Diablo® III

Ideas to Make Diablo 3 Survive for a Decade!

I'm CrazyJeff, and I want Diablo III to succeed.

I'm a Business and Economics student, with an acute interest in psychology, and a long time Blizzard fan.

I don't know everything, really I don't know much at all. But I want this game to be great, I want to be playing it 5, or even 10 years from now.

If you listen to the community's pleas and maybe give this Google Doc a read, we might just get there.

Part 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fZCqEGPJCuqFPBinnEBVc7t4qW9sDmlnKvIHMRmYS4Q/edit

Part 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RIc6GG9psf_0gkw8NMfZ1swGzw9fN1qakuXXX1tDzbU/edit

Part 3: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rV_15ab7jMTG86xC0LMb2VpL7FAogI4LaTlvhsSiinE/edit

Introduction:

Diablo III is a fun game. Let me get that out now, I enjoy playing Diablo III and would like to continue enjoying it, potentially, for years. However, now that I have 2 Level 60’s, Inferno has been cleared, my items are sufficient, and farming Act 1 ad nauseum is the most efficient way to find upgrades (read: more money to spend on the Auction House) my typical Diablo 3 session has changed. It usually goes as follows

1. Login
2. Stare at my toon and think “Man, he basically looks like every other Monk i’ve seen”
3. Check Auction House
4. Frown
5. Start a game or join a public game if I’m feeling saucy
6. Kill 5-10 Elites
7. Get 7 Level 55 Rares and a bunch of trash blues.
8. Don’t even bother with a boss
9. Die, because I’m bored and not paying attention to Arcane lasers
10. Look and my repair bill, and then just exit the game.

This isn’t permanent, at least I hope not, but it's clear something needs to change. I care enough about this franchise, the Diablo community, and having fun in my free time, to compile some suggestions, thoughts, theories, and ideas myself-- and most of the Diablo community-- feel the game needs. I’m by no means an expert, and this isn’t MY game, it's Blizzard’s, but you’ve always been a company that works tirelessly to satisfy its customers, and we want this game to be as amazing as you do.

Sincerely,

Jeff

UPDATE: ADDED PART 2
UPDATE 2: Part 3 is complete!

TL;DR

Part 1-

- The game in its current state takes away player Autonomy. People have a desire to be self directed. Unlock the Acts! Open up all the waypoints! Remove all the cutscenes and “Hiddon Futprints” as an option! Make all the bosses spawn, every game. There’s a reason it worked so well!

- People CRAVE STATUS. The level cap at 60, without any kind of "Prestige" system leaves the endgame stale. Having a way for others to see how good and dedicated you are is a feeling people desire, and will grind hours, days, months, even YEARS for.

- PEOPLE WANT TO BE A PART OF SOMETHING! Diablo III is missing something in this sense of community. The “ghost town” effect of Battle.net 2.0 that plagued the early days of StarCraft II is apparent. Follow the suggestions of the community. WE WANT TO MAKE FRIENDS!

Part 2-

- Diablo III's current loots system is like a boring slot machine with no goals and crappy winnings

- Itemization and Legendaries, specifically, need a LOT of work. I could outline it all here, but Brother Laz **creator of the phenomenal Diablo II Mod Median XL,* said it best in this post on IncGamers:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/brother-laz-explains-whats-wrong-with-diablo-iiis-legendaries

- Add SELECTIVE DROP DIVERSITY! A powerful tool Blizzard can use to accomplish their goal of players exploring entire areas, as opposed to running the Chaos Sanctuary 200 times, if IMPLEMENTED CORRECTLY.

What do I mean by Selective Drop Diversity?

Using a Diablo II example, the reason people ran Chaos or Baal over and over was because THEY DROPPED THINGS AT BETTER RATES YOU COULDN’T GET ANYWHERE ELSE!

As far as I know, this doesn’t exist at all in Diablo 3.

Every mob in Act 1 Inferno could drop any Legendary item above level 50.

Part 3-

- Rework artisans to give people goals they can strive for, and let them build anticipation for items they KNOW will benefit them. Right now the crafting system is also a boring slot machine, that costs too much and never gives a big payout.

- Exceptional PvP could make this game into something truly immortal in terms of gaming history. Read the article for my complete suggestion.

- The auction house needs more efficient mechanisms for sellers to set prices, and buyers to find what they want at the lowest price. This will stabilize market price.

-There needs to be an EXCHANGE RATE between the RMAH and the Gold Auction House
Edited by CrazyJeff#1902 on 8/2/2012 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump: Its a Long Read, but it needs support
Reply Quote
Well done. Makes sense and can potentially be a nugget of truth Blizz needs to seriously consider.
Reply Quote
Thanks, I'll be writing part 2 tonight and tomorrow, addressing Itemization and Farming, to make more fun and variation
Reply Quote
Blizzard should hire you Jeff.

But then with people like you, Blizzard staffs would get fired.

so i'm gonna be a little pessimistic and say they won't bother with your research.

I will, however, say this is very well done and +1. Thanks for your hard work ^_^
Reply Quote
What prolonged Diablo 2 and other classic games such as Warcraft 3, Quake, Half Life Counterstrike is the in-game community and social interaction. Thanks to the modding community and actual clan/chat support, DoTA and Counterstrike were born. It's like Blizzard decided to shun the community with Battle.net 2.0.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 has none of that thanks to Battle.net 2.0. Starcraft 2 only lasted me a month, I'd be surprised if Diablo 3 lasted me another month. Already bored of this game.
Reply Quote
@Optimism-

I addressed this in my "Purpose" section of the write-up.

Its true, the games need a sense of community and there have been a slew of phenomenal suggestions made for StarCraft 2 that could easily apply to Diablo III

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308482

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?823552-The-Lack-of-Presence-Visibility-and-Community-may-Kill-Diablo-3
Reply Quote
Thanks for the support, I posted this on Reddit and EU Battle.net forums as well.

Part 2: "Get Fat off Loots, No More South Beach Diet" (tentative title)

Should be done tomorrow.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Good job. A prestige system of artificial ranking that does absolutely nothing except to brag about, is perfect! I want moar prestige! Brilliant
Reply Quote
Why do you not work for Blizzard? LOL @ Maslows Pyramid. I havnt heard of that in years since my college years... Very good incite and very good feedback.

BLIZZARD DO NOT IGNORE!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
good read, hope it gets some attention
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Holy poo. Very well thought out, well spoken criticism with valid ideas on how to fix it. I really hope this gets seen and at least considered.
Reply Quote
Totally agreed.

My 2 cents:

+ make coopplay more rewarding, the "more exp per player" worked really well on D2.
+ change the quest system, give a real reward but make them non repeatable. (like in D2).
+ more VIABLE build diversity, so not every class has the same build, at least on HC inferno.
+ add Diamonds & Saphires to the jeweler.
+ add crafting recipes to the jeweler with random affixes on the resulting gems, hes pretty useless atm.
Reply Quote
Excellent read! Thank you for putting in the time and effort.

Community is a big thing I feel D3 is lacking. I am/was one of the leaders for the Reddit Realm of the Mad God guild before moving over here. We talked a lot in the months leading up to D3s release about how we'd all talk in our own private channel (we thought this would be an option), jump in and out of each others games, etc. Of course, this didn't happen. Even with the guildies that are on my friend's list, we rarely play together. It just still feels so much more efficient to do things on your own.

RotMG had a very simple guild system. You had your own private chat channel and private guild hall and that was it. It was still enough to keep our community going for a long time.

I guess the point of this is: can we haz private channels soon please? A guild/clan system would be awesome, and maybe a more elaborate chat system if you're not in world with a character (like the old B.net, but with maybe the person in general's profile picture next to their text. You can click on their profile and see their achievements, etc.)
Reply Quote
I'm CrazyJeff, and I want Diablo III to succeed.

I'm a Business and Economics student, with an acute interest in psychology, and a long time Blizzard fan.

I don't know everything, really I don't know much at all. But I want this game to be great, I want to be playing it 5, or even 10 years from now.

If you listen to the community's pleas and maybe give this Google Doc a read, we might just get there.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fZCqEGPJCuqFPBinnEBVc7t4qW9sDmlnKvIHMRmYS4Q/edit

Introduction:

Diablo III is a fun game. Let me get that out now, I enjoy playing Diablo III and would like to continue enjoying it, potentially, for years. However, now that I have 2 Level 60’s, Inferno has been cleared, my items are sufficient, and farming Act 1 ad nauseum is the most efficient way to find upgrades (read: more money to spend on the Auction House) my typical Diablo 3 session has changed. It usually goes as follows

1. Login
2. Stare at my toon and think “Man, he basically looks like every other Monk i’ve seen”
3. Check Auction House
4. Frown
5. Start a game or join a public game if I’m feeling saucy
6. Kill 5-10 Elites
7. Get 7 Level 55 Rares and a bunch of trash blues.
8. Don’t even bother with a boss
9. Die, because I’m bored and not paying attention to Arcane lasers
10. Look and my repair bill, and then just exit the game.

This isn’t permanent, at least I hope not, but it's clear something needs to change. I care enough about this franchise, the Diablo community, and having fun in my free time, to compile some suggestions, thoughts, theories, and ideas myself-- and most of the Diablo community-- feel the game needs. I’m by no means an expert, and this isn’t MY game, it's Blizzard’s, but you’ve always been a company that works tirelessly to satisfy its customers, and we want this game to be as amazing as you do.

Sincerely,

Jeff

None of that will ever happen.

Diablo 3 will die out as the player population dwindles to nil and the servers will go down.

Don't worry though they already got our money so Blizzard execs will get their bonuses this year regardless.

Thanks for playing.
Reply Quote
I read the whole thing and its perfect. If Blizzard took just the end game level 60 prestige suggestion AND opening up the waypoints/boss spawning to allow farming anywhere you want then I would consider this game to be a win not a fail.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]