Diablo® III

Life on Hit vs Life Steal

I know a lot of monks out there prefer life on hit. But for argument's sake, is there a way to make life steal work? Let's assume everything else is equal (attack speed, critical hit chance, etc.)

I think people are comfortable with 1,000 life on hit (translating to 2,000 life per second for those with 2 attacks per second). But now that dual-wielding is becoming popular again, it's easy to stack 6% life steal. You can probably raise it further to 10%. Sticking with 6%, does a 35,000 damage per second (translating to 2,100 life per second) seem appealing for anyone?

On a side note, people are gearing with higher critical chance and damage builds. with that and the damage buffs from skills, I think life steal benefits the most from these.

Also, I think life steal weapons are still cheaper and haven't picked up yet.

Anyway, your thoughts? Also, feel free to correct my math if I assumed something wrong. ;)
Edited by Abdullah#1982 on 6/22/2012 2:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I know a lot of monks out there prefer life on hit. But for argument's sake, is there a way to make life steal work? Let's assume everything else is equal (attack speed, critical hit chance, etc.)

I think people are comfortable with 1,000 life on hit (translating to 2,000 life per second for those with 2 attacks per second). But now that dual-wielding is becoming popular again, it's easy to stack 6% life steal. You can probably raise it further to 10%. Sticking with 6%, does a 35,000 damage per second (translating to 2,100 life per second) seem appealing for anyone?

On a side note, people are gearing with higher critical chance and damage builds. with that and the damage buffs from skills, I think life steal benefits the most from these.

Also, I think life steal weapons are still cheaper and haven't picked up yet.

Anyway, your thoughts?

I believe lifesteal is only 20% as effective in inferno so that would actually be 420 life per second.
Reply Quote
Yeah, even at 20% lifesteal seems like a very nice bonus to have on both weapons when dual wielding. I get around 880 LoH from rings/amulet, and if I could find two good weapon upgrades and they had lifesteal, I certainly wouldn't complain about the extra healing. It does seem like it could be pretty nice with a crit build.
Reply Quote
Lifesteal is "a nice bonus" but you really shouldn't look for this stat actively. It's only slightly better than having a strength bonus on your weapon (for armor bonus).

The only ones to my knowledge who can use lifesteal efficiently are the barbarians and their amazing burst coupled with the ignore pain runed with 20% lifesteal.
Reply Quote
Life Steal is reduced by 80% on Inferno, while Life on Hit isn't reduced at all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/22/2012 02:41 AMPosted by Derpey
Life Steal is reduced by 80% on Inferno, while Life on Hit isn't reduced at all.

This.

At very high gear levels, Life Steal will overtake Life on Hit, simply because your damage will be so high that the measly 20% effectiveness will out-heal a good chunk of Life on Hit.

There are some barbarians streaming on Twitchtv that know about this, but they consistently crit from upwards of 300K, which I'm not even sure Monks are capable of. Regardless, if they had 10% Life Steal:

20% of 10% = 2%.

2% of a 300,000 crit = 6000 Life per 300k crit, which is drastically superior to any amount of Life on Hit.

It just depends on gear, really.
Reply Quote
Yeah, but how often are they making 300k crits compared to the consistency of LoH.

Also, what hasn't been mentioned is that life steal works off all damage (aoe), but loh tends to be different per attack. So during large aoe, it's also easier for life steal to surpass LOH because you're doing more total damage.
Reply Quote
Yeah, but how often are they making 300k crits compared to the consistency of LoH.

Also, what hasn't been mentioned is that life steal works off all damage (aoe), but loh tends to be different per attack. So during large aoe, it's also easier for life steal to surpass LOH because you're doing more total damage.

I was about to get there. Mantra of Conviction - Submission, any Ally and Sweeping Wind can become a constant supply of life regeneration that probably could be much better than what Mantra of Healing gives (although that mantra really isn't popular to begin with). Then there's the Cyclone Strike, Lashing Tail Kick, the 3rd strike of Crippling Wave, Fists of Thunder and Way of the Hundred Fists, and Seven-Sided Strike.

I agree that it's still not something that could be depended heavily on. I'm just interested if I could make this work. Primarily because I find it cheaper. LOL. =P
Reply Quote
A single chest armor piece can give you 600 life/second without even having to hit an enemy. The only items that cannot give life regeneration are weapons, and some uniques probably still offer it. You can stack over 4000 life/second from items.

A dual wielder can stack over 3200 life per hit.

This concludes the life steal discussion.
Reply Quote
How does LifeSteal and LifeOnHit work with Monk's Tempest Rush?

I tried it with LifeOnHit and it seems NOT working.
ie, I got a weapon with 750+ LoH, rushed around a mob, and I am not healing up like it should.

Anyone to confirm?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]