other than a function that is not simple to convey to the player other than through a big fat tutorial block that many players may NEVER SEE until at least Nightmare is just not intuitive in the slightest.

People seem to think everyone goes online and looks at every single bloody function of every enemy in every game. They don't. If a function is not clear, such as the suggested "you die, they heal" idea, then a lot of players would be outright confused.

Oh... I guess me.

Could the mobs drop higher amounts of gold, it's a bit low right now.

It is known!

shut up Khaleesi ;)

Does this seem like a very snide and brash attempt at a response to anybody else? It pretty much says "Don't die"! Big thanks there!
So say I die every hour, That's still a ton I have to pay. If you want to do it a better way instead of just implementing the first stupid idea that pops into your tiny little heads, try something like this.

Repair Costs Go back to what they were.
General Wear and Tear of battle goes down.

Increase the respawn timer.
If you die twice in one minute(From the time you revived) then the second time take a 20% durability lose, and so on. So if you are dying fast you have to repair more often costing you more and making it less worth it.

That would solve the problem right there. You cant zerg run or whatever you call it if the 3rd time you revive all your gear is broken.

Thoughts Mr.Blue - Just wondering cause you seem to be such a professional at all this.

Oh... I guess me.

Did u guys even test it? Kick a Jug = 100g? /laugh

I guess this is another "doubling"

Oh... I guess me.

If I wanted death to mean something I would play Hardcore but I can't because the servers suck. Go figure dude.

You guys are such jackasses, if we wanted to be penalized for dying, we would be playing hardcore.

+1

Unfortunately the game is not to be played how the player wants but how it makes money for the company.

Wtf does that got to do with making money?
Wait, what?

So it was a change that was brought in that you knew noone would like but...you brought it in anyway?

Huh?

I don't understand how in entertainment media that makes any sense.

It is taking some pride in the products you make, having a vision for what you want to make, rather than just making what customers ask for (which to be fair, much else in D3 is).
90 Night Elf Priest
You aren't getting this straight. We are losing real money now, whether we use the real money AH or not, when we die(and now it's a significant amount). You guys made the situation this way seemingly without provocation. It doesn't feel right that we are literally getting taxed.
Why did softcore have need this when there is the alternative for players that want a high cost for death in HC?
I feels like a squeeze on the little guy to have to buy things off the RMAH.
This whole thing is grrreeeaasssy! :)
Edited by Rockfish#1612 on 6/20/2012 5:03 PM PDT
25 Blood Elf Priest

Common sense rears its head. It would have been helpful if one of the developers had thought of this to start with.

It's silly to whack a barrel or a pot and have a repair bill unless the barrel explodes or something. I understand the whole thing about wear and tear but how difficult would it have been to moderate repairs needed due strictly to fighting mobs successfully and apply a higher multiplier on death?
So if we happen to go completely broke and all of our equipment breaks, we need to start a new character so we can get money while leveling up in order to pay for the repairs of our high level characters.

Not all of us are swimming in millions of gold 24/7.

No, when that happens you're just meant to buy gold, duh. :P
So much QQ about repairs. You shouldn't be dying nearly as much. I am glad they upped repair costs. Stop QQing and stop trying to kill A4 with 100 res all.
Simply put

This patch has taken most of the "FUN" left out of the game for me. I will be finding something else to play for now until this is resolved sometime in the future.

I hope so. Even if I'm able to avoid being killed the average act could end up costing 10,000 in gold. That's revenue I could put toward developing my Artisans, extra room in my stash and crafting new EQ.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]