Diablo® III

Dear CM

08/28/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Ison88
it has nothing to do with blizzard, its telstra who make it too expensive for blizzard to do it

That was a long time ago.
Other companies have offered to host servers for them quite recently from what I've read on here.

08/28/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Will at least know a little more late next month all going well.

Thanks Arc, keep us updated.
For the first time I actually haven't experienced any rubber banding / stuttering during a session since the latest hot fix on the 22nd. So whatever you guys are doing, it's working (at least for me). Tell 'em they're doing a bang up job.
Reply Quote
Really, are people still blaming telstra? iinet have offered to host them at competitive prices and there are a fair few other large ISP's in Australia. I'm not going to act like a babby and cry if you don't fix it i will hate you forever blizzard however i will point out an economic reality, this is a best selling game whilst people may still play diablo 3 i can almost guarantee with the quality of game play the majority of Oceania players have received i doubt many of them would purchase another blizzard game without seeing there current service improved.

I cannot see the logic from a business standpoint to not have had an Oceania server to host Aus, NZ, Indonesia and the pacific islands. Latency will always be an issue because we will always get bottlenecked entering the USA Blizzard cannot fix this but they should have planned for this a lot better. I have no doubt this will cost blizzard more business than setting up and running a server ever would.
Reply Quote
The fact that no one has replied in 13hrs confirms your view - there are very few Oceanic players left to comment or care. I agree with what you've said Mr Derp and i personally will never buy any Bliz or associates product again. At best i'll watch for 3months post release before i even make any consideration and if even 10% of what has happened with D3 happens in other such products i won't go near it with a 10ft poll. Offline mode option with full game content would be compulsory also (this was not available in D2 eg. some runewords and number of sockets per item were with held).
Reply Quote
View profile
@Arcagon:

why havent i seen you be4?
Reply Quote
Any current news?
Reply Quote
It probably wont happen because of the cost, here is a cost comparison on hon servers, i assume d3 servers would be similar in price
We have received some initial prices on hosting boxes in Australia:

Our boxes on average use 4,000-5,000 GB of data transfer a month, we get these boxes for roughly $200 USD each in EU/USA

Provider 1: $1250 per month for hardware, $11,250.00 per month for bandwidth per box, box would support 110 concurrent users

Provider 2: $1100 per month for hardware, $22,500 per month for bandwidth per box, would support about 220 concurrent users.

We have also made inquiries at Internode and are awaiting a quote back from them (it was requested last week Tuesday).

So as you can see, the economics of hosting boxes in AU is just not there currently.

If you look at the price differential there is a factor of at least 5.
Reply Quote
Oh C'mon how long is "time"? how long have Australian customers been asking this question. long before D3 was released i am sure. so was the improper placement of the oceanic SC2 server a factor in this? who do we have to contact to get real answers?

I can give you real, legitimate answers.

To do what you suggest (Placing servers over there), is expensive. Very expensive. Before doing so a number of things would have to happen. First, a complete analysis of the problem needs to be done. Massive amounts of data collected, and parsed. The first thing you need to do is figure out where the problem lies. Would adding servers solve the problem? Or is it a problem with your local infastructure? If it is, placing servers wouldn't do anything, so it'd be a complete waste of money.

With a RUSH job, a full and total analysis of such a thing would take a couple weeks. At a normal pace, a couple months.

*IF* it is finally determined that new servers would solve the problem, a cost analysis then needs to be done. I'm not going to get into everything this involves, but it is also a lengthy process. The end result of this process will be 1 of 2 things

#1 It is economically sound to place new servers in the region
#2 it is not economically sound to place new servers in the region, so we will continue to look for alternative solutions. If such a solution cannot be found in X amount of time, we will revisit the server issue.

Blizz may or may not have more steps involved than what I mentioned, but the above would be basic protocol. I also couldn't say where in the chain they are, but overall it is a very lengthy process, and until you've completed a full step (which can take weeks to months), there really ISN'T anything to update.

HoN has had oceanic servers for sometime now, NZ 45ms that is epic and there must be a significant amount more people playing Blizzard games than HoN.

Blizzard need a good PR stunt down in this part of the World, a server would be the best thing ever!

Paying an extra few dollars a month for servers if they cost more is something I am willing to do! Hell I would start playing wow again if they had severs down here!!!!!!!
Edited by Tyrant#6804 on 9/23/2012 10:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It was made clear that any investigation to look at solutions to improve latency on a regional level would take some time.

If we had the response of 'no local severs ever.' then it would in some ways be a relief just to communicate this to everyone here, but this is not the case, which should be counted as a good thing.

I know it isn't what people want to hear but I will communicate any info I have once I have something solid to communicate back for sure.

The NZ government alongside private comapnies are investing billions of dollars into fibre cables and internet capacity, the US dollar also goes allot further in NZ so it might be an idea to also investigate servers in NZ over AU ...IF the price is something that is stopping.

Connecting to AU from NZ gives you a latency of around 40ms on a normal connection something anyone would be happy with.
Reply Quote
09/23/2012 10:31 PMPosted by Tyrant
Paying an extra few dollars a month for servers if they cost more is something I am willing to do! Hell I would start playing wow again if they had severs down here!!!!!!!

We already do that. D3 is $AU 79.99 vs $US $59.99. We pay near $20 more for an inferior product.

EDIT: Just to clarify thats from purchasing directly from blizzards battle.net site. They charge us an extra $20 simply because of our region.
Edited by Denthor#1912 on 9/24/2012 4:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Will at least know a little more late next month all going well.

it is now late next month! Any news!
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
My grandson plays a Bioware game SWTOR which has Aussie servers in Sydney. Get around 40ms ping. Very few Aussies are still playing SWTOR but at launch there were quite a lot. Blows all Telstra regarded comments out of the water.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
09/29/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Misguided

Well the current situation is that nothing major is going to happen before the end of the year. Really wish I could just say 'Nothing is ever going to happen' but it’s not like that.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
lol. Keep waving that carrot.
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Arcagnion
before the end of the year. Really wish I could just say 'Nothing is ever going to happen'

Perhaps find the middle ground and nominate as year (before the end of which nothing is going to happen): 2050.
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Arcagnion

Well the current situation is that nothing major is going to happen before the end of the year. Really wish I could just say 'Nothing is ever going to happen' but it’s not like that.

Blizzard/Activision would of done a economic/technical feasibility study. It would of been completed by now and therefore you should have your answer.

Your statement is obviously a half-truth and Activision/Blizzard have no plans of ever bringing a server near Australia in D3 life-time.
Reply Quote
From the post above, it costs $1 per person per month (+data which is going to be massively cheaper than the AU options if there is even a charge at all) for Blizzard to run servers out of US/EU.

In AU it's going to cost $107 per person per month based on the cheaper of the two options.

That's obviously not going to happen.

Much as I dislike the state of Blizzard as a company, you can't fault them for this one. Problem lays with the cost of IT in Oceania which is dramatically behind the rest of the world.

So we are more likely to get D3 servers in AU by lobbying the government to bring our IT in line with the rest of the world then screaming at Blizzard to pay the currently exorbitant hosting costs.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Kalix
D3 servers in AU

Most people would be utterly happy with a server in NZ, Singapore or some other location which is closer to Oz. But (as asked in another thread) how many of those screeming would really start from scratch again?
Reply Quote

Most people would be utterly happy with a server in NZ, Singapore or some other location which is closer to Oz. But (as asked in another thread) how many of those screeming would really start from scratch again?

Interesting you repeat that question since the PTR shows they can set up a new "domain" and allow import from any geographic server location.
So if they set up a new server centre somewhere IT cheap (let's not kid ourselves, AU and NZ are NOT cheap)... let's say India for example... they should be able to allow a one-off import of account from US to IN servers.
Ping to India from AU/NZ - should be half the ping to California.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 05:04 PMPosted by smurfynz
Ping to India from AU/NZ - should be half the ping to California

More like 3/4 imo - Singapore, Malaysia, etc would cut it to half or less.

And yes, if account transfer is possible some would do (myself included) but others who have friends stuck on us server would not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]