Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

06/25/2012 11:10 AMPosted by HackeZ
As Stated 300 times in this thread, I didnt get banned yet, I am worried about getting banned playing legit is the purpose of this thread.

You're not playing legit if you are using an unsupported OS. Stop assuming/saying you aren't violating any of your agreement with Blizzard.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 6/25/2012 1:15 PM PDT

In my opinion it confirms the worst stereotypes of mainstream os users.
You should pick up c/c++ and tell us how different programming is across the nixes.

Why on earth would it bother you that a native linux client would be made?

Where did I say it would bother me?

I said that it doesn't exist at this time, so stop acting like you're owed support for using an unsupported OS.

I don't act like that and the guy starting the thread didn't either. It just seems you have a very emotional stance towards linux.

We don't mind that our os is not supported but we'd like to not get banned using it. In the past these bans have happened and blizz reinstated the accounts. This will happen again i'm sure if there really is something going on.
06/25/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Ballmangler
What's up with the linux hate? Somebody has the balls to not use Windows AND make a thread about unintended (hopefully) bans? Outrageous!

What's actually outrageous is that you think not using Windows takes balls or makes you some kind of revolutionary.

Read that second sentence as sarcasm. Guess I'm going to have to start using [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags. :(

What I'm reading here is one guy wondering if he'll get banned for playing D3 on linux, and a bunch of people raging out because he should have known better, linux isn't supported, lunix/D3 is unnecessary, etc. None of which addresses the OP at all.

Which I was trying to illustrate with the sentence you quoted; people are ignoring the purpose of the thread to bash somebody for not using Windows.
What's up with the linux hate? Somebody has the balls to not use Windows AND make a thread about unintended (hopefully) bans? Outrageous!

These guys paid $60 for their game just like you did, and they aren't asking for the developers to support their OS choice, they just don't want to get banned while running the game on their chosen platform.

They should have known D3 wasn't supported on linux? Please, of course they knew. What they weren't aware of was the ban hammer getting dropped because of it. It isn't unreasonable to ask if anyone else has had the same problem or has found a solution.

They are asking for support for Linux from the developers. But Blizzard doesn't offer support for Linux so you cannot play D3 on Linux. Bottom line. What is so hard to understand about that?
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 6/25/2012 1:26 PM PDT
View profile
Sorry, what I quoted sounds like something a Linux fanboy would say with seriousness.
This is sad if it's true and Blizzard does nothing about it. Blizzard has historically had amazing linux support for its games (albeit unofficial). In fact, I can't think of a single game since the first Diablo that hasn't run amazingly well using WINE. I wouldn't be surprised if warden gets updated to fix these false positives from Linux users. I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't though...

And to the people in this thread saying, "Oh well you chose to use an unsupported OS tough !@#$". Shame on you. These players have been robbed of $60 and you know it.
06/25/2012 01:02 PMPosted by goobypls
Typical discussion with Linux users. Started with whining that some program doesn't run under Linux and ends with imbecile discussions about software ideology and what recursive acronyms stand for... you Linux guys are so 1990 *sigh*

You are hilarious. Either your failed attempt at trolling is funnier than the gist of what you say, or the fact that you actually believe this is more depressing than this entire thread.

Nobody claimed that 'It's not working'. When I still cared to play this horribly broken game, it worked perfectly in Wine. OP was not saying 'It doesn't run under Linux', instead that Warden has a brain fart and bans people running the game in Wine.

Curious what alternative recourse you'd propose against ignorance when there are people making claims on here that have NOT THE SLIGHTEST SHRED OF A CLUE what they are talking about.

You Troll guys are so 20derp
06/25/2012 01:19 PMPosted by BannedName
They are asking for support for Linus from the developers. But Blizzard doesn't offer support for Linux so you cannot play D3 on Linux. Bottom line. What is so hard to understand about that?

They aren't asking for linux support though, they're asking not to be banned for playing on linux. Please support my OS != please don't ban me for my OS.

These guys paid $60 for their game just like you did, and they aren't asking for the developers to support their OS choice, they just don't want to get banned while running the game on their chosen platform.

They should have known D3 wasn't supported on linux? Please, of course they knew. What they weren't aware of was the ban hammer getting dropped because of it. It isn't unreasonable to ask if anyone else has had the same problem or has found a solution.

They are asking for support for Linus from the developers. But Blizzard doesn't offer support for Linux so you cannot play D3 on Linux. Bottom line. What is so hard to understand about that?

Again more people putting words in blizzards mouth, blizzard over the last decade has said we allow Linux use but we wont support it. Is it hard to understand the difference between disallow and not supported? We dont need support a good majority of linux users are power users we can make it work, we just dont want to be banned when we play the game the same way windows users do.
90 Human Warrior
06/25/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Pentalis
You're emulating windows, Get windows, otherwise risk being banned.

WINE means WINE Is Not an Emulator.

We're not emulating Windows.

Edit: it's not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer.

https://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.misc/msg/eb77fac360ad4a52?dmode=source
Seriously.

Again more people putting words in blizzards mouth, blizzard over the last decade has said we allow Linux use but we wont support it. Is it hard to understand the difference between disallow and not supported? We dont need support a good majority of linux users are power users we can make it work, we just dont want to be banned when we play the game the same way windows users do.

They have the same stance CCP does with there linux users we dont support the os actually at one point CCP did though coligeium...shutters but Blizzard doesn't care that u play under linux linux users dont just want to be banned for it.... Not a hard concept to grasp.

Hard for alot of the ignorant linux bashers in this thread apparently.
Linux uses a thrid party program to run windows or mac software. The program that runs these applications can hide any bot activities. I have tryed it with Diablo 2 and few other games.
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

I don't see no linux.
You farmers need to get a life.
85 Tauren Paladin
I dont get it, are ppl really that stupid?

1st off, yes it is very possible to know 40 ppl that play d3 using linux, as the op stated, he knew them from irc (internet relay chat) and thats where most of us *nix users hang out

2nd of all i have used cedega to play wow, sc2, d2,wc3, and now d3 with out any issue at all. If your friends got banned they need to call blizz because there is no problem at all using linux to play bliz games.

For all you just posting crap about the supported system specs and TOS, there is nothing in the tos that says you have to use mac or windows, second of all the reason the support system specs only have mac and windows listed is because thats all they coded the game to run on, all cedega and wine does is translats the api calls that windows programs us into linux api commands, thats it. Whats not "legit" about that? He isnt hacking, he isnt using some autokey program, just playing a game in a superior os. And before the unintelligent start rabbeling on about windows this and mac that, i get on avg (depending on the game) 20 to 30% higher fps emulating windowsn in linux than i do running windows nativly
85 Tauren Druid
06/25/2012 01:25 PMPosted by ace700
Linux uses a thrid party program to run windows or mac software. The program that runs these applications can hide any bot activities. I have tryed it with Diablo 2 and few other games.

That's generally true of the mac native version too. Warden is only on windows, last I heard. Also, everyone runs a third party program to run windows or mac software, as blizzard does not make windows or os x.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]