Diablo® III

Ideas to Make Diablo 3 Survive for a Decade!

CrazyJeff: Very well written. I agree with you 100%. I want this game to succeed, but in it's current state, I think it's dying quicker than ever with all the negative feedback it has.
Reply Quote
We've already had some MVP's express support, which is awesome!

I'd love to have this thread get a blue post, its nice to see that your ideas are reaching the right people.

If people keep posting\thumbs up in this thread, we're bound to get some blue attention!
Reply Quote
Lengthy read but well written.

Gave you thumbs up in hope Blizzard gets attracted to this thread.
Reply Quote
Part 3 was a good read, perhaps a bit too anecdotal than theory based, but still overall sound suggestions.

The suggested improvements to the AH would be a huge step in the right direction, but I will still maintain that in-game gold has no future. It is going to be impossible to balance gold farming vs sinks in the long run. It makes sense to have a gold based auction house from a basic exchange perspective, but it needs to also incorporate a better barter system. Over time, players will eventually begin to use other in-game items as currency (ala Stones of Jordan or High Level Runes in D2) and a black market will develop to better serve the market functions for pricing because the value of gold will be so volatile and trending towards worthlessness.
Reply Quote
I actually wrote a post back in the Beta Forums, where i predicted the development of an independent currency for stability.

However, its still very early in Diablo III's economy and, as I pointed out, the lack of an interface that fosters community involvement makes a bartering system like this clunky and borderline impossible.

If Blizz implements a chat\community system like I linked to in Part 1, this very well could happen if\when Bots overrun the supply of gold.

Although Blizz has done a good job of nerfing gold farming (in the form of nerfing all pots...) I agree that a hyper-inflation scenario is still possible
Reply Quote
Have you requested a sticky or something of the sort to get more attention?

I would like to keep bumping till we got a blue response.
Edited by Laka#1347 on 6/29/2012 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump for agreement. And I fully support what brotherlaz said about loot. Loot in D3 is boring as hell and even the legendaries are boring they offer nothing in the way of making them unique besides look. Every barb in act3 looks pretty much exactly like me and all weapons look the same as their level 50, 40, 30,20, 10 counterparts. Oh you have an axe with a bit of fire on it big whoopdie freakin dooo.
Reply Quote
Have you requested a sticky or something of the sort to get more attention?

I would like to keep bumping till we got a blue response.

Yeah I requested a sticky, along with many others. I'm pushing hard to keep this up. I appreciate your dedication to bumps Laka ^.^
Reply Quote
"Wings of Valor: These glowing red angelic wings represent Imperius, the Aspect of Valor
Cost: 100,000,000 Gold"

People will play years on end for something like this. Reason: Showing it off in public games, friends or in PvP.
Reply Quote
"Wings of Valor: These glowing red angelic wings represent Imperius, the Aspect of Valor
Cost: 100,000,000 Gold"

People will play years on end for something like this. Reason: Showing it off in public games, friends or in PvP.

There are more than a few people who have a 100million gold already if not much much more. Just follow high bids on the AH and you can see that.

But I like where you are going with this.
Reply Quote
There are more than a few people who have a 100million gold already if not much much more. Just follow high bids on the AH and you can see that.

But I like where you are going with this.

Actually, if you saw what i posted, this wouldn't unlock until PvP Rank 99, which probably would take months of PvP to get to. The gold cost is just there as a necessary gold sink
Reply Quote
First time posting on these forums because I actually feel like it's worth it.

CrazyJeff - Excellent and well written post. The rhetoric you use embodies that which you (and we) desire this game to be - it kept me reading and wanting to see what was next.

I logged in about a week ago for the first time in what seemed like a month. I stared at my character on the screen and then closed the game. I have no desire to try and play this game because there is no purpose to it. For me, simple PvP kept it purposeful in Diablo 2 (amongst the endless drive toward 99). Everytime I got my !@# whipped in PvP I would try and figure out what gear he/she had. What build he/she used. There were consequences in Diablo 2, if you built your character wrong. That kept the drive to make new characters and perfect your own style and to keep pushing to be better. I had COUNTLESS characters that I made and deleted. Accounts full of mules to keep myself stocked. All I relied on was MYSELF, not forced to upgrade using the auction house. I mf'd for the rewards, I traded goods, I tested myself against others. There was always someone better and the drive to be the best kept me going for YEARS. I didn't need or want an auction house. Getting scammed was a learning experience, but there was a certain aspect and art to bartering that the AH has completely removed. It does not feel like a community - there is no community. There's nothing. Sitting in the chatrooms, you could look at people's character avatar and see what their gear was, see their level, and communicate. I liked being able to pick a public game to join based on the name. There were trade games, PvP games where people would coerse you to join the game based on the name of the game (I'm #1 USE Sorc or Pvpvpvpvpvpvpvp). There was a community and a mutual respect for everyone. This game has some eye catching things about it and certainly have made some improvements on D2. Overall, though, D2 is a vastly superior game that not only keeps you driving to be the best, but to enjoy the sense of community and teamwork.

This is no way was a well put together post, but more of a rant. I think your ideas are very nice and would at least help get this game back in the right direction. Not only are your ideas good, ideologically, but psychologically as well. They're backed up by psychological principles that should be exploited by game developers. Your ideas make it seem so simple to erase the monotony that this game has become.

Thank you for your post.
Reply Quote
I've been watching RSA videos for over a year and the studies they conduct have very interesting results, especially ones that were chosen for animation.

I like that you have bundled game design and psychology. Your pdfs are great, short game design must knows. If they don't help blizz, I still thank you for making these; it has helped me a great deal.
Reply Quote
bemp
Reply Quote
Sticky requested, might as well try. I don't know if a dev will ever see this kind of post, but I imagine the CM's will. They will never set foot in a post like this and actually reply, but the idea's have a good chance of being relayed.

I seem to recall from the reddit AMAA, Jay wasn't exactly opposed to some of these types of suggestions (i.e. "Free Play" mode), just that the game in its current state is not capable of doing this.

They are slowly getting the message, and the overall gist of this will get to them eventually, it's now up to them to see how they can pull it all together. Unfortunately, any real fix to the core issues, is not going to be easy. It will require significant development support and a lot of retooling systems. It's not likely we'll see D3 fixed until an expansion which is probably 2+ years from now.
Reply Quote
I really like the idea of "Champion Levels" or something akin to this. However, I would tweak it a bit. It would be best to be an Account based "Champion Level" system and not tied to a particular Character. This way, you aren't dividing your time between 1 class or another, but regardless of which Lvl60 toon you use, you are increasing your Champion Level and all the perks/arbitrary bonus's would apply.

If it was tied to your account, it's something that could be posted under your avatar in the forums and in the game if they ever get a chat/community portal setup.
Reply Quote
hey
if you wanna play d2 lod just do it but stop making them turn the game into it
legendaries was not intented to be the best items, and still there are SOME which are the best items and there are tons of useable legendaries. if you don't see this maybe check the stuff out before writing tons of stuff. this is the way you want to play this game ten years, i wouldn't want to play it for one minute. i stopped diablo 2 because of the expansion back, uniques better than rares made it boring for me (and other changes ofc).
Reply Quote
Jeff, despite your best intention I think you have mistaken what Self-Actualization really mean. It's even written smack dab in your pyramid, "achieving individual potential". However, you've applied the notion of "mastery" and combined it with self-actualization in the broadest term. What I desire to achieve may be different than what others want.

Most, if not all, MMORPGs have some kind of ranking system. While these titles and perks are contributing motivational factor to play the game they are not, by any means, self actualization. I know, I've quit many games prestige system be damned.

Do you realize that Maslow himself stated that self-actualization rarely ever happens? and that it occurs in less than 1% of the adult population. It's called the psychopathology of normality. So to apply it to something so shallow as this is completely irrelevant and meaningless.
Reply Quote
hey
if you wanna play d2 lod just do it but stop making them turn the game into it
legendaries was not intented to be the best items, and still there are SOME which are the best items and there are tons of useable legendaries. if you don't see this maybe check the stuff out before writing tons of stuff. this is the way you want to play this game ten years, i wouldn't want to play it for one minute. i stopped diablo 2 because of the expansion back, uniques better than rares made it boring for me (and other changes ofc).

I think the discussion on the loot went right over your head. No where did he (or many of the other players discussing core issues with the loot) say that Legendaries (uniques) need to be better than rares or even most rares. The problem with the loot is that they are designed to only appeal to 1 out of 3 types of game play styles.

An item that is a Unique, needs to do something that is, you know, Unique. Take any Legendary item in D3 strip off the name and look at the stats, there isn't 1 person in a thousand that would be able to tell it was a unique. The stats and affixes on Legendaries are no different than what can be rolled on a Rare, just different ranges. The Uniques NEED mechanical affixes and create new abilities not available to classes otherwise.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Gnome Warlock
I've probably read your documents both 4 times now. They're really great ideas.

Keep in mind though that CM's do read these forums quite often. Just because they don't respond in them doesn't mean they're not reading. =P

Great work though, I really enjoyed it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]