Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?
Linux isn't a supported OS, so in order to run the game, you have to be running something else that will make it work.

So basically, use at your own risk. You knew full well that the game wasn't supported on Linux, and you now know that Blizzard has systems that look for third-party software that affects their client.
Not to sound rude but if u guys had done some research u would have found that blizzard said that they will not support 3rd party programs and will actively enforce it so if ur friends knew about it they shouldve have known theyd be caught.
it isnt using a 3rd party program darthwraith, it is the operating system on our computers.

@nervarine. We played every blizzard game on linux to date they dont officially support it but they dont say anywhere that it isnt allowd. Why cant I play the game on my OS?
That is a lot of friends for one person to have that all use Linux and play D3, OP. How long did they ban you for?
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?

Pretty sure you won't get a refund EVER after playing 400 hours and especially after your 30 day period. As for your friends being banned, let me guess they were using something else they weren't supposed to like autohotkey.

Otherwise GO OUTSIDE.
I dont believe you. All you cheaters in every game say the same stuff.

Maybe a better spokesman should not have 'Hack' in his name no?
Edited by Hurk#1180 on 6/25/2012 11:03 AM PDT
it isnt using a 3rd party program darthwraith, it is the operating system on our computers.

@nervarine. We played every blizzard game on linux to date they dont officially support it but they dont say anywhere that it isnt allowd. Why cant I play the game on my OS?

The game isn't designed for Linux, so you are using a 3rd-party program to run it. Unless my understanding of how you get Windows games to run on Linux is faulty.

But basically, you knowingly played the game on an unsupported OS. You can't complain when that causes problems.
They didnt ban me yet, they banned my friends on irc who have played blizzard games with me since 1997 diablo 1. They are all perm banned forever. They posted tickets and all of them got back that they were "cheating" or using "3rd party programs". Which just like me they were using Linux as an OS not using any utility to give them any advantage.
06/25/2012 10:58 AMPosted by Darthwraith
Not to sound rude but if u guys had done some research u would have found that blizzard said that they will not support 3rd party programs

Not sure if trolling or extremely ignorant.

You won't be banned for using Linux. However it is already known that Wine can flag Warden into thinking you are using a third party program. WoW has this problem at times too. Not sure if they fixed it on WoW ... I haven't used Linux in about 5 years. Best bet, call Blizzard and talk to them about it.
You have 40 friends that use linux and play Diablo 3.

Your name is Hack Z
06/25/2012 11:02 AMPosted by TimGbow
That is a lot of friends for one person to have that all use Linux and play D3, OP. How long did they ban you for?

Don't be rational. It takes all of the fun out of overly sensational posts!
Maybe it doesn't play well with Wine if that's how they're trying to do it. Try grabbing VMWare and run it on a virtual machine with windows under Linux. You could always just make a NTFS partition and dual boot for video games. Graphics drivers on most Linux distros are fairly lackluster anyway.
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
I have about 40~ ish friends

All I needed to figure out this thread is LIE.

The game isn't designed for Linux, so you are using a 3rd-party program to run it. Unless my understanding of how you get Windows games to run on Linux is faulty.

But basically, you knowingly played the game on an unsupported OS. You can't complain when that causes problems.

it takes the same "3rd party programs" to run those d3 PE file on your windows OS, it reads the headers loads the libraries necessary into memory and runs the game as windows does. The D3 files arent being tampered with in any shape or form, they are being ran and executed how they were intended to be. They simply see some unfamiliar processes etc and warden is falsely assuming cheating. Why the sudden change in policy? I played Diablo1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft3, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 2 and Now Diablo 3 is the one that is banishing an os?
Just because you did it before is no excuse. You chose to take the risk, and finally got burned, now you're crying about it.
06/25/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Andarius
Maybe it doesn't play well with Wine if that's how they're trying to do it. Try grabbing VMWare and run it on a virtual machine with windows under Linux. You could always just make a NTFS partition and dual boot for video games. Graphics drivers on most Linux distros are fairly lackluster anyway.

I generally used to do that with virtualbox and vmware as a last hope type thing, since normally the fps is unplayable but the sandboxes are coming a long way in that direction
06/25/2012 11:08 AMPosted by BFPierce
Just because you did it before is no excuse. You chose to take the risk, and finally got burned, now you're crying about it.

As Stated 300 times in this thread, I didnt get banned yet, I am worried about getting banned playing legit is the purpose of this thread.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]