Diablo® III

Best way to find Legendary items?

Hello everyone, just wondering what the best way to find legendary items really is.

I am in Act 2 Inferno with my Barb, but have yet to see a single piece of Legendary equipment throughout normal to Inferno.

Are most of the found legendary items dependent on a high Magical item find? Or are they more likely to drop with defeating elite mobs, champions or bosses? My Magic find is at 158% however still have never seen any. Just wondering what the deal is.
Reply Quote
There is no good way of finding legendary items.. its all luck.. currently getting NV at 5 and farm A1 mobs might be the fastest..

Or... you could try finding a real life job, cashing in your income on RMAH. Might be faster.. but it is definitely much much more consistent.
Reply Quote
There is no good way of finding legendary items.. its all luck.. currently getting NV at 5 and farm A1 mobs might be the fastest..

Or... you could try finding a real life job, cashing in your income on RMAH. Might be faster.. but it is definitely much much more consistent.

Ah I see, thanks. Pure luck eh? I had thought it had something to do with Magic find.

I have a job alright, however would not spend any of my hard earned cash on virtual items :)

Just a casual gamer, looking for a bit of enjoyment after work.
Reply Quote
Hello everyone, just wondering what the best way to find legendary items really is.

RMAH

/story
Reply Quote
Don't listen to most of these guys/gals.. the best way to find a legendary is to go either to the AH or the RMAH.. Probably the best stuff is on the RMAH..
Reply Quote

Ah I see, thanks. Pure luck eh? I had thought it had something to do with Magic find.

I have a job alright, however would not spend any of my hard earned cash on virtual items :)

Just a casual gamer, looking for a bit of enjoyment after work.

MF increases your odds of dropping a legendary slightly. You still gotta rely on luck to actually get a "good" legendary once you actually get one to drop.
Reply Quote
it's called luck! good day sir.
Reply Quote
AH and RMAH

Working as intended.
Reply Quote
Well more magic find does mean an increased chance but it is still a chance.

For example (these numbers are made up):
White drop rate = 80%
Blue drop rate = 15%
Yellow drop rate = 4%
Legendary drop rate = 1%

You have 200% MF on
White drop rate = 60%
Blue drop rate = 30%
Yellow drop rate = 8%
Legendary drop rate = 2%

You have 300% MF on
White drop rate = 40%
Blue drop rate = 45%
Yellow drop rate = 12%
Legendary drop rate = 3%

Note: MF has no impact on what stats the dropped item will have - so even with 300% MF you may get a Yellow drop that is worse than a blue drop!

So in conclusion, yes more MF = higher chance of obtaining a legendary drop BUT it is still pure luck as the chance remains rather slim =(
Reply Quote
06/26/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Rza
aim for blues

wrong

Rares will always have more + magical properties.
Edited by Gnosis#1870 on 6/26/2012 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Read a post yesterday describing MF like this. The more MF you have the better the chance a white drop turns blue. Of the blues, MF makes it more likely those blues turn yellow, then yellow to green/orange.

So its like rolling a 100 side dice, over 50 makes it blue. Roll it again and if its over 20 its yellow. Roll the dice a third time and if its a 100 you get a orange.

Once you find your first, you start to see them more often. For a long time I only saw 1, but now I'v gotten 3 more in a third of the time.
Reply Quote
Read a post yesterday describing MF like this. The more MF you have the better the chance a white drop turns blue. Of the blues, MF makes it more likely those blues turn yellow, then yellow to green/orange.

So its like rolling a 100 side dice, over 50 makes it blue. Roll it again and if its over 20 its yellow. Roll the dice a third time and if its a 100 you get a orange.

Once you find your first, you start to see them more often. For a long time I only saw 1, but now I'v gotten 3 more in a third of the time.

Ah cool. Thank you, that was a great explanation :)

Still waiting on the day to find one of my own! (I have purchased 3 in the auction house using Gold, however they were relatively cheap in comparison to what some may sell for)
Reply Quote
I think the best way is obviously to get a high paragon level... Then repeat quests with TONS of dungeons!
Reply Quote
I think it's funny when people act like the rmah is only way to get legendaries. I am not max mf, not max paragon and I find legendaries about every 40 minutes on average...maybe even closer to 30 mins. A good route and smart decisions make a lot of difference. Don't stop to pick up anything not 63 unless jewelry. Don't worry about killing every white mob. Don't chat while farming. Use low mp levels unless you can efficiently farm higher levels. Act three is probably the absolute most efficent. Short runs with lots of close elites can be better than long runs and 5 stacking. There are spots in act three on mp1 I can down 2-4 elites in 2 minutes. And I have found several legendaries doing that quick run without ever getting 5 stacks.
Reply Quote
How is this guy saying that he/she is in Act II inferno when profile says otherwise?
Reply Quote
With credit card power. 100% drop rate for uniques on the RMAH
Reply Quote
Try killing stuff.
Reply Quote
ya i didn't get legendaries for a long time. since the new patch tho i have found a few pretty often - so often it really surprised me. In the past ten times of playing (40 minutes - 2 hours), I have found no less than 7 legendaries - i can't even remember all of them off hand now - there were some not so great ones and some good ones. let's see...wormwood, warmonger, mage's shade, blackthorne belt, some monk headpiece, a wand, cindercoat. i think that's it - cd be one or two more. the stinky ones that wouldn't sell i kept, but some were really good - the blackthorne belt sold for 6.9 M right away. when i find good legendaries i essentially trade them for ones that my chars want.

the majority i've found on single player games - inferno, act 2 or 3 (mostly 3) - but one was in hell act 4, and one in act 1. in inferno, i usually play mp 1 or 2. I didn't always have a full NV stack, and i think about half were not from elites/ champions/bosses, but just random guys, i think i even got one from a chest. Some i got within literally the first 20 min of playing - and in at least one session i found 2 within an hour. since the last time i found one tough i've played for several hours with nothing. really is just luck - mf and nv and mp etc increases ur chances slightly, but each enemy/chest/pile of bones is like rolling the dice again anew.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]