Diablo® III

Tyrael - Angel?

Can somebody please explain to me why Tyrael got to keep his super awesome angel sword that he insisted on smacking into the ground after he gave up being an angel? Yeah we had to get it "reforged" but the pieces came down with him, unlike his armor and unlike his wings.

I know there are threads discussing what the swords place in the story is and probably a thread asking this very same question. I'm just curious to know what other people think about this and to see if there is in fact an answer.
Edited by achlys#1558 on 6/26/2012 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Per other parts of the story El'druin is as much a part of Tyrael as his arm or leg. As Tyrael is the embodiment of Justice, his weapon could not harm those who were righteous. I draw a parallel to the One Ring and its relationship to Sauron in LOTR.

I thought in the cinematic he drove Solarion (Imperius' spear) into the ground before tearing off his wings.

As Tyrael made the sacrifice to become human, he lost control of his power... it wasn't really a choice to fall and for everything to go haywire. There are a few lines in game where he regrets the chaos he caused.

He had this dire warning to tell... but the fall left him without his memory or his weapon. So it's up to us to help him recover the pieces. Just in game terms, it gives us something to do as the story unfolds. So by reforging the sword (also a strong LOTR reference) he is made whole again and his power and memories are restored.
Reply Quote
Is it his wings as it looks like he is tearing his armor off.

Even if he tears his wings off, shouldnt he still be an angel? Just a wingless one?
Reply Quote
06/27/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Mask
Even if he tears his wings off, shouldnt he still be an angel? Just a wingless one?

Exactly.
Reply Quote
06/27/2012 11:43 AMPosted by LittleDisco

Exactly.

Well, in the cinematics he unequped the item called angelic wings only available to edictor's collection users.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]