Diablo® III

Response to Lylirra's explanation of Drops...

06/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we think players running around with an entire set of Magic Find gear and swapping out those pieces every time they want to open a chest, smash a pot, or click on a weapon rack isn't really all that fun, and we didn't want the game's mechanics to make players feel like they needed to do that in order to be the most efficient. We also don't want players avoiding fighting monsters just to run after shiny clicky things (we want you to do both). In both situations, this is something we wanted to discourage and we implemented changes we felt would accomplish this.

These thoughts came from a post on Drop Rates that Lylirra posted (#13) on explaining why Blizz changed the drop rates the way they did. This particular portion deals with nerfing of destructables, chests, and weapon racks, which then touched on the topic of Blizz's stance on players swapping in MF armor for last hits.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5888889794#new-post

Not EVERYBODY does this. I don't particularly find opening all the chests, smashing all the pots, clicking on all the racks to be that fun. I like to KILL stuff. If I want to MF while I kill stuff, I use MF gear. I don't bring an alternate along and swap right before the kill because it's lame and it's not fun. I can sympathize with eliminating this strategy, and maybe to effectively do that you could just wipe the stacks of NV whenever armor is replaced, just as when skills are changed.

I feel the purpose of NV is to reward players who can find a build to deal with any challenge that comes their way. A build in Diablo, like many other games, equates to a set of skills (six active, three passive) and the equipment used (basically cumulative stats - i.e. stacking dex for a dodge build). NV doesn't fulfill it's purpose. At this point, players can use the biggest and best equipment to get the job done, then swap for big MF for the last hit. That won't happen if NV stacks reset after changing armor. Now I think swapping weapons/off-hands should still be acceptable, but being allowed to basically have two builds to farm (one with endgame gear and another with MF gear) defeats the purpose of NV.

Of course, like any change to the game, people will be upset with something. I can see not allowing armor swaps will make "upgrading" on anything you find while farming not possible, and people might get upset over that. Overall, I think this exploit (at least that's the way I see it) is far worse than the occasional inconvenience of finding an item worthy of an upgrade.

tl;dr Nerfs to MF on objects is silly. If your purpose is to eliminate gear swapping for MF kills, changing NV to reset on skill change AND armor change would be much more effective. Can I get a +1?
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
thats not fun!
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
Why don't they just implement a timer before gear MF is effective? Even a 30sec-1min delay isn't much in the big scheme of things but enough to stop people from swapping suits.

If you're going as far as running around swapping gear for chests, you probably only have one thing on your mind, gold per hour. Whether it be by getting items from chests or just straight gold. Just wearing a full MF suit gimps your killing ability as it is, which would probably push people into using more balanced builds.

Putting a timer before MF is effective from new armor pieces will lower their gold per hour, compared to lets say someone with a few MF pieces just blazing through popping everything they see. This would allow a more open build as well, at least in theory, as I for one feel I do not really inclined to stack much MF at all anymore.

This also wouldn't cause more rage that NV loss is causing (accidental skill swaps, etc). Sorry, I didn't like the sound of that idea :P Losing NV is annoying enough.
Reply Quote
Oh and that also takes care of the last-hit issue. Sure, swap gear, now survive for 30s or a minute without killing him/her/it. Good luck. /salute.
Reply Quote
Why don't they just implement a timer before gear MF is effective? Even a 30sec-1min delay isn't much in the big scheme of things but enough to stop people from swapping suits.

If you're going as far as running around swapping gear for chests, you probably only have one thing on your mind, gold per hour. Whether it be by getting items from chests or just straight gold. Just wearing a full MF suit gimps your killing ability as it is, which would probably push people into using more balanced builds.

Putting a timer before MF is effective from new armor pieces will lower their gold per hour, compared to lets say someone with a few MF pieces just blazing through popping everything they see. This would allow a more open build as well, at least in theory, as I for one feel I do not really inclined to stack much MF at all anymore.

This also wouldn't cause more rage that NV loss is causing (accidental skill swaps, etc). Sorry, I didn't like the sound of that idea :P Losing NV is annoying enough.

Ok I like it. Like I said, I didn't think MY solution was perfect, but at least a step in the right direction. If people want to run around popping dead boddies and opening chests, be my guest. But the swapping to MF gear right before last hit or chest opening HAS TO STOP BECAUSE IT'S LAME.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
it's Blizzard's felt need to micro-manage playstyle that needs to be nerfed

Exactly!
Edited by BigTFatty#1878 on 6/20/2012 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
why do you think BZ cares? they got our $59.99

and suckers will wait for another 10 years for Diablo beta 4.0 anyway.
Reply Quote
Hitting a chest or breakable item actually gives you a repair cost. Go try it. Hitting a vase costs me around 200 gold at my level.
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Raine
they need to focus more on the game and less on how people play it. This alone would address most of the current issues.

THIS is the biggest problem. They need to not care if people aren't playing the game the way THEY think people should. So long as people are having fun, let them smash every damn pot they want. Just make sure the game works correctly, and quit trying to tell us what's fun.
Reply Quote
I never heard of people swapping MF gears to break pots...it's so tedious. Unless this was a hidden gold farming secret...
Reply Quote
I'm not saying I hated your idea, or that mine is better, the timer was just me trying to avoid taking things away from the player, which Blizzard is good at doing.
Reply Quote
20 Human Hunter
Sucks.

Game was more fun pre-patch.

End of story.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]