Diablo® III

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2012 Gameplay Experience

I want to report on my gameplay experience with the below system configuration.

Model: Macbook Air 13" Mid 2012
    Processor: 1.8Ghz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software: Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4
    External Monitor Used: Dell 2005FPW

Diablo 3 Video Settings:
    Display: Full Screen
    Resolution: 1280x800 (16:10 Widescreen)
    Letterbox: Unchecked
    Vertical Sync: Checked
    Max Foreground FPS: 40
    Max Background FPS: 1
    Texture Quality: Low
    Shadow Quality: Off
    Physics: Low
    Clutter Display: Low
    Anti-Aliasing: Unchecked
    Low FX: Checked

FPS: Unknown due to a known issue with the latest patch displaying an FPS of "0". I will update this when the issue is resolved.

Experience:
The gameplay is perfect. I have completed ACTS 1 and 2 with no lag or choppiness. Once the FPS issue is resolved, I will update the thread with my average FPS, as well as the FPS on Medium and High settings. I have a low tolerance for choppy gameplay, and I can say that I am 100% satisfied with my experience thus far. I honestly did not think the system would be capable of running the game smoothly, but it does.

EDIT: I have completed Normal mode with zero issues or choppiness.
Edited by Dwoskeezy#1419 on 6/23/2012 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wow thanks for this thread. I just bought one a few days ago and was hesitant about installing it but now that I read this, I will give it a shot. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
Are you using the trackpad to play, or an external mouse? I can't imagine trying to play D3 on a trackpad.
Reply Quote
I have the same laptop (without the upgraded ram). But I find that the top left part of the kb area gets VERY hot and the fans kick in as soon as the game is launched.. Do you get the same thing?
Reply Quote
I currently have a new macbook air with 4gb of RAM as my 8gb one is in order. You can change those game settings. You can run the game at 1440x900, anti alliasing on with everything on high except shadows which is turned off and it is very playable. I would say at least 30fps as I have not noticed and stuttering.
Reply Quote
To clarify I am playing on nightmare act 3 currently and still no slowdowns.
Reply Quote
But what about the heat? :O
Reply Quote
I have the same machine, (base 13 air) but I'm nowhere near that performance. I am only running D3 and nothing else, and I'm running the lowest 1024x640 and its still choppy. I have everything set to "low" or "off." Its still choppy. So I have two questions.

If I returned this machine and got one with 8GB ram (512 v ram Intel HD 4000) would it increase my FPS?

Any guesses why my machine is so much worse than the others? Are y'all running bootcamp? Im running latest the OSX.
Reply Quote
Do you have the 2012 air? I don't see the game taken use of the full 8 gb of ram. Not sure why your performance is so low as mine is excellent on high settings
Reply Quote
Yes it is the 2012 air. I only asked about the 8GB ram is because for some reason with 4GB of ram the intel HD 4000 has 386vram vs if you have 8GB it has 512vram. So i assume you have 8GB of ram? and 512 video memory? That might be whats causing your performance increase, and if it is, then ill spring the $100 extra and get that ram. Thanks for the reply.
Reply Quote
Didn't realize the 8gb of ram came with a better integrated card. Though currently I am playing on my 4gb version as my 8gb version doesn't come in to later this week. But ya mine runs great with the 4gb I just got to act 4 on nightmare to, still 30+ fps with everything on high
Reply Quote
I am considering purchasing the MBA mid 2012 base model. This thread is confusing. I am seeing that I may get very reasonable performance or terrible choppy performance on the lowest of settings. Which is it?
Reply Quote
I can only speek for myself but I get great performance with everything on high with shadows off. I bought this 4gb model just to try out and I ended uP liking it so I ordered one with 8gb. I will update once my big one comes to see of that one still runs it
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Wutzup
I can only speek for myself but I get great performance with everything on high with shadows off. I bought this 4gb model just to try out and I ended uP liking it so I ordered one with 8gb. I will update once my big one comes to see of that one still runs it

Are you running bootcamp or playing the game on osx?
Reply Quote
Playing on Mac os
Reply Quote
I might be able to shed a little light on this, I started with lowest settings, intending to work my way up until it wasn't playable. I went back and clicked on "default" and it loaded much higher settings. 1440x900 with high textures/ low shadows, etc. Decent. It was much more playable than low res? o_O? I can't explain that. And i can't measure it either because my framerate counter is at zero? Maybe there is something going on with that?

Also, for various reasons, I also ordered another base model with 8gb ram and ill return my 4gb when it gets here. I feel kinda guilty returning a laptop like that, but hey if apple doesn't wanna let up upgrade then lol they can sell a refurb! But i can confirm that the Intel HD 4000 allocates more video ram with more ram and ill post up my results between the 4/8 GB machines. As for right now I would "guesstimate" about 25-30 FPS where I have it on default settings.

Playing on MAC OS.
Reply Quote
turn off shadows and crank up the rest to high it runs it great
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 04:15 AMPosted by Wutzup
I currently have a new macbook air with 4gb of RAM as my 8gb one is in order. You can change those game settings. You can run the game at 1440x900, anti alliasing on with everything on high except shadows which is turned off and it is very playable. I would say at least 30fps as I have not noticed and stuttering.

I agree that the game is very playable at those settings, however, I am extremely picky when it comes to gameplay. When I play on your recommend settings, I notice slight stuttering and very slight screen tearing, which is unacceptable for "me". Everyone has their own preference. I think that your input will be valuable to the players that don't mind a hiccup here or there, and by hiccup I mean barely noticeable lag/choppiness/etc. I just wanted to put the minds of the gameplay OCD freaks out there like me at ease :).

I have the same machine, (base 13 air) but I'm nowhere near that performance. I am only running D3 and nothing else, and I'm running the lowest 1024x640 and its still choppy. I have everything set to "low" or "off." Its still choppy. So I have two questions.

If I returned this machine and got one with 8GB ram (512 v ram Intel HD 4000) would it increase my FPS?

Any guesses why my machine is so much worse than the others? Are y'all running bootcamp? Im running latest the OSX.

As far as why your systems gameplay is not what mine appears to be, I cannot say as I do not have the 4gb model. Apple has a 14 day return policy with no questions asked and no restocking fee. My recommendation would be to purchase the Macbook Air 8gb, test the game out on that, and if you are happy with the performance return the 4gb model, otherwise return the 8gb model or both.

I am running on Mac osx 10.7.4, with the power-adapter connected (not sure if that matters at all). I cannot attest to the heat issue that you are having as my machine rests on a desk while I play. I also use a mouse to play. The only programs that I have running while playing are Dropbox and BetterSnapTool (both of which are not meant to boost performance for gaming in any way whatsoever). I installed all of the system updates from Apple. I also turned bluetooth off, but that was for energy reasons.
Edited by Dwoskeezy#1419 on 6/25/2012 10:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Could you post what temps your CPU is at while playing?
Mine shoots up to 90-100c right away. It can't be good long term to be playing for hours on end with those temps?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]