Diablo® III

Temp Latency Issue Fix Guide

As many of us know and experience the latency issues its a problem that seems like it is never going to go away.
Blizzard's blatant disregard for its Australian and New Zealand players seems like it is a never ending battle. Their 'Hot Fixes' do nothing but make it worse for some players, the only way they can fix our latency issues is to have a Australian/Malaysian/New Zealand hosted server.

I have some simple but small improvements that can be made to help over come extreme latency issues. Today i will show you and help you with some of the programs i use to help over come this problem.

Internet Service Provider:
We all have different ISP whether its Telstra Big Pond, Optus, iinet or even TPG, they can all effect our latency in some way.
To begin with check your internet speeds at http://ww.speedtest.net
Make sure you select an American hosted server in California to start the test. Give it 1-2 mins and you will have your results.
Average Ping/Latency is between 200-380ms.
My ping/Latency sits comfortably around 361ms.
Though this isnt an ideal connection speed it will be slightly different to what you get In-Game.

ISP Connection speeds:
ADSL= Downlad@150kb/s Upload@30kb/s
ADSL2+= Download@500-800kb/s Upload@150-200kb/s
Cable= Download@10mb/s Upload@2-3mb/s

If you are not getting your connection speeds you maybe to far away from you exchange server, which causes a delay in connections.

Tools:
GameBooster3: I use gamebooster to max my FPS(Frames Per Second) and to help fix some latency issues on my side (Your own computer). Its a good little program that works well, mainly gets rid of background processes that hog up your bandwidth and CPU performance.

Description: Game Booster 3 is capable of delivering the best gaming experience to you even if you have an old PC. One-click to boost PC performance is not enough, Game Booster 3 also allows you to tweak your system for top PC performance. By temporarily shutting background processes and unnecessary Windows services, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance, Game Booster 3 concentrates every little system resource for gaming only.

Download: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

SmoothPing: I have not personally use SmoothPing but i did test with the test page they supplied me with. :http://www.smoothping.com/pingtest

Desciption: Smoothping is a service that creates a faster way to play multiplayer online games like World of Warcraft, Aion and Rift by reducing your ping time (the amount of time it takes for the information sent from your computer to reach the gaming server, and vice-versa). In most cases, Smoothping can lower your latency or in-game ping by as much as 50-70%.

Download: http://www.smoothping.com

If there is anything you would like me to add/fix/make a guide for please leave me a comment and i will get back to you ASAP.

Please *Like* if this was helpful and share with your friends that may need a little extra boost to decrease their latency.
Edited by UnderPowered#1492 on 6/20/2012 3:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Internet speeds don't have a high effect on latency unless your connection is being maxed out, I have played with 230ms while capped to 56k and it was fine cause I was doing nothing else.

The main lag you get is caused by routing and/or packet loss.

Tunnelling services like smoothping can help you there, I used to use lowerping for WoW as it helped greatly but sadly it has no effect for me in D3 but that being said it is free to try(you get disconnected after a 30min session on the free version) and is very easy so give it ago you never know www.lowerping.com I do know some people who have used a tunnelling service and gotten great results.

Yes Aussie servers would be great for us because even with the best of the best its impossible to get below 180ish ms simply cause it has to travel to the other side of the world.
But any tweek to help you play better is a good thing I think!
Reply Quote
@Narull Thank you for your feedback appreciate it. I know for a fact you would not be able to play D3 on a 56k modem speed, that would cause your ping to spike every 2 seconds which would be unbearable and reach heights of 500-800ms which would end up disconnecting you. Simply because you cant stop every single process that's using your internet connection, you only get 9.8-10kb/s on a 56k modem speed and you need at least 75kbs to run Diablo 3 in a smooth latency frame so the game would be bearable. Dont lie Narull, you never played with 56k modem speeds.
Edited by UnderPowered#1492 on 6/20/2012 4:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Ok I'm sorry I lied, I just looked it up and internode cap to 256 kbps when your over quota, they used to cap to 56k but that was years ago(shows how long I've been with them)

Sorry my bad happy to admit when I make a mistake!
Reply Quote
All good man :) Mistake happen, i just knew for a fact 56k modem speeds are impossible to play any online game, i used to have dial up 10 years ago. Apologies bro!
<3
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
ahh 56k modem days....yeah I don't miss them haha
Reply Quote
So this is a big add for a tweak program?
Reply Quote
just checked with the speedtest website .. results as follows
Ping 16 m/s
Down :115.16 Mbps
Up : 2.35 Mbps

Can i say anymore about it .. I had smooth FPS from the first hour the servers went live until about nearly 2 weeks ago now .. i have stopped playing the game till i see happy news on the forums I'm not wasting my time !! My computer specs are just as good as my broadband connection I.E. latest GPU and the CPU is only 8 months old .. 8GB Ram and dont run anything in the background either .. I use to be an MCP and fixed other peoples issues in relation to networks .. I can tell you .. Blizzard updated there server on an emergency fix and it was never the same again :-(
TY for taking the time though in helping out :-)
Regards
Scot
Edited by Golith#6989 on 6/20/2012 5:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 05:20 AMPosted by Narull
ahh 56k modem days....yeah I don't miss them haha
Oh i remember it like it was only yesterday, downloading a 4.5mb song took you 45mins. Actually i dont miss it at all with my 10mb/s cable speeds XD

06/20/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Cryten
So this is a big add for a tweak program?
Not advertising anything, suggestion methods that work for me and could possibly help others. i didnt know helping was a crime around here Cryten, you might be one of the lucky ones that get a flat 200ms an entire session.
This is only designed for help. If it was an advertisement i would be spaming D3 Forums saying "blah blah blah buy this it works! must use! 100% fix for latency issues"
does it say that? No...
Reply Quote
I' am about to go try now and see what i get tonight .. wish me luck .. if you dont see me post here in the next 10 minutes then I am back to normal FPS
Reply Quote
just checked with the speedtest website .. results as follows
Ping 16 m/s
Down :115.16 Mbps
Up : 2.35 Mbps

Can i say anymore about it .. I had smooth FPS from the first hour the servers went live until about nearly 2 weeks ago now .. i have stopped playing the game till i see happy news on the forums I'm not wasting my time !! My computer specs are just as good as my broadband connection I.E. latest GPU and the CPU is only 8 months old .. 8GB Ram and dont run anything in the background either .. I use to be an MCP and fixed other peoples issues in relation to networks .. I can tell you .. Blizzard updated there server on an emergency fix and it was never the same again :-(
TY for taking the time though in helping out :-)
Regards
Scot

You are the same as me Scot, except you live in America by the sounds of it, if you did the test correctly and selected an American/California server.
My specs;
Cpu: AMD II 640 x4 4.0Ghz
Gpu: Nividia GT 430 1gb DDR3
RAM: 8gb SD-DDR
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 05:35 AMPosted by Golith
I' am about to go try now and see what i get tonight .. wish me luck .. if you dont see me post here in the next 10 minutes then I am back to normal FPS
Please do go and check, if there is still trouble leave me a message and ill see if i can help you out further with it, dont want to Advertise my help to much or ill get banned (Directed at Cryten)
Reply Quote
Pleased to report the patch seems to have corrected the issue sfficently so not to get fraged to death CYA im going back in
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 05:44 AMPosted by Golith
Pleased to report the patch seems to have corrected the issue sfficently so not to get fraged to death CYA im going back in
Okay man Enjoy :) Glad to see your happy :)
Reply Quote

You are the same as me Scot, except you live in America by the sounds of it, if you did the test correctly and selected an American/California server.

Sorry I live in downtown adelaide M8
I am on the New Telstra line which has not been rolled out everywhere yet !!!
Reply Quote

Sorry I live in downtown adelaide M8
I am on the New Telstra line which has not been rolled out everywhere yet !!!
I Live in an industrial Estate in Vic Eastern Suburbs with a private cable line and private exchange server :P

did you select an american server before you tested it on the green map thinggy? because i dooubt you got 16 m/s connection speed with the blizzard servers, more around 300-350ms would be correct if you lived in Aus
Reply Quote
BigPond Ultimate Cable Liberty* (100GB)
That is the plan they offer .. and since I got mine they have actually upgraded the 100GB plan for the same price to 200GB .. reminds me I must go complain and get the increase data limit as I chew though this 2-3 weeks into my plan if i'm not careful !!!
Reply Quote
lol .. i can send you the screenie m8 .. i selected the Adelaide hosted by telstra .. whats ur email address.. if your not getting pings of 16 m/s .. i can only help you by posting the link to upgrade your account to something better
http://go.bigpond.com/broadband/
Edited by Golith#6989 on 6/20/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My server is litterally up the end of this road :-) Helps being an EX-MCP when talking to the level 2 techs about my connection
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]