Diablo® III

Ideas to Make Diablo 3 Survive for a Decade!

There have been many other constructive feedback threads that seemed to get more attention then this. As far as I'm concerned, CrazyJeff has written the most comprehensive and revealing analysis of the core systems and flaws in the game. This thread really deserves to be seen by more.

I wonder how much the D2 designers understood this theory expounded upon by the OP. Was it blind luck that they dialed the gameplay and core mechanics into such an addictive and rewarding reinforcement system?

D3 is not a bad game, it is incredibly fun with a ton of great gameplay to be had, but it's interesting how a few design choices and minor tweaks can have such wildly differing psychological effects on a player.
Reply Quote
There have been many other constructive feedback threads that seemed to get more attention then this. As far as I'm concerned, CrazyJeff has written the most comprehensive and revealing analysis of the core systems and flaws in the game. This thread really deserves to be seen by more.

I wonder how much the D2 designers understood this theory expounded upon by the OP. Was it blind luck that they dialed the gameplay and core mechanics into such an addictive and rewarding reinforcement system?

D3 is not a bad game, it is incredibly fun with a ton of great gameplay to be had, but it's interesting how a few design choices and minor tweaks can have such wildly differing psychological effects on a player.

Wow, I appreciate the praise. It is a shame this thread doesn't stir up more attention, probably because of the length.
Reply Quote

Wow, I appreciate the praise. It is a shame this thread doesn't stir up more attention, probably because of the length.

this really needs to stay on top till a blue replys atleast
Reply Quote
06/30/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Orthogonal

I agree with this, and very much so. If I saw no potential in the game, I wouldn't still be here arguing for changes. Sadly, the story will never interest me and the DMR and RMAH will always irritate me, but so much of the game has the potential to be great that it's a little sad that I can't bring myself to play it for more than a half hour at a time.
Reply Quote
While I agree with some of your points I do not see any way short of an expansion or a 6 month rewrite of the core game to achieve your desired goals. Diablo 3 lacks variety, to put it simply. They tried to add variety by pushing players to fight champion packs and allowing instant respecs. That failed for the reasons you have already stated. In addition the items and the math they are chained too is extremely boring and lacks any insperation or variety.

This game was designed with the MMO expansion formula in mind where the players would mindlessly run the dungeon to get their T61 gear. Then they would move on to the next dungeon to get their T62 gear and so on. And in a few months blizzard would be able to add an additional zone/difficulty to gain your T64 gear as a DLC for $20 or full blown $40 blizzard style expansion.

That concept failed when players cheezed past the dungeons, got the great weapons which have the single largest impact on character power, and began to post them on the AH and the crys of the masses destroyed that game design model.

To properly implement your suggestions the entire game would need overhauled with relation to how items and their modifiers work. That would create more of an uproar than the IAS nerf did! Diablo 3 is the game that it is. That doesn't make it a bad game its just not the ARPG that most were hoping for and sadly I cannot see them changing it.

With all that said though, your suggestions are pretty good and well thought out good job mate.
Reply Quote
@bugoo,

I don't think any of us in these feedback threads concerned about the longevity of the game are under any delusions that Blizz will be able to quickly fix these issues. We understand that it is going to require significant development resources to pull it off, and that's assuming they are actually listening and trying to implement PvE, PVP ladder systems, loot and crafting redesigns etc.

We are just hopeful that they will listen and correct it at some point, whether it be a major patch a year from now, or in the next expansion. It's going to be a lot of work to fix, and if in the end they don't, then D3 will go down as a good, but not great game, that cashed in the goodwill of the playerbase. If they do fix it, the franchise will further cement its legendary status and become a long term mutually beneficial arrangement for players and Blizzard.
Edited by Chronos#1529 on 6/30/2012 9:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A few times, while reading your articles, I looked back at the game we have now. It is unbelievably depressing to see it the way it is: all flash, no flesh. In one month, the fans came up with truly awesome ideas, making the professionals that stood on the shoulders of the Diablo II giant for 7 years look like a bunch of dilletantes.

But this is what happens when passion is replaced by self-righteousness.
Reply Quote
Deleted by NightsMay
Edited by NightsMay#1100 on 11/7/2012 4:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Simple bump, 'cause too exhausted to write, how much I support you.
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
+1 and bump.
WTB > Blue mod post and recognition of thread
Reply Quote
Hell even constructive criticism is redundant nowadays. Great points to be said but to no avail. Sorry to burst your bubble.. Just go with the flow if you enjoy the game.. If not, come back when its satisfactory to your expectations.
Reply Quote
Well said and well done. I'm happy to see constructive criticism here rather than just rabid whining.

Yes, D3 isn't perfect, we have a LONG way to go to make it something special like D2 that can withstand the test of time. But hopefully with enough calm, rational, good ideas Blizzard can take the time to implement them and use the D3 platform to create a darned cool, re-playable game.

And as you point out, it's not a matter of scrapping the whole game. There's a handful of relatively easy tweaks that can be made to immediately add tremendously to the enjoyment while they work on some of the bigger overhauls.
Edited by Myrdrexial#1694 on 7/1/2012 4:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Agree with the OP
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]