Diablo® III

Plot twists

Am i the only one who actually got surprised by all of the plot twists? I didnt expect belial to be disguised as emperor Hakkan or that Adria would betray us until the last moment. Although now when i look back her betrayal could have been figured out I still don't understand how Belials disguise was obvious.
Reply Quote
Belial was the most obvious twist in the whole game. It's simple, there are no other options. You aren't introduced to anyone else who you could even consider to be Belial. There is no one else that he could have been.
Reply Quote
I have to assume the OP is trolling.

I have to assume this, or I lose my faith in humanity forever.
Reply Quote
Well, all the plot twists in the game are essentially the same:

"...but then we find out that character X is actually Y!!"

For character X, fill that in with: the Stranger, Emperor Hakan, Leah
For Y, fill that in with another character that's already famous: Tyrael, Belial, Diablo
Reply Quote
No i am not trolling and I guess i simply did not expect Belial to be exposed in a cutscene or something. I thought it would have been just another dungeon where Belial is in hiding after his identity has been exposed. Basicly i thought the emperor would say some random guy is belial and he ran to the dungeon and i must go find him and kill him.
Reply Quote

Welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies.
Edited by Melancholy#1609 on 6/25/2012 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

For Y, fill that in with another character that's already famous: Tyrael, Belial, Diablo

In the expansion you find out that character X is really your long lost brother.
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 01:23 AMPosted by SVRKNKR
Am i the only one who actually got surprised by all of the plot twists? I didnt expect belial to be disguised as emperor Hakkan or that Adria would betray us until the last moment. Although now when i look back her betrayal could have been figured out I still don't understand how Belials disguise was obvious.

I'm so sorry, but yes, you are the only one. Emperor Babychild was so absurdly obvious that I quite literally LOL'd when he appeared in the sewer and suspiciously told us about Belial. And just in case you didn't pick up on how suspicious it was that the emperor kept popping up all over the desert, Eirena basically flat out tells you in the aqueducts "there is something fishy about this kid."

Adria, likewise, was a very dark character whose evil was so thinly veiled that she may as well have had devil horns. Like, did you listen to her dialogue? It would've been a lot more interesting if she had acted sweet and maternal toward Leah and completely supportive and congratulatory to the nephalem, instead of coldly ordering Leah to blast doors down and chastising the nephalem.

In Diablo 1, Adria was really intriguing because her ambiguity was carefully maintained; she seemed like she was in Tristram out of an objective interest in magic and demons, instead of a desire to help or hurt you, so you were never really sure what her motives were.
Reply Quote
I'll admit, I was fooled, but only for a short time. To be exact, while in the sewers with some of the refugees. Was pissed at him for ordering his Serpent-Guard to kill us, but he had a decent tone while explaining that Belial was watching him. okay, got that. Maybe Belial is a character off the scene. Perhaps the leader of the guards? Or a general? Would explain why the Emperor is surrounded by snakes...

And then his tone takes a complete 180* turn. "You must be heading to the Oasis. I can open these gates for you." He sounded so smug, like he knew he convinced us of his innocence. I almost felt the urge to slam my head into the desk. I was almost guaranteed he was Belial, but I held my doubts. He is the lord of lies after all. could be the Emperor is a red herring.

The use of magic, and the lacking of any other suspects however, pointed to the Emperor. Was not surprised.

As for Adria.

In Diablo 1, Adria was really intriguing because her ambiguity was carefully maintained; she seemed like she was in Tristram out of an objective interest in magic and demons, instead of a desire to help or hurt you, so you were never really sure what her motives were.

That was close enough to my opinion of her from #1. Needless to say, they ruined the character in this game, even if the original Blizzard North planned on using her in a similar way.

Her character is wrapped around the soul-stones, and their purpose, as declared in Diablo 3. To bring that to light, one must understand the original purpose of the soul-stones. To imprison the three Greater Evils, Mephesto, Diablo, and Baal, after they were banished to Sanctuary... Somehow. Due to Izual however, the three learn about a weakness, and exploited that weakness. Corrupting those around the stones, and eventually taking a host.

The events from Diablo 1 happen then. with the Unknown Warrior shoving the soul-stone into his body, in an attempt to contain Diablo. Similar to what Tal-Rasha did with Baal.

Thus the events of Diablo 2 happen. This is where the soul-stones become ambiguous though. What happens to the essence of a demon trapped in a soul-stone, once it's destroyed? Most common theories are, they are banished to the Black Abyss, or they are killed. Obviously with D3 they aren't killed. As such, we have to go with banishment. Two Greater evils are banished for sure. And while it is unknown what happened to Baal's soul-stone, it is assumed to have been destroyed with the Worldstone. The two Lesser Evils are killed, and we assume they'll reform in hell.

Now, in comes Adria. She claims to have placed a marker on each Greater, and Lesser Evils killed during the events of D2. How? We don't know. Why? To contain all the Lesser, and Greater Evils in the black soul-stone. That has the red flags going right there. What are we going to do once all the evils are in the stone? Why, destroy it to banish them all!...

Yeah. Counter-productive, much?

That has betrayal written all over it. Didn't quite know how she was going to betray us, but I knew she would. During act3 I felt she was sacrificing her daughter to stabilize the soul-stone, so that she could harness it's powers without negative effects, thus becoming the uber-demon final boss. Didn't know she was going to have her daughter become the vessel for her star-crossed lover... As a side note, would that make Adria an incestuous lesbian now?
Reply Quote

In the expansion you find out that character X is really your long lost brother.

Now, you're thinking like a Diablo writer.
Reply Quote
By the way on my first playtrough I did not use a follower so I did not receive these hints. As for Adria I will admit her attitude seemed fishy but at the time I simply thought Blizzard wanted to create a flawed character but still a good one.
Reply Quote
learn to be a little more jaded, if you spent 5 minutes thinking about the story in a jaded mindset, it would have been totally obvious all the way around. The problem with the story is that it assumes innocence on the part of the audience when most gamers are jaded people.
Reply Quote
I was surprised, not by the actual plot twist, but at the fact that they went through with that plot twist idea.
Reply Quote
06/26/2012 01:29 AMPosted by Shingan
learn to be a little more jaded, if you spent 5 minutes thinking about the story in a jaded mindset, it would have been totally obvious all the way around. The problem with the story is that it assumes innocence on the part of the audience when most gamers are jaded people.

I don't consider myself totally jaded...

I think a lot of the backlash comes from false advertising before and even during the game. Go YouTube some of the old Blizzard videos hyping the new Diablo game. Go read the interviews where the developers are blowing their own horns... and then compare that to what was delivered.

Same with in the game... the "Lord of Lies" and "Master Strategist" are written in such a way that their potential is never realized. Belial was so evident from minute one that most of us just took it in stride and just kept on playing. Azmodan was written into a situation that he couldn't possibly lose, just to make the hero look heroic.

And it's sad, the forums are full of better stories than what we got. Tyrael is Belial, Adria is Belial, Asheara is Belial... anything would have been more of a twist than... "Oh, the one NPC we've had conversations with, that opened all these doors... is the bad guy."
Reply Quote
@Shingan
Why should i be jaded? Did you enjoy solving the story before the end? :P
Reply Quote
Would have turned out so much better if the stranger who said he was Tyrael was actually Belial. Find out he had been misleading you to get ahold of soul stone from Zoltan Koulle. That would have been a real plot twist.
Reply Quote
Meh, don't let people troll ya, SVR. I think the foreshadowing is a little more than just subtle in this game, but if you aren't really lookin for it that stuff it is easy to miss.

Adria: Discovered she was on the bad side before I even met the grumpy harlot. In the sewers, Leah said she finds her mom and she's alive and my rude-!@# character just up and says something like, "You haven't seen your mother in a long time. Be careful, Leah, sometimes people aren't who you think they are!" for no apparent reason other than to make Leah sad OR tell you ADRIA WILL BETRAY YOU! (Very subtle, Blizzard, very subtle...)

Belial: First time I met the child prince I hoped he was Belial cuz I wanted to kill that little punk. Second time I met him I was sure he was Belial and happy that I was going to kill him but sad too because I realized that this was no joke...this is actually the real story to Diablo 3.

I will admit I didn't see Leah's death coming at all. No real build up to it, her "powers" didn't suggest she was gonna get possessed by big daddy D and just killed off like a tool. Probably only time I felt somewhat engaged in the D3 story. I hated Leah at first cuz she was tacked on and she was kinda forced in the Diablo universe imo. But, then I started realizing that every other character in this game is a psychopath and Leah was probably the closest character in the game to being non-1-dimensional

So, I grew a teeny bit on Leah as the game progressed but not for the right reasons. Excluding the comic relief, every other character is just kiinda bland and they really are all psychopaths lol so "winner by default". It's similar to how some girls have ugly friends to make them look prettier by comparison.
Reply Quote

Reply Quote
OP should read a book or at least watch some anime that focuses on the story like death note or.. i dunno.. FMA
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]