Diablo® III

Diablo 3, Blatantly better then torchlight II

06/22/2012 11:57 AMPosted by MountainMan
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Great Scott!
Reply Quote
I like it when satire goes over folks heads, DUH is all I can say.
Reply Quote
lol easy to spot the people that didn't actually read the article.
Reply Quote
Satire? Satire is supposed to be subtle, this is more of a direct affront.

I don't mind people's own opinions but understand that this is a very subjective article, comparing a few select (as perceived by the author) problems of Diablo 3 to the unreleased Torchlight 2.
Reply Quote
Satire? Satire is supposed to be subtle, this is more of a direct affront.

I don't mind people's own opinions but understand that this is a very subjective article, comparing a few select (as perceived by the author) problems of Diablo 3 to the unreleased Torchlight 2.

And even with it being that obvious... Some humans still didn't get it.

Yes we know Torchlight 2 isn't out yet.

It doesn't need to be OUT to comment on the things he's saying.... He is talking about it having LAN, and no DRM, and things like that...
Edited by kurleykilla#1274 on 6/22/2012 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And even with it being that obvious... Some humans still didn't get it.

Yes we know Torchlight 2 isn't out yet.

It doesn't need to be OUT to comment on the things he's saying.... He is talking about it having LAN, and no DRM, and things like that...

No I get that. All I'm saying is that absence of LAN, and DRM do not make a game. Gameplay makes a game. Everything else is fluff people like to talk and complain about. The core of Diablo 3 e.g. the combat, monsters, loot and gore are very polished so from a gameplay point of view it is a good game.

Look at the complaints: no skill point allocation. Yes, I have +200 dexterity just on my bracers and apparently swapping 300 (5 for 60 levels points) around will suddenly make your character unique? It's an illusion of choice. The stats for each class are streamlined so if you create a Demon Hunter and max out Intelligence then it's not unique, it's stupid.

This is my subjective opinion and the reporter has his own. I'm not here to tell people what to think, just to say why I respectfully disagree :) (I put a smiley face because ?! is not a good indicator of a joke)

Edited for grammar
Edited by Ursus#1442 on 6/22/2012 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, how polished of a gameplay experience Diablo 3 really is, is debatable.

In fact all the complaints about inferno and champ mobs being a joke, relate back to poor gameplay. In the sense that the game doesn't really reward reflexes and skilled play. It is more of a numbers game and a never ending gear check. Whereas the gameplay previous to inferno is actually quite shallow because it is so easy you can just spam whatever you want. But then again I guess good gameplay is an subjective thing.

Btw I was just implying some other people didn't get it, not you though.
Edited by kurleykilla#1274 on 6/22/2012 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo was never a skill based game and that's its goal.

In my view skill and gear exist on two sides opposite of each other. Take Demon's Souls game or whatever skill based game you want, the point is that if you can clear levels only using your skills that devalues the gear and vice versa. What good is a legendary 1500+DPS weapon to you if you can beat the whole game without?

Diablo is all about gear. Actually Diablo 3 compared to the previous games has much more skill involved, in Diablo 2 magic immune elites were deadly to a certain type of class. I am yet to run in Diablo 3 in a completely impossible combination that you can;t overcome with a little more resists, or DPS or better kiting i.e. skill. Making a perfect Vault with a Demon Hunter escaping the walls and molten while grabbing a health orb to heal the wounded allies is not a skilled play? There's also such skill as pick your battles. If you head on into the difficulties or fights that are above you then you lack wisdom (not a primary stat). Kidding, of course.

But returning to the point, after what I said above, it doesn't make sense to make the game skill-based. Some people are more skilled than others and they die less, kite better etc etc, but in order to make the loot desirable and make the rares, legendaries etc. valuable the gear check mechanics work.

But then again, what's the skill in Torchlight? Demon's Souls is not even remotely resembling Diablo, let's compare it Dragon Age as well, it looks same-ish?
Reply Quote
Well, I'm not sure you can comment on what the goal was behind Diablo. I would argue that all games to some extent are "skill based" and if they weren't all games would just be a matter of going through the motions, games that are like that tend to be poorly received.

Of course acquiring better gear does reduce the amount of skill needed to progress in the game, but there is still a lot of playing to get to that point. How much skill that actually takes is debatable, but it is still skill based. Killing Diablo in D1 was not easy... it took skill and thought. Exponentially less thought and skill depending on the quality of your gear, but the fact remains.

(In no way shape or form is "a little more dps/res" skill, seriously... we have all seen the debates the case is closed on this one)

First you say the game isn't about skill, then you say you have yet to run into an impossible mob combination in D3 that could not just be overcome by more skill? That just isn't the case... although things have changed for the better with 1.03. Clearly MANY MANY people thought it was impossible regardless of skill, and the idea of making it a gear check was disgusting, so yes they have lessened the gear requirement and made your skill level a little more useful.

The argument of how the inferno champ mobs really where just silly and did not reward skilled play has been done to death, and based on changes in patch 1.03 we can clearly see who was the majority.
Edited by kurleykilla#1274 on 6/23/2012 11:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
well only thing TL2 sux is that there is allready hacker with infinity gold + items. G fking G
Reply Quote
" Do you know when people played games via LAN? 1963, probably! Diablo III doesn't need LAN play because it is on the cutting edge of the technological wave, surfing into tomorrow on a board made of science and wearing the Bermuda shorts of discover"

hahahahhahaahahah
Reply Quote
A thread resurrected from the dead.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Reply Quote
09/21/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Bandoorian
well only thing TL2 sux is that there is allready hacker with infinity gold + items. G fking G

Hacker? TL2 provides mod tools so that you can do whatever you want. That isn't hacking, it is just acceptable behavior entirely supported by the devs. If you don't want to cheat you don't have to and you can choose not to associate with those who do. But thanks for bumping the thread, the article was a great read.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]