Diablo® III

Blizzard, you forgot to nerf champion affixes

This thread has a lot of good feedback regarding affix packs (as does [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889449769"]this thread[/url]), but let me try to address one question really quickly:

I dunno, OP has a point with certain combos. Vortex + frozen+ arcane + desecrate can be a pain, or similar with waller.

There's a difference between saying "that's an unfair affix combo" and "I can't beat this affix combo" (yet). Certain affix packs will be harder than others. The variance in randomness and in the difficulty of the packs is completely intentional and we're happy with where things are right now.

Having to restart a game or skipping packs altogether is also totally fine. As you become more powerful, finesse your builds, and develop a variety of tactics to use in different situations, you'll be able to kill more monsters. If you could kill everything uniformly the first time you stepped into an Act, you'd have a really limited sense of progression and the feeling of becoming "more powerful" wouldn't be as present. The design intent is that some affix packs will unbeatable for you at first, but then you'll come back later and get your sweet (and well deserved) revenge. We feel that making every affix combo equally difficult would take away the satisfaction of overcoming the more challenging combos later on.

I posted about this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5594210939?page=3#55"]a few weeks ago[/url], and our general philosophy hasn't really changed since then. You feedback is still encouraged, though!

do you even play you're own game seriously ? there is impossible affix's that no class can survive even with the best gear, and best skill set.

lets take for example.... shielding,invulnerable,reflect damage, arcane

no one takes you blues seriously when you have no idea what you're talking about, go test you're own game once in a while instead of being so greedy with the rmah.

/edit

diablo 3 = titanic 2.0

1.0.3 was the bigass iceberg
Edited by suriLL#1599 on 6/20/2012 7:25 PM PDT
This thread has a lot of good feedback regarding affix packs (as does this thread), but let me try to address one question really quickly:

06/20/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Viktor
I dunno, OP has a point with certain combos. Vortex + frozen+ arcane + desecrate can be a pain, or similar with waller.

There's a difference between saying "that's an unfair affix combo" and "I can't beat this affix combo" (yet). Certain affix packs will be harder than others. The variance in randomness and in the difficulty of the packs is completely intentional and we're happy with where things are right now.

Having to restart a game or skipping packs altogether is also totally fine. As you become more powerful, finesse your builds, and develop a variety of tactics to use in different situations, you'll be able to kill more monsters. If you could kill everything uniformly the first time you stepped into an Act, you'd have a really limited sense of progression and the feeling of becoming "more powerful" wouldn't be as present. The design intent is that some affix packs will unbeatable for you at first, but then you'll come back later and get your sweet (and well deserved) revenge. We feel that making every affix combo equally difficult would take away the satisfaction of overcoming the more challenging combos later on.

I posted about this a few weeks ago, and our general philosophy hasn't really changed since then. You feedback is still encouraged, though!

Interesting. So, we are not supposed to do repeated runs because they aren't "FUN" but resetting games over and over to hopefully get a set of affixes that isn't FAST, INVULNERABLE, HORDE, MOLTEN on a pack that is blocking the only way to the next dungeon level / boss "IS FUN". Got it.

No thanks, maybe I'll continue to play the AH only game. Restarting games in A4 Inferno buying gear with 40 Res all or 6% Crit and selling on the AH for a mint. Not really what I had in mind as fun when I envisioned Diablo 3.

Lastly, maybe I could spend $250 on the RMAH and buy some gear to help. I'm sure Blizz would just LOVE that one, wait, that's exactly the problem here. Our fun is directly related to your shy from the AH. RMAH slows down, nerf some gear to create a new play style thus creating a new gear market and influx of cash. Conflict of interest is so obvious here.
If you could kill everything uniformly the first time you stepped into an Act, you'd have a really limited sense of progression and the feeling of becoming "more powerful"

Well that's good to hear. Some people want this feeling of becoming more powerful to overpowered, and sometimes don't realize the things they are whining about will just undermine that entirely.

It's good to see when the front page of General gets flooded with hate, they still remain focus. Great job Blizz.

ok . .. . . the only way to get better is to "feel like your getting more powerfull" what a farce the only way to get better is to buy/earn better gear buying being the most used option 70% of the time . . . ..

and in order to progress i have to hope this perfect item drops or a item will drop that will sell . . .the market for ilvl61+ gear just to ahve something that works is outrageous .. . .

days of playing jsut for the belt with your main and secondary attributes with decent +'s and a resist all over 30 im wtf

i definitely feel penalized for not having cash to spend on items

so if you cant kill the elite and rare mobs then how are you ever supposed to progress, i have to spend hours farming gold so i can buy the cheapest second tier version of an items because their is no other option other than gold farming them to spend on AH . . . BS

remove the need for a AH and stop letting your customers ruin the game . . .this is your game blizzard .. stop being passive aggressive on is functions
Edited by KalEl#1339 on 6/20/2012 7:27 PM PDT
This thread has a lot of good feedback regarding affix packs (as does [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889449769"]this thread[/url]), but let me try to address one question really quickly:

I posted about this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5594210939?page=3#55"]a few weeks ago[/url], and our general philosophy hasn't really changed since then. You feedback is still encouraged, though!

I think this is cute considering upgrades no longer drop in game and are considerably more rare than legendaries now. So "yet" doesn't quite capture the time frame in which you will be unable to kill these packs.
Community Manager
Its not present, this is the first game I have played that as I got higher level, I feel weaker, and I have to go back and farm stuff just to progress through the game. In case nobody has told anyone at blizzard, games are supposed to be fun. This aint fun.

(For you) what would make affix combos more fun, but still be reasonably challenging? Keep in mind that we don't expect players to be able to easily kill everything they come across the first time, every time in the later difficulties.

This question is open to anyone reading along. If you have suggestions or thoughts, please chime in!

06/20/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Deistik
How about those more difficult affixes result in a higher chance to get a rare from those mobs?

Interesting suggestion. I'll definitely pass it along.
Edited by Lylirra on 6/20/2012 7:28 PM PDT
Great so I just run into a pack of something in the sewers, look like bomb throwers. They run way faster than my DH. And they have vortex. At least im not on my WD. So I get off a few attacks, traps, stampede bombers then I run out of discipline and they catch up and I die. Working as intended. Guess I just restart and hope there's easier champions next time?

What part of game "designer" are you guys missing. Throwing random affixes on stuff is fine i guess if you can avoid them, like D2. Sticking them in narrow dungeons and they run twice your speed just ends that run. Put some effort into this please. I mean WC2 was amazing how you had 4 races, totally different, and they were fairly balanced. It was impressive. Here you just make really difficult abilities, throw them together at random, and wait for players to gear up to survive the unavoidable onslaught. Where's the skill and tactics?

You complain that players are zerging through, farming goblins, etc. so you jack up repair costs. Yet you acknowledge you put zero thought into various affix combinations on various monsters and you place them in unavoidable locations. What do you expect?
Posted by Lylirra
Having to restart a game or skipping packs altogether is also totally fine.

Wasn't that you earlier that was talking about "fun"? This is a fun mechanic restarting games until you get lucky with champion packs.

Working as intended.

Also, what happened to making shielding champions stop putting up their shields so much? They still do it like every 2 seconds.
Edited by TLW#1453 on 6/20/2012 7:38 PM PDT
90 Undead Warrior
how can repairing stuff cost more the stuff itself
for me to be able to kill a challenging mob .. . is allowing mew the time to use tactics .. . . jail+nightmare+frozen + desecator . . .allows for one hit then frozen and drained . . .there is no way other then outright DPS from a ranged attack to kill this mob . .. . . or to load up my character attributes with different stats for just that mob and loose my buffs, which since i dont switch MF gear on and off mean i lose all possibilities to gaining an item that will work for the next hard pack/mob
Edited by KalEl#1339 on 6/20/2012 7:31 PM PDT
[quote="58880296640"I'm running 5k armor[/quote]

Heres your problem
90 Dwarf Shaman
06/20/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Lylirra
nteresting suggestion. I'll definitely pass it along.

While your at it, pass along that the repair costs are ungodly too high. Once that is changed we can get back to the game, but at this point it is unplayable. How can we finesse builds and develop tactics when we can't even make enough gold to repair the gear we are wearing. Absurdity.
06/20/2012 07:31 PMPosted by TmTkid
[quote="58880296640"I'm running 5k armor

Heres your problem[/quote]

wow it all makes sense now thanks so much for illuminating your point that 5k armor is the problem . .. maybe the guy should just plug mommies credit card into Bnet and buy his char
Edited by KalEl#1339 on 6/20/2012 7:32 PM PDT
(For you) what would make affix combos more fun, but still be reasonably challenging? Keep in mind that we don't expect players to be able to easily kill everything they come across the first time, every time in the later difficulties.

This question is open to anyone reading along. If you have suggestions or thoughts, please chime in!

Simple.. when i kill something at my level.. let it drop a peice of gear FOR my level.
nuff said

that way when i get to &%^& like that with random affixes i stand a chance.
Edited by KhaoticWar#1697 on 6/20/2012 7:33 PM PDT
I can make better affix combos in the toilet then what blizzard can come up with in this terribly designed game.
06/20/2012 07:24 PMPosted by Tenchu
I should never have to RESTART the game. If you put something in that is impassible that is broken. It is a broken function of the game. Its like if you were playing the original pokemon game and Professor Oak occasionally forgot to give you the Parcel to take to the first shop. You would then be unable to actually continue forward at any point in the game.

I hate the Pokemon reference but I see you also share my opinion. I think many do in this thread. Having say 3 stacks of your Neph buff to come across a pack you just can't beat is wrong and a horrible waste of time if Blizzard thinks anyone wants to restart a game and roll the dice as they pray they don't get a similar pack the next time threw.

It is crap like this that has me not logging in anymore. It just isn't fun.
Edited by Maldarius#1301 on 6/20/2012 7:33 PM PDT
90 Undead Warrior
i am now running a test the sale price on all my gear 18,638 I have one item that ignores their durability loss it's cost is 1553 gold I got the durability all down to zero and repairs will cost 35,650 how can it exceed the original cost of the gear I will not continue playing until my gear is fully repaired at the original repair costs!! when you buy a new television are $500 in the tell you it cost 1000 to fix your throw it out
This thread has a lot of good feedback regarding affix packs (as does this thread), but let me try to address one question really quickly:

06/20/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Viktor

I posted about this a few weeks ago, and our general philosophy hasn't really changed since then. You feedback is still encouraged, though!

I'm actually slightly appalled. The game mechanics are this broken because your designers have set the game to force players to dance to their tune, and yet you've such a nonchalant approach when myriad customers have requested refunds and blasted D3 for being a half-baked game?

This is something that should have been in open beta for 3 months. Not a launch title. Not one from Blizzard at least. You guys have been in the business for quite some time and launched a plethora of wonderful, fantastic titles that I have always enjoyed.

Diablo 3 is where this line was drawn for me. I actually went back to D2 and was (unfortunately) much more excited to play that and grind there than to do so in Diablo 3..

Your affix randomization is broken, still. When I started this game (yes, this is pre patch) and I walked in on an invulnerable minions, fast, fire chains, teleport pack- I pooped myself a little and thought "Egads, what was Blizzard thinking? WHAT balancing?!". This was not with chump gear, but with solid, inferno items and a fantastic build.

Hardcore is nowhere near viable right now (Don't think I haven't delved into this. Old JSP/D2 hardcore veteran here). I've a 60 demon hunter and 38 demon hunter that are both dead from absolute stupid affixes. They had quite good stats- and should not have died that easily. My 60 died in A1 hell- with 29k hp, 31k (or so I recall) dps after sharpshooter stacks, at least 300+ all resists amongst other decent stats from a stupid affix.

We are telling you what's gone wrong, and you're sticking to your guns. This is not simply a matter of a slightly 'off' launch, like D2 pre-patches- like WoW before fixing the exploits. This is a full blown blotch. The exploiters are laughing, sitting on top of their millions, ridiculous gear and the AH (in softcore at least, hardcore it's not so bad yet) is flooded with ridiculous prices. The economy is gone.

The only reason I haven't requested a refund is because I can no longer ask for it (from my understanding- someone PLEASE point out if I still can) and because I actually do have a shred of respect left for Blizz because of their previous titles.

I am not returning to D3 for a good while. It seems this so far is an excellent exercise in fruitlessly wasting your time.

(For you) what would make affix combos more fun, but still be reasonably challenging? Keep in mind that we don't intend for players to be able to easily kill everything they come across the first time, every time in the later difficulties.

A weakness to accompany the affix would be nice. Invincible minions for example could hit for half damage, or the elite could have less health. Something to smooth out the overpowered affixes would be a welcome change, as affixes range from unimportant to impossible on certain types of enemies. Invincible Minions and Fast are the only two that really come to mind as often impossible, as there are ways around most everything else.

The problem is not as much with the combos of the affix, it is the mobs certain combos are applied on. For example fast/mortar/plague/jailer on a "normal" mob is not too bad, but put it on a mob that is already fast, and has the ability to one shot you without being elite/champ, and it makes the mob literally impossible to kill no matter how good your gear is.
Edited by kweagle#1932 on 6/20/2012 7:35 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]