Diablo® III

Repair Change is Hypocritical

Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now. It's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.

So you don't want people to try challenging content. You don't want them to get better by practicing bosses like Belial. You want them to farm until they over gear the mechanics to the point that the mechanics are meaningless...

Because they "shouldn't be trying" to tackle anything that is too difficult for them.

I realize this forum is full of twits who farmed themselves blind on goblins, ash pots, skipped acts, skipped bosses, and used every repetitive exploit they could google to get to 90K + damage. And now they are trolling the threads calling the people who don't like the new repair costs "lazy" and L2P. Lets be honest. Those people are the typical immature gamer who thinks that if they get geared out in Diablo and link their stats on a forum people will actually think they are good at something. That's why they love their exploits so much.

Well here's some food for thought. I didn't do that. And I was progressing through inferno just fine. (Had cleared up to Ghom before the patch hit) With gear that was roughly what I bet the designers assumed a new person playing the game should have. Getting stacks. Killing things. Auctioning it. Buying the occasional gear upgrade. Working in order. Experimenting with new builds. Aside from a couple of over the top affix combinations, I didn't/ don't think the game is "too hard".

The problem is unlike the majority of the Brain dead playerbase who thinks exploiting to "godly gear" and then mowing down content while ignoring all mechanics is an awesome good time, I actually get most of my fun out of trying new builds, and trying to beat things at gear level. In some cases that means dying a whole lot.

Thats what we do in hard core progression raiding in WoW. That's what we do in all sorts of games where we are "progressing". So why in gods name is it suddenly a sin to die? Why is it this horrible evil thing to earnestly try to beat something that might be a bit too tough, and fail at it?

I realize you guys want Diablo to be a "farming" game. But the designers have also went out of their way to make the content difficult and challenging. Smacking people on the hand like little children for having the horrible gall to try to beat the content.. rather than just farm lots of gold in easy mode or buying their way through is hypocritical. It makes Blizzard a company that has 100% bought into the cow clicker mentality.

The mobs resetting super fast is enough. The bosses needing to be done in a one shot is plenty. Making idiot level farming techniques not lucrative is decent disincentive.

Punishing people by forcing them to farm for hours in order to put in attempts on difficult act bosses, or for trying in earnest to beat difficult affix combos, or trying out a risky new move, is a jerk move. WoW abandoned that design, because they figured out that it actually wasn't all that fun.

But I guess the "right" way to play according to you is to park every single difficult combo off in the corner of the map. Trying to figure out how to beat it is "no no". Silly me. I thought games were supposed to be challenging and fun.

Why am I even writing this? I mean after all, you're all convinced that high repair costs "aren't going to be popular". So no reason to actually listen to any thoughtful arguments about how your sweeping change punishes the people who are playing the game exactly the way you all claimed you wanted it to be played.
Edited by Lux#1393 on 6/20/2012 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]